KO C-123, C-124 Dial and Zaur

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by supervir2, Oct 25, 2011.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    It seems my copies made it to me relatively fast. No pics at the moment, unfortunately, but I can upload some tomorrow if I'm not beaten to it (plus KOtoys already has pics up)

These came from KOToys.com and were actually the BEST packed items I've received from there...they were stacked on one another such that the 'card' portion of the box wasn't bent and then surrounded by well-applied bubblewrap that was nicely taped w/ the traditional foam surrounding all of that. I suppos your mileage may vary.

Once you open the box (no tape), there is a white plastic tray w/ two depressions: one holding the cassette in w/ friction and the other loosely holding the bagged weapons. Beneath this is a folded instruction sheet w/ a small tech spec-ish card, red decoder slip, and a sticker sheet.

Dial: Slightly loose upon removal from the tray - on my copy, the dino toes are the worst culprit. I just pushed on the rivet/pin and it tightened nicely. Did that a few other places and it became quite acceptable from a 'joint tolerance' perspective. Your mileage may vary. Not much else to say - the mold seems pretty crisp w/a very slight bit of flashing on the knob that locks down his beast head being the only defect to my eyes. I haven't attempted to combine them yet.

Zaur: Tighter than my Dial aside from his most distal neck joint which has a screw. It isn't bad, but I'll probably get a screwdriver and tighten it a tad. As w/ Dial, the molding seems fine and I have no real crits.

Stickers - unapplied as of now (a bit leery of messing them up frankly). Zaur's sheet seems a little better than Dial's just because of the presentation. I'll see if I can get a pic to make that more clear...Zaur's are layed out like a landscape print setting w/ the long side lengthwise whereas Dial's are set up like a normal document and my sheet has the sides cut diagonally (which I don't think affects the stickers themselves, but looks awkward).

Overall, they're a refreshing departure from all the American cassettes and it is neat to finally handle copies of these molds. At 40 bucks for the pair, I have no reservations recommending them if you have any interest.

Crappy phone pics:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/supervir2/Mobile Uploads/IMG_1642.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/supervir2/Mobile Uploads/IMG_1937.jpg

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking forward to seeing how these would turn out; mine are supposed to be somewhere in the mail systems of the world.
    Good to hear that these have been packaged well and that they are generally value for money.
    I would be interested in a picture of the two combined, though.

3. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I anxiously await mine too. I'm going to compare them to my friend's vintage versions to see if there are any noticeable differences to the boxes or toys themselves.

4. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

So, the BIG question... do they feel like the real deal, or like a KO?

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
  6. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    These are really cool. KOtoys packaged them well with the boxes protected in bubble wrap, then surrrounded with foam, before they were put in the shipping box. I got my set in perfect condition. Im really happy with the quality of these guys, although I dont have an original set to compare to. I was worried at first with talk of the bad paint application to the eyes, and the "melted" face for the combiner bot, but my set has well applied paint, and no noticeable "melt" on the face. Dial did have a loose arm, but just a little push on the face of the rivit tightened it up. Again, I dont have an original to compare it to, but all in all, a very nice substitute, especially for the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Very nice, I might have to pick up the pair. :thumbs2: 

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

these pics, and the fact that people seem to be getting them just fine from ko toys, just sold me on them. thanks!

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Good to see Dial can have his body folded together. For some reason all the pics I've seen (majority mirrored from KOTOYS, i think) have it's body flared outwards. Looks much better in these pics. Still not sold on these two, but I thought the pics were worth commenting on.

Any pics of the combined mode?

10. turboedguy

News Credits:
    I took a few more pics. I applied the stickers and attached the weapons. Combined mode is ok, but just like all the combiner cassettes, leaves plenty to be desired. The stickers fit pretty well, and the weapons attached firmly, if a little tight. The paint apps on the combiner face was a little sloppy, but not bad. I have seen Takara/Hasbro paint apps worse.

Again, I am very happy with these guys and highly recommend them to anyone on the fence about purchasing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    @turboedguy: thanks for pointing out link from cobra zartan. and thanks cobra for providing link

Appreciate the review. Can't wait to get my set. Actually ordered two, might try trading the other set or using for a custom. Still curious about any similarities between these KO's and originals though. As I still, definitely, want to get the originals want to know what to be on the look out for. Gonna be a bit more work making sure I don't get cheated and end up with knockoffs.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. turboedguy

News Credits:
    Check out the link in post #5.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very happy to hear these reviews can't wait to receive mine, other than slamdance, the combined modes all look "off" but his i like,

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    . Dial is pretty tall in dino mode, and the various joints make for fair poseability and interesting possible alternate modes.

