KO BT Laserwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by deejemon, Nov 9, 2007.

1. deejemon

deejemon Active Member

Received this guy recently, figured I'd post some thoughts.

(Click here for a few more images.)

[​IMG]

Packaging
    Unlike other BT KOs that I have, Laserwave arrived, in vehicle mode, in just a clear plastic bubble, like the kind normally found inside genuine BT boxes. It didn't have any outer box, of any of the previous styles. I don't know if this is how this figure comes or whether it was the seller. However, the instructions were packaged inside this bubble, down the trunk end. Fortunately the bubble was packed well by the seller, so arrived intact and without damage.

Speaking of the instructions, they're unusual as far as my experience goes. It was simply a single sheet, sort of Alternators-style, black line-art on white paper. However it was two-sided, one side detailing robot-to-vehicle transformation, with vehicle-to-robot on the other side. Instead of simply "reverse the instructions to transform back". Images "inspired" by the Binaltech ones adorn the instructions.

Considering the simplified artwork on the instructions instead of the color BT booklet replicas supplied with other KOs, I'm leaning towards this plain bubble just being how this figure comes packaged.

(I would have taken some pics of the instructions, but I only have a cameraphone and couldn't get them to come out clearly.)

Laserwave: Vehicle Mode
    When he arrived, Laserwave's roof was not seated properly, but I found this was because the rear seats weren't folded down properly. A little fiddling got them seated properly, and it wasn't too hard to get him into a respectable looking vehicle mode. As with most BT KOs, there are some alignment problems, but they're not as severe as the Viper and Subaru KOs. Mostly it came down to choosing between his running board under the front doors having a bit of a gap, or the rear door unseated slightly.

His bodywork is completely devoid of any trademark-infringing logos; no Mazda or RX-8 badges on his hood or trunk, and his license plate is totally blank, with no name or insignia. The windows appear slightly "frosted", which is to say the clear plastic seems to be a bit cheap.

Laserwave: Robot Mode
    Transformation is obviously the same as the genuine article. He is noticeably floppy in some areas, while very stiff in others. As a result, transformation took a little longer, just trying to keep things out of the way, or bend legs that seemed to be resisting, as well as the fact that KOs simply don't transform as smoothly as the real thing, with more wiggling required.

The good news though is that most of the floppiness (eg: rear doors, front seats, rear seats) doesn't really affect his robot mode, and some of the stiffness does aid a little in counteracting some of the downsides normally found in KOs. Unlike the real figure, his chest doesn't lock into place with his torso, but gravity does the job, the car roof is floppy when rotated around on his back the "official" way, but happily stays put if you don't flip it over and simply fold up the rear window, and his waist rotates very easily, which may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you're doing with him.

Like vehicle mode, his robot mode is also missing the insignia normally found on his shoulder. His Alternators-style cone-and-hole mechanism for the steering gimmick is visible on his shoulder rather than a magnet that you find on a BT.

He stands straight quite readily, which is an accomplishment in itself, and can be placed in some dynamic poses. Pretty good for a KO, when some can barely stand upright. His hip joints seem to be a bit loose - they're not ratcheted - so tends to go into a sideways split if you get a little ambitious with the lunging poses. But keep it sane and make use of gravity and surface friction, and he can strike some nice poses.

[​IMG]

He wouldn't be Laserwave (or Shockwave) without his gun arm or cyclopean head, and it's faithfully replicated here. However the gun arm on mine popped out very easliy the first time I transformed him. Normally it should pop back easily, but this one didn't want to stay in. In the end I kind of wedged it in. The barrel sits at a slight angle, but it's the kind of angle that you might normally position it in for posing. It's just that you can't move/articulate this one or it will pop back out.

The RX-8 muffler gun is included, but for some reason mine is missing the handle for him to hold. I don't know if this is typical. This weapon is designed to also attach to the arm at the elbow, functioning (on Laserwave at least) as a power amplifier to his gun arm, so normally I'd just attach it here. However on this KO, the peg just does not seem to fit the elbow hole, so this wasn't an option either (the same peg fits correctly into the underside of the car for muffler mode). Fortunately, this is Laserwave, so his primary weapon is built-in, otherwise I'd be a little more annoyed, from having an un-armed robot.

His head is all the one blue/purple color, rather than having the Alt or BT's silver coloring on the antenna pieces. He even has light-piping, like the genuine item, although his eye is more of a clear color (with a slight light-blue tint). The head seems to have two positions - looking at horizon level, or looking directly up. Positioning it anywhere in between causes the head to flop backwards so he's looking straight up. Only vertical articulation appears to be affected, horizontal seems to be okay, so he can look left and right just fine.

[​IMG]

Being a BT KO, he's expected to have metal components, and from what I can tell, he has diecast in the same places as BT Laserwave. His paintjob isn't bad, although it has a few imperfections and doesn't have the same metal flake effect as the real BT, but it matches his plastic bits well.

Overall
    You cannot go and buy one of these expecting a substitute for the real thing. The Alts and BTs seem to be the hardest KOs to get right, simply due to the high level of engineering involved, and there have been some shocking ones; Lambor and Dead End in particular. So, while some KOs such as G1s might come pretty close, usually the most you can hope from an Alt/BT KO is that the flaws are not too hard to work around.

That's certainly the case with Laserwave, because while he does have a few issues, he looks nice, doesn't have any horrible misalignments, and although his transform is a little more challenging to get through, it comes together pretty nicely. The replication of the light-piping and the translucent gun arm are also appreciated. Laserwave is said to have five holographic duplicates, so I suppose you could say this is one of them.

I would probably place Laserwave with White Hound as the best of the BT KOs I've come across.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Got him off eBay, from kslee_my2006. Total was about US$45 including shipping from Malaysia.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Killer review man! :thumb 

What seller did you get this from and how much?

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sweet. I think that most of the issues you have could be easily addressed with minor work only, except the paint job of course.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    oh wow.. that's how all those knockoffs should've been priced!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've paid more and less. $30 or so is how they should have been priced (which is how much I've paid for some and thought it was reasonable)