KO Alt Grimlock - review

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agesthreeandup, Aug 8, 2007.

1. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    OK, so I thought I should do a good review of these so that people can make a more informed decision if they want to acquire some of these figures.
    I will start with the box itself. This box is similar to the original BT boxes but is also very different. The top flap says Newest car Edition 1:24 Grimlcok Tactical Diversion Vehicle-Man Tactical Rescuer. There is a few symbols that look like they would be the ford symbol but they have Transform Car in the symbol, not Ford. It does say it is a Mustang GT Street Tuning. It looks as tho they have come up with their own Transformer symbol kind of a blend between and autobot and a decpticon symbol. The back of the box has some great things on it. Many images, obviously from the BT boxes with small differences added to the images with CG, such as their own symbols and some colour changes. The text is great for a laugh.

Front Body – The headlights equipped by tin-foil show the courage of the braver.

Side Body – The side body can adjust air slow, and the hamper, which stops the air flowing into the care base, emphasize the whole sense of low.

Steering – The wrists of the robot are set in the inner of front wheels.

Head – It is full of face expression. It can be moved freely because of improved pole and joint.

Hand – It is multi functional. Weapons can be added in hand.

Secret Weapons – The engine part can transform ino a laser gun, and the Mustang Sword is set in the bottom of the care base.

Mustang GT Street Tuning – The whole construction of the car is improved in 2004. The steering turning agility of the car is improved, according to the Mustang GT of car. Two colour bars in American racing style, and strong windshield glass, build atmosphere of racing.

Cybertron Grimlock – Being inventor of all kinds of weapons and tools, the technician WHEELJACK got the latest powerful capability through improving the steering turning agility of Mustang GT. Depending on his strong body and heavy weapons, he has a new capability, throwing out al tub to the enemy, and protect the partners tactically.

After you remove the figure and take a good look at it there are a few things you notice. I will review Grimlock here as that is the one I took out first. It is solid in hand. This one is all plastic as they decided to not do Grimlock or Wheeljack in die cast. While it does not feel quite like an Alt, it is still far better than a lot of the KO stuff that is out there. Plastic quality is OK but not the best. The car is painted, no grey plastic. Wheels are chrome which is nice. Wheels turn, doors open, hood and trunk do just like the original. Interior detail seems good with dash, seats and all other interior parts reflected the same as the original. One of the things that I thought was odd is that the front wheels seem to be very low, not filling the wheel well properly. I believe this is due to the arms being put on the wrong side. I have not removed them yet to try them on opposite sides but IMO I think this will fix this problem. Interior door details are also lacking, the doors seem to be very poorly designed but still painted with the red inserts. Grill paint is a little sloppy but all Mustang and GT logos are still present on the car.

I had a few issues transforming this one. I have this little thing about not checking instructions when transforming toys and if anyone recalls Grimlock, there are a few things that you do need to follow or it will just be very tough to transform. Because of this, I found a few things about the KO ones that were not so hot. First, I kept popping off the legs. This is not a big deal but it does mean the ball joint in the leg is not supper tight. It is fine for posing when in robot mode but it was very easy for me to pop off when transforming it. The windshield is very brittle plastic. The dash, arm structure has several pegs that were very hard to get apart. When I used pressure on the windshield it got several cracks in it. I did not break it but I do now have one good crack on one side of the windshield. Everything else went fine. The shoulder connector was a little loose to hold the shoulder to the hood of the car but it ended up fine in the end.

The robot mode is everything you expect out of an Alt. Poses fine, holds together no problem, displays well. I am very happy with the look of it in the Robot mode. The head is different from the BT/Alt version and lacks a little bit of the detail. I don’t have a BT on hand for comparison shots but there is a difference. You can still tell who it is.

Overall impression – It is a KO. There is no denying that. As for KOs, it is a very good one. If you missed Grimlock first time around then this is a great replacement without paying high premiums. If you are a kitbasher, then it is dream come true time. You can hack these apart for Shell Bashing or just do tons of different repaints without feeling bad about ruining a Hasbro figure that someone else could not get. Tons of potential and an OK price point. ($17.99 US or $19.99 CAD in store) Many other style to chose from and other figures to come in the future make these a great inexpensive alternative.

Here are some images of both the Grimlock and of the Wheeljack. Please ask if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just a small shot of up and coming..........
    [​IMG]

Spencer.

3. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

LMAO - thanks, Spence. :) 

4. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, if you carry these let us know so we can buy them! Especially the White Hound!

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh man, I LOVE that face; he looks like Wheeljack dropped him on his head when he was built.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Just Plain Creepy.

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    That's a damn fine review. Thanks man.

I've been curious about these. I want to Kitbash, but am on the same boat with a few others ... I don't want to wreck a hard-to-find toy.

If you have any input to these figures, ask if they can change it up a bit.

Take the RSX mold, paint it red.
    Take a SideSwipe head, throw it on.

People would love to buy something like that.

Instead of appealing to people who missed the Hasbro offering, you'll be appealing to all Alternators owners.

8. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    The Wheeljack and Grimlock have been added to the site.

As for new stuff, I am not sure what they are considering for colours and heads. I am unsure how they choose different molds and things. I have heard they are going to work on the RX-8 mold as well. Not sure if they will be doing the GT-40 but we will have to see.

Spencer.

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Thanks for the review...(though it needs to be moved)...

These look perfect for getting kitbashing parts...

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Thats about all he good for really.

11. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I don't know, I think the car modes look pretty good. Since I couldn't find the originals, I think these would be a decent substitute...

12. johnhood

johnhood Telosian

Ebay:
    Impressive, most impressive.

13. smkspy

I couldn't get mine to stay in car mode. He's floppier than the real deal.

14. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Odd, I have no problems with either of these ones with the car modes. I did the swap of the arms and it does indeed bring the front wheels down to a respectable height. Thing is, they are definately backwards in the robot mode then. Good thing they come off so easy as you can change them depending on which mode you want him in, car or robot.

Spencer.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I like the look of that white RSX mold. That could make a decent quick-n-easy Downshift, Runamuck, or (with a bit of painting) Breakdown.

16. smkspy

I didn't know about this...hell I didn't even transform him cause I was so disappointed with the car mode. Thanks for the tip Spencer.

17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh Sweet!....youre carrying these now?!....Thats great news.....

I got the Grimmy from an eBay seeler a while ago, and I must say he is pretty cool looking.....and as you said Spencer....if nothing else, they are affordable kitbash fodder....

I hope you do get more styles in.....I know a few people looking for the Acura mold...for kitbash purposes at that....man, this is right on time!

Thanks for getting these Spencer.....you :rock 

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Oh, I desperately need one of these to kitbash.

I'll pick it up after this weekend.

19. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Someone asked me for some images of the Wheeljack head so here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spencer

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Snazzy!.....:thumb