Knowing The Hard to Find figures Before they hit retail

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by vbann, Oct 25, 2010.

1. vbann

vbann Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have always wondered, what makes some TF toys so hard to find when a new line comes out. Is it character popularity? Wacky Store Distribution? Limited number of a specific figure produced, Short-packing in wave assortments? or a combination of all?

Like when the first tf movie came out I dont think anyone would of thought that the deluxe concept bumblebee would of been so elusive (pretty much all the movie figs were hard to find after the movie hit theaters, but NONE even close to bumblebee). I even remember when hasbro was preparing the rotf line for stores, they said that there would be another "hot deluxe" figure, which was the Ice Cream Twins.

And more recently, scouts skystalker, Breacher, the new animated exclusives and maybe a few generations. Among the piles of generations wave 1, I have rarely seen a drift outside of tru since the line first started

Sometimes it even feels as if certain class figures are limited to certain stores. In my area its like Target gets new hftd deluxes while tru gets generations, and walmart gets a new voyager every now and then.

Are they any signs or ways to predict which figures will be the hardest to come by? Because for those id rather just buy online instead of wasting hours of gas looking for them.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a general rule of thumb, the last wave or two of a line will be hard to find.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say combination, as one or more reasons are always true (except for Tuner Mudflap, since he's still present at my Walmart where there's easily over 30 of the little bastards pegwarming most of what is left of the ROTF section).

I mean, my Target is scarce on Drift, but other stores in my area are well-stocked with him. It's the fact wave four is out and all the stores in my area haven't even started stocking wave two of anything!

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Distribution and case ratios.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Reasons I know of/can guess at:

Low case ratios
    Store exclusivity
    Pre-sale hype (it gets sold out quickly before you see it so you think it wasn't released at all)/scalpers
    Poor general distribution due to being at the end of a line (see ROTF deluxe wave 9)
    Poor distribution due to certain stores overstocking on early waves and passing over on later waves

So yeah, a combination of stuff I'd say.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    when it comes to generations and all, anything not wave 1 is almost impossible to get ahold of

7. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If you're impatient and expect the next wave to appear as soon as you get bored with the last wave, then yeah.

8. guard convoy

News Credits:
    your hilarious, seeing as no store in my area has gotten past wave 1 of anything, i've given up trying to find them

had to order darkmount and red alert online, and i am still trying to get my hands on blurr and dirge, but they only come available in the middle of the week before i get my next check UGH

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As stated the last wave or two is usually a challenge to find the figure you want. The only time I pre-order from online retailers for domestic release is under these conditions.

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

People need to cease this notion that their local stores are dark and gloomy examples of stores across the world.

11. guard convoy

News Credits:
    you need to cease the notion that everything is easy to find, i am one of MANY that can't find anything past wave 1, face it, distribution for anything non-wave 1 SUCKS right now

there has been some able to find all the way up to wave 4 of generations, but the main chunk of us can't find anything

12. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Hey, just think, real soon it'll be Wave 5! Aren't they set for a November release?

I've got a feeling some retail stores might start skipping waves making these figs even harder to find for some.

13. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yep, i am royally screwed, wave 4 already hard enough to get, gonna pre-order that case off of tfsource....last chance to get ahold of wave 4 it is looking cause soon christmas will come and they'll get all the Reveal the shield stuff

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I never said anything about them being easy to find. I said they weren't impossible to find.

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    so are blurr and dirge beign considered the last wave of generations since we are about to roll over to the reveal the shield stuff?

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Oddly enough, my Walmart has been on the ball with Generations stuff. I've picked up WFC Prime and Bumblebee, Drift, Thrust, Darkmount, WFC Soundwave, Red Alert, Blurr and Dirge all there (and I've seen WFC Megatron many times). However, HFTD stuff? Nothing but Ironhides and Ravages. Occaisional Bumblebee. Scouts haven't moved past the Hubcap/Brimstone wave, and voyagers... all they have are Seasprays, an occasional Banzaitron, and Payloads.

I'm trying to be happy with my good fortune in finding my generations stuff, but there's always that bug in the back of my mind saying "MORE MORE MORE!" :) 

17. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Not impossible, but there are still a lot of Cybertron Optimus and Bumblebee on the pegs due to the "preview wave" that was just these two figures.

The yellow-boxed series is going to be Reveal the Shield. Generations still has a known wave yet to come with Cybertron Cliffumper, Skullgrin, and Thunderwing. And we still don't know which line Kup, Wheeljack, Perceptor, Reflector, Wreck-Gar, Scourge, and G2 Prime will be released in.

18. Megatron31

Ebay:
    ^ so your saying theres a chance hahaha

i have actually had really good luck with the generations stuff at my local walmart (picked up red alert wfc megatron and soundwave all in the same day) then darkmount 4 days later at the same walmart

but i am getting a little antsy about blurr and dirge seeing how my walmart cut the transformer section in half for tron toys rigth now it has 9 pegs for all of the size classes includeing activators and fab's

19. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i'm going to strangle the next person who asked that question:

WAVE 4 OR 5 IS NOT THE LAST WAVE OF GENERATIONS!

i'm not trying to be rude, but sheesh, everyone and their grandmother for some odd reason believes generations is ending and merging to become reveal the shield, generations isn't going anywhere, only HFTD is turing into RTS, and they are putting some generations-style toys in the line to pad the releases to get more toys out there for the fans.....there has been NOTHING to indicate it going away and it stuns me how people still believe it.

20. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i know its not ending you A$$!
    its stopping while they do the whole rts thing and then will run along side what is after that (or atleast that was what i remember reading) but i was thinking that blurr and dirge would be the last before RTS but forgot about skullgrin and cliffjumper and that run of figs