KO Bumblebee "Super Change Robot - Super Vespid"

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Astronut, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I did what is probably the number one mistake of any new collector. I thought to myself "Ok, it's a knock-off, but how bad can it really be?"
    And then bought the thing.
    I can't compare it to RotF BB as I don't have it yet. I'm just going to assume the official one is better.

The feel:
    First impression when getting out of the packaging was: Wow, it really is bad. The plastic feels very cheap, has stress marks several places and has a lot of "left over" pieces sticking out. Like they didn't really manage to get it out of the mold properly.
    It feels like it's going to break at any minute, and that's not good since you really have to force this one to transform. Super Vespid is a reluctant transformer.

The packaging:

[​IMG]
    It's clearly reminiscent of RotF packagings, but so much worse. Hard to explain what's bad about it, but it feels cheap, like the figure itself.
    Notice the chimpanzee-like "autobot" symbol.

Now the front view in vehicle mode:

[​IMG]
    Notice how it looks kind of... "bent"? It's even worse in real life. The camera makes it look better than it is. You can see the front wheels are crooked, so this guy isn't going anywhere in his vehicle mode.

Side views:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh my...
    Yes he is transforced correctly. The hinges on the doors are bigger than... they should be, obviously. The doors don't close and the gap speaks for itself, the hood is open where he's trying to hide his head, and let's just ignore the paint specks on the windshield, shall we? Wonderful stress marks on the sides of the doors.

Robot mode:

[​IMG]
    It doesn't look TOO bad... but again he feels way worse than the camera picks up. Notice how his gun comes with a normal grip, but none of his hands can hold anything. You have to shove the gun inside his arm cannon.

Here's a very blurry picture of his other hand, which has no hole in the fist. So it's useless.
    [​IMG]

Specially since he must have stolen Fortress Maximus' sword, or something. Because it just looks "a little" too big for BB:
    [​IMG]
    and he has to hold it up like that all the time. one swing and it goes flying out of his hand.

He also comes with a club of some sort, which fits into his cannon and is just as useless as the sword.
    [​IMG]

Articulation:
    Swivel shoulders attached to the doors who also swivel.
    Swivel elbows
    Nothing in the wrists
    Nothing in the waist, although his chest can kind of move up and down because of the transforcement.
    Ball jointed hips, very limited by hard, cheap plastic bits.
    Swivel knees.
    Nothing in the ankles or feet.

The latter makes him less posable than what the first impression led me to believe, since the entire part below the knee is one piece (+ wheel).
    But after a while he was able to do this, when placed on one specific part of the table:
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    If you're out of money and want to buy a cheap toy for your kids (and fool them into thinking this is the real deal), don't get this one. The sword is sharp enough to do some real damage, and the kids will most likely see that something is wrong when they notice his name is "Super Vespid".
    If you think knock-offs are kinda cool, don't get it. Because what's the point with a ugly toy that doesn't display well and feels like it's going to break into tiny sharp plastic pieces when you touch it?

Score: 2/10

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far :) 

2. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    This wasn't a review of an object. It was a well done review of a failed object.

I introduce a new verb into the interweb lexicon. "Failview".

So you did a great job with this Failview! :thumb 

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This a knockoff of any particular Bumblebee toy? Looks like it might be based on the FAB.

4. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Failview, because it was a failed review, or a failed object? or both? ;) 
    Thanks man, it's my first toy review ever, and I'm very new at collecting, so it's probably not excellent.

I don't really care about movie toylines so I have no idea, sorry.

5. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's definitely the FAB.

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow...

I kinda like the accessories that go into the missile hand.

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Only because it is a failed object. You did a great job with the review, and I would definitely encourage you to keep reviewing other figures.

8. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

Yikes, what a mess of a so-called TF. I've seen them being sold in my neighborhood for $20 a piece, kinda pricey for a KO. It's a shame that the store that sells them also has remote controlled cars, die-cast replica cars, trucks, and videogames. Movie BB puts this KO to the ground. Good review for a failview.