KO Battle Tanker vs Real Battle Tanker Review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by exclusacon, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man Well-Known Member

Even with that I don't see how that equates to "Damn you iGear!" CHMS has and has had access to its own manufacturers for quite some time unrelated to them, and other KO makers do as well. Not to mention that other than their more recent scout-sized toys, there isn't iGear makes that would be financially sound for them to recreate.

How would they recoup costs from redoing Faith Leader or the MP Seekers for example? Heck under this logic we might as well point the finger at Impossible Toys.

2. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I ordered one of these off eBay earlier. About an hour afterwards eBay contacted me to say that the listing had been removed, but the seller assures me it will still be posted. Fingers crossed!

3. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Managed to finally get one.

-I agree that the head sculpt sucks -- so I stuck with the original head on G2 Prime.
    -The heels are loose so I had to use the super glue technique to add tension to it.
    -The battery pack doesn't connect to the rear stand peg so I had to trim the peg by a hair to make it fit.
    -The extra blade fits better than the one that's on the packaging.
    -I had a missing weapon clip. No biggie since it's a non-essential piece.

I agree - it's a 90% copy at 50% the price.

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    just got mine. havn't even set him up yet, but first thing I noticed is the head I got is a LOT nicer than the pictures we've seen thus far. It's not any better sculpt but the paint apps seem to be improved.

5. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree - I got my KO Battle Tanker set from Acestoystore yesterday, and the head sculpt looks nearly identical to the original, and not that fuzzier version seen in earlier photos.

So far the KO is really good - the battery pack needed its cover re-installed, but everything seems to be included, good condition, and fits well.

I'll do a bit more of a review once I have installed everything, but initial impressions are that this is a really great set.

Tim
    "toy geek"

6. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After having had a couple of days to play around with my KO Battle Tanker, I'm definitely impressed. I don't have the official version, but in my mind this is a very high quality KO. In fact, I probably would not know it was a KO due to any sort of lacking quality, fit or finish.

Packaging is nearly identical (there was no gold sticker on my inner box window) and very clean. All items come in a double tray and are nested in nicely. The head was initially facing down in the tray, so I thought "Let's see how bad this face looks compared to the original" and to my surprise the head looked great.

The extra sword was included and taped to the underside of the tray. Nice piece.

Everything fits and feels very good - I don't see any real problems in terms of fit onto my RTS Optimus. The head went on just fine once I heated it, the pelvis piece switched out easily enough. The heels on mine were a little bit weak, but easily tightened with a dab of superglue.

Really the only indication in the toy that this is not the original is the black wire connecting the battery box to the sword handle.

I'm very impressed by the big combined mode too - everything fits nicely, there are plenty of extra connection points if you want to add more weapons on, the fold-down back stand makes balancing him a snap.

This is, for me, an easy recommendation. It's pretty much a 95% to 98% replica at half the price.

Tim
    "Toy geek"

7. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

i felt like i had to buy one of these on ebay last night due to the seemingly endless number of laser optimuses (optimi?) coming out lately. i thought that if was going to customize one, why not mess up a k.o. instead of a way pricier legit one. glad to hear that the quality is very good on these.

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Had my KO Battle Tanker a few days now. I only got it because I actually managed to find a decently priced RTS Laser Prime, and I want to eventually customise him into Toxitron, therefore whilst I wanted BT both for Tanker mode and to beef him up in robot mode, I wasn't comfortably paying full price when I'm goin to partially destroy it.

The quality of this set is very high. All ball joints and the majority of the other joints are nice and tight. Plastic quality is excellent, far better than any other KO I've owned. Paint what there is of it is brilliantly applied. The only issues I've had are;

Heels are very loose.
    One of the feet is difficult to store in tanker mode, it doesn't quite slide properly onto where it should and sits a tiny bit wonky once it's in.
    On one of the feet, the blue part that plugs into the bottom of Primes foot doesn't quite plg in properly.
    The arm guards sit wonky when slid over the guns to store (although I think that might be true on the original too)
    One of the arm guards 3mm C clips stressed quite badly first time I attached it.
    The battery pack sits very loosly on Primes back.
    The Drift type sword plugs far too loosely into the hilt, too loose in fact to use.
    The peg to hold the battery pack on the back of the tanker is slightly too big, very hard to plug onto.

Apart from those and a couple of misassembled parts (one of the giant cannons handles, and the stabilising foot were both on back to front) I have no complaints whatsoever. All are easily fixed, and most will sort themselves out once I start painting.

All in all, whilst I feel slightly guilty for buying a KO of a top quailty 3rd party company, the money I've saved makes it worth it. Although it's a good set and adds a lot to a fairly mediocre figure, I don't feel it was ever worth what they were originally asking for it. Which is a shame as I think they got the pricing of their Giant figures just right. But I can now look forward to adding Toxitron to my collection, which is much more interesting to me than any other Prime repaint, and he wouldn't be the same without his tanker full of chemical waste.

9. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just picked up my KO Battle Tanker.. I love this thing... wish I could have afforded the original but, I can't. Picked it up at Chimungmung for $30 out of box.. So, No box but after putting it together (it came dismantled inside of my UFO Dreambox to save on shipping) it looks great.

the only issues I have with it are:

1. The right foot, would not go into the tanker like it should, one of the outside pegs on the tanker was too big, after some shaving, it works great.
    2. The crotch piece isn't flush, I tried to shave it too, and it fits better but, i don't want to continue shaving it, I don't want to ruin it.. but, it's better than before.
    3. The piece that holds the sword to the backpack, doesn't like to stay on, haven't figured out how to fix that yet.
    4. the backpack is loose on Prime and doesn't want to stay in place.
    5. The blue parts on the legs don't quite plug in properly.. got the left foot now, but the right one still has issues but, it's not that noticeable.

As for taking off and putting on the head.. I got some water up to a lite boil, as in, there were bubbles but, not a lot of bubbles, put G2's head in for 30 seconds, and the head popped right off. Then put the new head in for 30 seconds and it popped right on.

10. PrimeKnightlord

PrimeKnightlord Leader Class

anyone know how to get that plastic out of the hilt without destorying the new sword handle itself. its one of my favorite ones.

Attached Files: