Knowing

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    You guys seen the trailer for this? Looks like Cage will join up with any movie that requires him to talk in a deep voice. :lol 

Looks awesome though.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    looks like a mix of national treasure meets next

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Looks horrible IMO. Just another cheesy for Cage to prove that he can't act anymore while wearing a bad toupee.

And I use to Nick Cage movies. Raising Arizona, Face-off, Snake Eyes, 8mm, and Leaving Las Vegas rocked.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nick has replaced Ben Stein as the Master, the Maestro of Monotone voice acting.

I swear to god, you can take audio from any movie and dub any random movie and his lines will sound similar.

any poor soul remember Firebirds?
    turd on a cracker and ruined my love for Tommy Lee Jones as an actor for about a decade...

not going to see this new flick.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just saw it last night. I honestly really liked it. The graphics weren't perfect, but they weren't bad, imo. It did have a bit of a religious overtone (mostly towards the ending), but it wasn't bothersome, to me at least. It wasn't all in your face, this is right that is wrong, like some movies have been in the past. The ending was slightly predictable, but not to the point of being annoying. Had a good amount of suspense in it. I don't think the trailers really did it justice. To me at least, the trailers seemed to make it out to be a cross between the National Treasure movies, and some generic end of the world/huge catastrophe movie. There are bound to be a good amount of people out there who dislike it purely for the parts that get a little religious. Nicholas Cage's character probably drank more in this movie than I have ever seen any of his other characters drink before, and all in just a couple of scenes. I'll be getting it on DVD when it comes out. Get's a 9/10 from me.

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'd say the ending is more than slightly religious. After studying up on it, you can see there's more to it than slightly. And yes, there will be folks who will be quite angry with it because of that

Because of the religious overtones in the ending, it gives you a bit of hope, something to look forward to. The rest of the movie however...creepy. Very suspenseful and keeps your attention from beginning to end.

The "men" (I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet) are just hauntingly creepy (until the end) and it just keeps you guessing as to what's coming next.

This one's gonna stick with me for a while. I have to admit. I too give it a 9 out of 10. And you're right, the trailer hasn't done the film any justice. (I think they want to reel you in before you see what it's really about.)

And laugh all you want folks, but Cage was excellent in this. He was unhinged, but without his normal voice raising antics like in Face/Off or well...pretty much anything he's ever been in. A couple of moments he shows the old him, but this one...he's restrained. It was weird seeing him like that, but it worked for the film.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

More than Leaving Las Vegas? I kinda doubt it, but love a drunk Cage. Might check this out now.

8. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

The last few films should've really told Nic to get a new agent who fields his for good scripts. Or stop acting altogether.

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    If u own a ps3, head to Home and then the theatre for a sneak preview. Looks cool.

10. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    I saw this on the weekend. A reasonably good idea that became a seriously bad movie. Then again, you could say the same about each of Cage's disasters on screen.

Oddly enough, I'd still recommend it to people. It's a bit like a sausage: you can enjoy it as long as you try not to think about what it's made of.

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    It was enjoyable. Make a matinee of it, not a full price showing, IMO. MUCH better than Next, but not Face-Off or Con-Air, to be sure. My only complaint was the blend of sci-fi and religous messages. Stick with one please, don't mix.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

The best film of 2009 so far!

LOVED IT!!!!

It was awesome and I can't wait to the DVD release. I am usually very harsh when criticizing films but I gotta say that this is the best movie of 2009 so far! Excellent! One of Cage's best performances.

13. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Your sarcasaming again aint cha?

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree with this, although for completely different reasons. Either go sci-fi or religious. The two don't mix well. This whole modern idea that religions are based on aliens is getting a bit old.

I did enjoy the movie quite a bit though. Definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year.

15. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

Arthur C. Clarke, Carl Sagan, and A Canticle for Leibowitz would all like to respectfully disagree with the notion of keeping sci-fi and religion separate from each other (um, I suppose the Left Behind series would as well, but they may not make the most compelling of arguments).

16. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I honestly am not familiar with most of these so I can't speak about how they mix the two. 2001 a space odyssey had no religious undertones. It did have evolutionary ones, but that is to be expected in sci-fi as it's foundational to the principle of life on multiple planets...

The reason I don't think they should mix is that they ALWAYS claim religion was founded on encounters with aliens by primitive people who did not fully understand, thus discrediting religion. I can't really go on much more on the subject, since it would probably violate the rules. It would be a fun discussion though. I'm gonna have to become a supporter so I can get into the forum with more lax rules....

17. CrowbotMaximus8

CrowbotMaximus8 Banned

Isn't that more likely than the alternative put forth in the mythology of most religions?

18. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Absolutely not. I can't speak for all religions, but the Christian religion is completely supported by scientific and archeological evidence. Not mythological at all. Unfortunately due to board rules, we're not allowed to discuss creationism. It's been deemed religious, even though it's actually scientific.

19. CrowbotMaximus8

CrowbotMaximus8 Banned

Christian Mythology is just that. Mythology, if you have a faith in it, fine. However do not put forth hoodoo and mystic mumbo jumbo as scientific fact. That is a spurious lie and not even remotely a supportable stance to take.

Good day, Sir.

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. However, right back at you with the warning. Do not put forth your hoodoo and claim it as fact. IF you don't want to look at the scientific evidence that supports biblical events, that is your closed mindedness. I've looked at both sides, you obviously have not seriously viewed the other. Check out Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics and take a look at the science. Your attitude is exactly why there is a rule #10. Calling it "mythology" is pretty much a polite way of calling it a lie and will be offensive to those that believe it.

On topic, I think it's alot more likely that UFO/alien sightings are really angels than the other way around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.