KO City Commander Armor

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kup-is-Dion, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I finally got an UM and don't want to pay a small fortune for the FP armor. Is the KO any good?

2. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, check the reviews on the search. I love all ko, but I would not buy this ko set, unless its 35.00 which was the original price.

3. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

for the price and the look of it. yes. i wish all 3rd products were KOed. i'd rather pay less. screw the support.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just have to laugh at 3rd party stuff getting KO'd.

5. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard its junk, but its better than nothing.

6. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BTW great siggy kup-is-dion

7. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Thanks!

8. GunBusterX

GunBusterX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    KO looks great but it takes a bit of modding to get it to stay on properly. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for one.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    It costs less than the original, but it's also lower quality. "For the look of it," sure it looks like the original, but if you buy it and it ends up not fitting on your Magnus, then you'll still be disappointed that you bought it, regardless of the lower price. It's about more than the look of it. You'd be paying more for the original, but you'd be more assured of it actually working (granted, I wouldnt pay the ebay prices, but the original price was doable)

10. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's great and worth it. The only problem is that the shoulders are a little loose. It sits nicely for display, but i've found that as I just walk around over time, subtle vibrations + gravity will shift it down. A couple of discrete folded scraps of paper solves it.

11. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I got mine last week. Except for not having the launchers, I am satisfied, I dont do anything with my figs but have them on a shelf, so it works fine. The gloves are a little loose, they would fall if the arms werent up.
    Also, the paint seems a little funny, but no complaints.
    Getting him next to Warbot, Delicate Warrior etc was a mission accomplished!
    I just need the launchers/gun someday.

Oh, also, the guns are hard to get to stay in place on his back shoulders, the black one I couldnt even get to fit, and the white one was held by gravity

Its better than paying 300 bucks for it to have tight arms and still just sit. So Im happy

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the ko of shadow i got took me four hours to get it to fit snugly with nail polish, layer after layer of the stuff, finally gave away the armor and got the official one

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    City Commander KO sucks. The shadow commander is a tad better and powered commander is pretty good I hear.

14. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
  15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I had to smother half of the insides of the DIA KO with sticky-tac to get it to fit snugly. I don't quite recommend it

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Can't say anything per se about the City Commander KO, but I do have the Shadow Commander KO. It's decent, but not exactly display worthy. Play-worthy isn't even in the question since the original wasn't either.

But yeah, good for customizing, bad for anything else.

17. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

A KO product of a KO product. That's awesome.

18. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    For the price KO Toys is charging, it's hard to say no to the KO DIA Commander if you have no Magnus Armor at all. Yes, it requires a little TLC to get it to fit snugly, but an hour applying varnish or layering some paper/foil/styrene inside the shoulders is a small price to pay in my opinion for a savings of a couple hundred dollars.

Also, It's not as though purchasing such a thing is taking money out of Fansproject's pockets. IP issues aside, they sold through their entire inventory ages ago. They don't make a dime off of the inflated prices these armors now fetch. They got MSRP x however many they made. It's for this reason that I suspect they will one day reissue at least City Commander if not the other armors as well. But their plates are full, who knows when they'll get around to it. But it'll happen, bank on it, unless a popular mainstream Ultra Magnus figure is released using a different mold as the cab.

As I've said time and time again, people typically don't throw away molds that made them tons of money, and I think it's fair to call City Commander their "signature" product. Still, in the meantime, your little white truck is getting cold. Grab him some temporary KO Armor and learn to paint it if you don't already know how. Being mostly flat surfaces, the Commander Armors are relatively easy paint projects and DIA Commander becomes City Commander so easy... except for the added bonus that DIA commander has chrome knees!