. Zaur has the better tape mode, and an adorable tiny apatosaur mode.

. Legout ... exists, and isn't particularly worse than other tape cassette combined forms IMO.

. I don't have genuine dino-tapes to compare to, but the quality seems decent. There's some 'softness' to the molding detail, as one might expect from KO's, but everything fits as it appears it should.

Cons:
    . There are some issues with loose joints, which require fiddling with the screws or rivets to tighten up. The biggest issue I noticed was a few rivets that were not 'bloomed' to hold them in place from both ends. I found this can be helped with judicious application of a hammer and nail.

. The tape label stickers need to be applied, and you'll probably have to trim them to keep them from going over the edges everywhere. I kinda wish they tampo'd the label details, for a cleaner look and to distinguish this version from the originals.

. Dial is kinda spindly and doofy-looking, and the dino head gives its tape mode one rounded-off corner. Legout is just kinda iffy all-around.

Overall: Considering what genuine dino-tapes go for nowadays, I feel these two are worth the price of admission for tape collectors. Perhaps it helps to not have them side-by-side, as the quality level is not immediately apparent without something else to set the baseline. I love little Zaur/Zauru/Jimmy, and would love to get another of just that one if I could get it cheap enough.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  15. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just received mine and I am not happy. The quality isn't as bad as a Big Lots knock off, but it is closer to that than to the worst Hasbro quality control problem that I have ever received. Plenty of floppy joints everywhere. I can't mess with most of the screws to tighten the joints because their heads have been worn down. Poorly bloomed rivets and scratched up rivet heads. The dark blue plastic on half of Zaur looks all scrapped. One of Zaur's eyes is oversprayed and the combiner head on Dial is undersprayed. Mine may work for display, but the loose joints limit poseability and playability. I didn't expect these to be as good as the originals, but I expected better. They feel like cheap knock offs instead of lower priced reproductions. I hope that I just received a bad pair, but I wanted others to be aware of what might happen to them. Good luck everyone.

16. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to bite if they still have these when I get my bonus check on Friday. They are too cool. For 50 Bones, I feel they are worth it.

17. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I too received these today.
    Packaging (and the tracking for it) was excellent: they came through entirely unscathed.

When it comes to Dial and Zaur themselves, however, mine both do have issues. The joints on both are passably stif, except for Dial's head, which is pretty loose. Considering what I've read in this thread, that's easily fixed. More annoying problems are the following:

Zaur's dark-blue plastic looks slightly rough, like someone pushed it across a sandy table. More importantly, his rear left leg is the same as his right front leg (which makes it slightly thinner and with the toe pointing the wrong way). It's not very obvious, and doesn't impede transformation, but it's wrong.

Dial's component parts were all correct on mine. However, issue with Dial was that mine came with another set of Zaur's chrome guns!

I'm going to chance it and try to see if KOtoys's "world-famous" customer service can do anything to fix these problems for me. I don't need them replaced, but a new set of Dial's guns would be nice, as would the proper leg for Zaur. Wish me luck guys!

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Coming from someone who had the originals. These are pretty close in quality except for the rivets which as was mentioned needs tightening in some areas. The stickers are crap. You do need to trim them and they are not like the originals. Also, a few areas are not as crisp as the originals. Most noticeable is when you combine them. Mine was a floppy mess. Basically they sat on top of each other and did not click together as the original did. This might just be mine but i did get two sets and they both did the same thing. Also, for those into Japanese bots and paperwork. The bio cards are shrunken. About a third of the original size. The box is dead on as is the eggshell insert. The guns are also dead on and the paint apps on the two sets I got were very good. Overall, they are good stand ins for someone who does not want to pay the outrageous price for the originals. I give them a 7 out of 10 only because of the combined problem I experienced. Also, it is funny but the same arm on mine needed to be tighten as others have stated.

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I wouldn't mind a set of these. Any other places to buy them other then KO Toys?

20. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    Remake C-123 - Dial & C-124 - Zaur

I don't own the originals so I can't do a comparison review like I've done in the past for other KO/remake figures. But here's what I can see from these KO/remakes

[​IMG]
    Box print quality is good. No complaints there.

Each figure comes with filecard, instruction sheet, sticker sheet & tech spec decoder strip. Stickers are pretty well made and fit the figures well. Again no complaints

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transforms well. Only complain is that the joints on one of Dial's legs are pretty loose and can be tricky to pose. Difficult, but not impossible. Zaur has pretty good joints but his body shows scratches which I think has something to do with the mold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pic of the crappy combine mode. Crappy even for G1 standards.

[​IMG]

Overall, no harm getting it for that price IMO.