Minor/Repaint: KO BT's with some alterations

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tech Spec, May 27, 2007.

1. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    So I got some BT Subaru Impreza KO's recently and I knew they were not going to stay as is and were not going to be Autobots. I planned on making a few alterations to both of them to give them that Decepticon feel. I am not a hardcore kitbasher but like to do small alterations to make the bots look better. I finished one of them which was the gun metal grey one. Honest opinions/criticisms are always welcome... you ain't gotta lie to kick it :D 

So heres what they looked like before:

[​IMG]

Heres the first one completed, he is a Decepticon named him Oil Slick. I stripped the paint off the head and it was already black which worked in my favor. Painted the eyes red, after I just dyed the forearms and legs black. Also switched the grills from a black to chrome one, then added faction symbols on the arms and gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have the second to work on, but I am having trouble figuring out what color to dye the parts. The car body paint is more orange than it is red and the red forearms and legs didn't go well. Should I dye these parts black or orange? Lemme know your thoughts.

[​IMG]

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I recently got the KO BTs (except the red WRX. It was out of stock and I'm just waiting for the seller to send it to me) and I plan to make some minor alterations as well. :) 

Your first mod looks really cool! I really like the all black color scheme you chose! :thumb 

As for the second, this is the point where I'd make a quick and dirty digibash just to see what colors I'd like better. I actually have a red WRX of both of your suggested colors (Thrust and Redline). If you're interested, just click my sig and surf around my PB account for em. I hope that helps! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Did they have the white hound? Love the darkness

4. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! I will try dying the parts orange tomorrow and see how it turns out. Your Redline bash helped me out man, thanks for that. I wonder if i'm going color blind coz the red Subaru I have looks more orange.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You're very welcome; glad I could help!

It may be the photos, but it's red, but the orange parts will make it look a bit more orange perhaps.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Where are people picking these up? The ones I've seen on ebay cost as much as real BTs.

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Wait till you see it in person... you'll be just as confused as me :lol  Even my GF says is like it looks more orange but she is unsure too.

Got this from a fellow board member.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, given the fact that I have 2 red WRXs, that would work in my favor. (Hehe, forgive my egocentrism, I thought you were referring to my Redline custom :lolol )

9. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    :lolol  Yah I was talking about the KO I have, you prolly won't have a brain cramp like I had for the past few hours trying to figure out the color of this KO.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well thanks for the heads up about the color though! Now I just have to wait for mine to get here along with 2 replacements of the Vipers (the legs were misassembled).

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I like the decal and the label work, especially on Oil Slick.

12. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Heres the other KO... been lazy to post it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Argh!!! That makes me want my red WRX KO BT more now! [I ordered all of them, but ke-shop is out of that one, but said he will ship when he gets it.*]

That looks great! Nice work on making this guy your own :thumb 

*Also, two of my Vipers had misassembled legs, so I'm awaiting replacements of those as well . . . .

14. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I know you are only doing 'cons but that red wRX makes a brilliant Cliffjumper. I did one with the BT Alert head and black highlights and it looks great in the rally deco

Regards

JL

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Very nice work! What's the quality like on these KOs?

16. icanfly

Ebay:
    They are not as good as the originals obviously. But the have die-cast. Joints a bit loose and plastic has tendancy to break if not careful (especially in the off tight joint - KO hounds shoiulder snapped first try). But not too bad overall.
    Bought a KO Alt Grimmy the other day that is a different make that ive never seen. will let ya know about the quality on it before I convert it to Alt Siren

Regards

JL

17. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Funny... as soon as I pieced the bot together I was thinking the same thing too.

18. icanfly

Ebay:
    My CJ is very similar to your repaint, but has black shoulders & grey forearms. Ill try dig some pics up tomorrow. Works very well

JL

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Draven, the quality on these KO BTs is actually really nice. They are, of course, just a little sub-par than an actual Binal Tech toy. In terms of KOs, the quality on them is some of the best I've ever seen. With the VIpers, the hood has a tendency to flop a bit more, as well as the doors on my white Hound are a bit more loose. Also, the ball joints on the hips don't seem to support the whole figure as well (being that the shell is diecast metal does heavily play on that though). The Vipers have a bit of issues with their torsos staying together in robot mode as well. To me though, that seems more like the quality of a played-with toy than "junk' as some KOs are.

As from my quote above, I recently ordered them, and two of my Vipers had misassembled legs. It would REEAAAaaaaallly take some work to even swap out if I had some junked out Alts/BTs. Out of the 6 Vipers I have, 2 of these had the legs misassembled. I've actually never heard of this problem before though, so I could have just gotten two that happed to have been misassembled wrongly. The seller is actually sending me 2 replacements here very soon though :D 

Here are some photos where hopefully you guys can see the problem I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the photos, its not just the upper leg pieces that are assembled wrongly (one could easily fix that with a junker Viper), but it's also the part below them. All of those parts are made specifically for either a left or right leg. That would require a soldering iron for the pin removal, the extra parts (not a huge problem), and then reassembly. Reassembly would require that pin to be properly secured back onto the diecast frame. That makes me tired just thinking about it.

IMO, they're worth about $30 or so each, but a lot more than than and one is getting ripped off. I hope that helps! :thumb 

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Goddammit! Quad, Tech Spec...You're making me want to spend money that's not there! I want KO BTs! :cry