KO BTA Alert... or is it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ShadowStitch, May 22, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Here we have Smokescreen all dolled up like BTA Alert. And while he's a convincing imitation, he's definitely not the same as the real thing, for a number of reasons that aren't immediately obvious until you closely compare the two...

[​IMG]
    "Oh Y hlo thar"

The biggest offender, something you MIGHT not have noticed right off the bat, is that he doesn't have Alert's head, which is a repaint of Silverstreak's head. He has Smokescreen's head, repainted red.

This really doesn't make any sense to me, as the manufacturer A&L also makes a Silverstreak KO with the correct head. But it isn't like A&L is particularly dedicated to the authenticity of their craft, and it IS a bootleg after all...

(Click for larger)
    [​IMG]
    "The Usual Suspects"

Plus, it's not even molded in red plastic -- it's whatever colors they had laying around the factory floor, (mine was half blue, half white on the inside...wut?) and painted with red paint.

So if you were planning on picking up one of these KOs with a grand scheme of replacing your Prowl's head for a quick n dirty Red Alert bash... you might want to rethink it. Instead, I would advise removing your Prowl's head and picking up a cheap can of red gloss Fusion spray paint for a little DIY action.

[​IMG]
    "Stop staring at my headlights."

The robot mode is decent enough -- at least on par with the other KOs in terms of quality. Like many KOs, you're going to have to give it a little TLC to make it acceptably un-floppy, thanks to the heavy diecast parts and the random assortment of loose joints... but that's nothing new or surprising. You'll need to carve off some sprue thorns, switch the forearms if they've been swapped at the factory, nail polish the ball joints, tighten some screws... the usual KO tuneup.

Oh, and you'll need some faction reprolabels, due to the curious absence of a faction symbol on his arm, despite the red outline of where it OUGHT to be. Though if you're a frequent buyer of any sort of KO figure, you've probably already got them at the ready. :lol  At least A&L doesn't try to add a fakeso wannabe autobot symbol, like the ones found on the KO Prowls and Mustang Alts.

If you look in my photos at the portion of the rear windshield that forms his shins, you'll notice a broken bit on the window of his left leg. The clear plastic used on these KOs is sometimes brittle, and so it was in this case, where the peg that connects to the roof simply snapped off. I eventually managed to get it to stay with 2-part 5-minute epoxy, and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects from the repair.

[​IMG]
    "Fingerprints, serial numbers, faction symbols...it's clean, boss."

The gun is the standard KO Subaru Special, with no identifying marks or faction symbols. For a cop to be using an unmarked weapon is pretty shady, if you ask me.

The Kanji details printed on the doors and spoiler are nice and clear -- much nicer than this crappy photo might indicate, though the paint on mine's vehicle mode is not quite as good...

[​IMG]
    "Cop Tires. Cop Suspension. Cop Shocks."

The figure is a mixture of diecast and white plastic, and since this figure features lots of black paint on multiple body panels, there's a lot of chances for things to go wrong. The black painted parts on mine are no worse than Classics Prowl, though in the case of the driver side back seat door, really screwed up.

[​IMG]

It's hard to see even in this detail picture, but the black paint app is so rough and splotchy that I seriously considered sanding it down and repainting it.

[​IMG]
    "Step off my grill."

Looking at the front of the car and comparing it to the real BTA Alert yields more glaring evidence that it's just a Smokescreen repaint. To wit: The hood pins, the lack of Fog lights, the vented body kit, the missing license plate... It really would have been better if they had started with a Silverstreak mold and moved on from there, but I have to give them credit for crafting an admirable mimic from an entirely WRONG figure.

[​IMG]

If you wanted to get nitpickingly specific based on taxonomy alone, you could say this is an different figure than Alert, an "Alert decoy," or an Autolooper sort of drone... especially since, well...

[​IMG]
    "Wrong country, dillhole."

He's got completely different wheels -- The usual hilarious "ybertronial adials" on Silver versions of Smokescreen's 10-spoke hubs instead of Alert's gold 5-spoke versions, and if you'll notice, the steering wheel is on the Left instead of the Right, making this version a weird import or some sort of freaky custom.

Put him side by side with a real BTA Alert, and it they'd look like totally different cars with similar paintjobs. For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the lack of paint apps on the trunk parts, the missing rear window defroster (ensuring he can't see behind him on cold days) and the blank license plate just waiting for you to give him a new identity. So I suppose that's at least one point in his favor -- at no point does KO "Alert" claim to be a police car. In English, anyways.

The packaging is your typical "Metals Transform" or "Conversion Metals" box, either packaged standing in Bot mode or in an imitation BT Box in Car mode -- Either way he's not fooling anyone, so it shouldn't be very hard to differentiate between the real deal and this guy. He's available at the KOToys shop here.

[​IMG]

So...final verdict? he's sort of neat to have, from a novelty perspective; He's Alert, but not. He's another passable KO imitation of a much more expensive figure, and if you can ignore the little QC issues and snag a decent one, he might make a neat acquisition for the Alt & BT collector who has it all.

[​IMG]
    "Mom? Dad?"

[​IMG]

"WHO AM I!?!"

2. ryan_bigdawg

ryan_bigdawg Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for this review its made me more prepared for this figure

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been looking for this one, all I've seen so farthough have been the white hound, bt ko smokescreen and a bt smokescreen in red.

If i see this one I'll probably gethim and customise that alt silverstreak I've got lying around by switching some parts.

4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw some of these today, reading this I might pick a red Smokescreen KO up for kitbash material.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nice!
    :lol 

zmog

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review man! This is making it much easier for me to pass on this one as well. :lol