KO BT Bumblebee... or is it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, May 11, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Ah, it's our friendly neighborhood Bumblebee, out for a drive...

[​IMG]

Wait a second... Focus! FOCUS!

[​IMG]

HEY! That's no Camaro! That looks more like a Subaru Impreza!

Yes, much like in nature, where some insects exhibit adaptive camouflage and mimicry in order to dissuade predators, it appears Bumblebee has given up on the ill-conceived inverse color scheme for his stealth presence, and gone for a completely different form altogether -- that of his Binaltech brothers Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Ricochet and Alert!

[​IMG]

In actuality, this is just another clever attempt by bootleggers to cash in on the dual craze of Binaltech knockoffs and Movie color schemes. Hey, if it's good enough for Takara, it's good enough for A&L and countless other Chinese toymakers. Thank you, incorrigible overseas factories, for giving us such awesome yet questionable goods.

[​IMG]
    "I think he wants us to get in."

[​IMG]
    Hey Mikaela -- THIS Bumblebee has a backseat. Whaddya say? ;) 

[​IMG]

Waaaaait! That's not Bumblebee at all! It looks like Smokescreen just decided to adopt Bumblebee's colors in order to coax humans into making out on his hood!

[​IMG]

But of course, the bot mode is little more than the Smokescreen mold with Silverstreak's red legs and a lot of yellow where the silver should be, but it WORKS. A little bit of black paint and a head swap, and this could be the easiest out-of-box Alt Bumblebee (or Hot Shot) custom yet. :p 

[​IMG]
    "FINALLY I get a GUN! A REAL GUN! ...now to go deal with Wheelie once and for all."

Like the other KO BT figures, ricosilverbumblesmoke is devoid of faction symbols -- all the better to add your own reprolabel versions. Which I haven't done yet. :-\

[​IMG]
    "I'm thinking about getting some Ink done. Maybe a snake eating a rat, with a caption that says "Born to watch my snake eat a rat."

Overall, the quality is REMARKABLE, with enameled metal and yellow plastic blending seamlessly, very few panel issues that can't be managed with a little finagling, and almost Binaltech-quality paint apps. If it weren't for a few little imperfections here and there, I'd almost believe this was a special edition of some sort. The only problem I had out of the box was that the hands were on the wrong arms, but that's easily remedied, compared to some of the glaring issues that can crop up on other KO BT figures, like the Mustang molds.

[​IMG]
    "What is this crap?"

I got mine from Genzhou last year -- sometimes they come packaged with a Robot Masters bootleg "Air Hunter", but it's a ridiculously oversized box, so getting it trimmed down or repackaged can be worth it -- if you're getting it shipped from China, you won't miss the extra postage cost.

[​IMG]
    "Now THIS is more like it!"

[​IMG]
    "Vroom vroom...."

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'm scared... and slightly aroused.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Oh, man, I think I'm gonna have to track one of those down. It's not perfect, but it might just scratch the Binaltech Bumblebee itch in case a real one is never released.

Any tips for locating one on eBay? The obvious searches (binaltech bumblebee, etc.) don't seem to bring anything up. I'll just keep checking periodically.

4. ShadowStitch

The one I bought, from a seller I do a lot of business with, was labeled:

YELLOW SMOKESCREEN ALTERNATOR BINALTECH KO TRANSFORMERS

Hope that helps.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty cool. I'll get one if I ever find one for an affordable price.

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Do want

7. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    Looks like he's playing with himself...
    :lolol :

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol  :lolol  :lolol  :lolol 

I am gonna have to track me one of these down though.

9. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    With a different head that would look quite good

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This figure is friggin' awesome. I have to really shake the hand of the bootlegger that made this up. It's an awesome combo.

11. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    The only way to get these KOs are through ebay?

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty cool looking, and good post :lol 

13. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Do want. I'm gettin one of those and repainting. In my opinion doesn't even need a headsway, just better paint.

Can you give us a link to the auction, or the ebay sellers page please?

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the red arms and legs reminded me of Hotshot.

15. ShadowStitch

That's the only place I've seen them, as most online retailers aren't going to deal with the hassle of importing whole boxes of KO toys (Except A3U) so it falls to the individual resellers who can pick them up directly from the factories and markets in China and HK.

Plus this particular figure is rather new, even to the Chinese KO scene. You may see more of them trickle onto Ebay in the future, but the problem is that this is one of the Die-Cast BT KOs, not the cheap, all-plastic ones like the common Prowl and Wheeljack figures littering ebay. So it costs more for the initial buyer, weighs a lot more, so the shipping costs more, and it ends up being kind of impractical and not really cost-effective for most sellers to bother.

When it costs 50$ to get you a single bootleg figure, the demand and profit margin are both very slim.

True true. And the head is cast in yellow plastic, so all you REALLY need to do, is strip the red paint from his forehead. Some black paint on the arms and legs, and he'd be a pretty convincing half-custom. ;) 

And here is the auction that I bought it from. You can get to the seller's store from there. He said he's trying to get more of them, but it may be a few weeks until he can restock on some of the KO BTs.

Without trying to sound like a walking advertisement, the guy that I bought this from is pretty cool, and swallowing the obscene import shipping becomes a bit easier when you stack a bunch of toys and the combined discounts kick in. He's not really stretching the shipping costs all that much, sadly. The first .5kg are where the Chinese post really stiffs you.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

That's what I was going to say. That actually looks really cool! I may have to snag one of those. The colors aren't horrible and it's one of the better Alt./BT molds.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oddly enough, as much as I've thoroughly enjoyed the bootleg BTs, I'm still a bit undecided on this one. Couple with this the fact that I'm still saving up for the last two BTs (Arcee and Convoy), and the purchase is even harder for me.

Just my cent and a half, but the sports stripes are the aspect that is turning me off from it. I either want Alts/BTs using molds for other characters or I'd like to see an actual line of movie toys made to 1:24 scale. I'm already planning on making the "movie" Jazz into a different character as well. The stripes are too indicative of the concept Camaro for me I suppose.

Pretty much. My last few Metals Transform toys I had been getting through KensCollection online, but I think he got out of it because of QC issues and the small profit margin:

I think this is said very well. Add to this that I've talked to one of these sellers (not this guy, but another), and he pretty much told me that he wanted to straight up double his money. He was adding in every single expenditure he had and a lot of other things to try to justify it. When I was talking to him, I was actually trying to help him come up with a good solution for both him and his buyers. Needless to say, with his mode of thinking, he wasn't selling 'em for very long. When a buyer starts going over $40-50 for one of these toys, and the seller's idea of "combined shipping" is putting items in the same box and charging the same amount of shipping per item (i.e. not a combined price), one doesn't end up with much.

I would like to take the time to comment on the original post. You did a good job with everything man! Thanks for sharing! :thumb 

Yep, but I'd say that Squall 42080 pretty much took that idea, ran with it, and perfected it a few years ago:

[​IMG]

That is what I would want from that KO BT, even if I had to make my own mods. :) 

18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah Hell Alternators Bumblebee a autobot logo and he's fit in with the rest,

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

That does help, thanks very much! None on eBay at the moment, but now I know to be on the lookout for them.

Thanks for the photos and for alerting us to faux-Bee's existence! :)