KO Alt Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CyberShadow, Nov 8, 2009.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Looking through a thread here about the Alternators, there was a comment about a KO Alt Rodimus, although it is supposed to be a very good quality item. Looking around the web and I see that there are a couple more mentions of this.

I have just bought an Alt Rodimus from eBay, and I wondered how I could tell if it is official or a KO when it arrives.

Thanks.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
  3. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks. I have sent a message to the seller to check that the one that I have bought is official, so if it is not I have a case for a refund.

Thanks again.

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I've got a slightly oversized Alt Rodimus and I'm really impressed with the quality of it. Has a little trouble staying together in car mode, but the bot mode is surprisingly solid.

5. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

So if this is really true and there are Hasbro quality KOs of Rodimus and apparently also Nemesis Prime out there, is that what the online stores are selling with the stock they got in within the last year?

And, again if true, is the reason this info has been a little more under wraps because the quality is so good that people haven't even known or felt screwed after buying one?

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    There isn't any question of this being true or not, as it was frontpage news here over a year ago when the pics were fist posted on a Chinese TF forum. Chinese eBay sellers began selling these KOs about the same time, and continue to do so today in clearly much higher volume than was allocated for SDCC.

Can't say I recall anyone coming forward with a KO Rodimus or Nemesis Prime to compare or make comment on the quality, but I'd like to hear some observations if anyone has these.

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lucky I bought mine at SDCC...

8. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

If the box missing the indented number stamp is THE definitive tell, then apparently I have one...my box is definitely missing that, but the other comparisons are tough to differentiate based off the pics. Mine's headlights don't look yellowed at all, but the tire writing seems more bolded. The other differences I just can't tell either way. And they don't mention it as a difference, but mine does have the © 2006 Hasbro, Inc and another for Takara along with a cereal number (81341)or something on the flip out tab of the leg, for whatever that's worth.

I guess I would be surprised to learn mine's a KO because the quality really is equal to that of my Mirage or any other Alt I own (shy of the two sure KOs I regrettably bought which are total crap,) but I did buy from a seller in China a few months ago so it would seem mine would be a prime candidate. If mine actually is a KO, while I'm not a big fan of them, I would have to give it rave reviews because the fig is great and would've/has absolutely fooled me.

9. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    I'd say the easiest way to tell from the site RoboticPlanet supplied is by looking at the back license plate and the autobot symbol on the hood.

10. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, my Chinese eBay seller assures me that the one that I have bought is officially Hasbro.... but then he would! :dunce 

I have the email from him, and the eBay site states that it is Hasbro, so I will be checking it carefully. I dont necessarily mind KOs, but not when I think that I am buying an official one.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

If they're really this good of KOs, he may legitimately not even know. I'm still slightly skeptical, honestly, because I just haven't seen this good of quality in a KO before...but then again I don't have a ton of experience with KOs. But assuming it is, I go back to the question about the large amount of stock the online stores like BBTS got in over the last year or so and have to wonder if they're KOs? If they’re really this good of quality you would have to assume they are, no? How do they happen to get in a huge order of legitimate, out of print figures at the same time the market is apparently flooded with extremely high end KOs?

Why does this feel like a big conspiracy theory? :lol 

12. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    If you really want to know, why not just buy one from BBTS right now to check.

Edit: Seems like they've sold out, but why are you so keen on finding out if BBTS was selling KOs or not?

13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

What good would that do if I can't even tell for certain whether the one I have is legit or not? Plus it's not worth an additional $50+ to find out either way... KO or not, I'm actually satisfied with my Rodimus. But I find the topic interesting, nonetheless.

14. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    The KO Rodimus does exist. I don't know if BBTS had(looks like their sold out) KO Rodimus in stock or what not. But I wouldn't be surprise. There was a huge news story about how some online retailers getting a batch of KO Encore Metroplex when he had just been released.

In terms of KO quality. It varies. Sure, there are some really bad ones that are easy to tell but then there are the high end KOs. Just look at the G1 reissues like Mirage, etc. They are superior to the Takara reissues.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In case anyone is interested I bought a cheap Alt Rodimus from BBTS a year back when the news about the KO was going around and it was legit based on the comparison thread.

TFSource accidently got a batch of the KO Metroplex because it had to fill out extra orders and went with a new supplier. I think BBTS manage to avoid getting KO but it probably had as much to do with luck. The good thing is that the big online retailers fixed the problem when they found out about it.
    http://www.tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/840/

16. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

This sucks

17. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, my Alt Rodi arrived yesterday.... and I am fairly sure it is a KO! :mad 

Like people have said, some of the signs are there - no serial number, I guess the packaging is softer, strange mixed fonts on box, brighter flames (which I actually prefer) - and some dont seem to be - raised headlights, rear license plate mixed font.

Is it my imaginiation, or is the plastic 'different'? It appears to be a 'squeaky plastic' (you will know what I mean if you have come across this before) which seems a bit more fragile. Also, the finishing isnt as good as I remember my Mirage to be - for example the allignment of the chest panels make it difficult to open up the sides when transforming to GT.

18. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I' selling a SDCC Hot Rodimus at the moment and I've just checked based on the link on the previous page. Definitely not a KO. :) 

19. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

20. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks. At least you have evidence of the seller claiming it's legit. I hope you get your money back.

I just gave my Rodimus a once over and if, the stamped serial number is the make-or-break item to check, I'm in the clear. Got a lovely stamped number on the bottom of the box, the fonts are all crisp and the same size, the Autobot logo is very clearly defined. Really, I shouldn't have worried, as I've never come across a KO from the place I picked up Rodimus, but still, better safe than sorry.