Know anyone who plays too much Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by skyrinkfusion, Jul 9, 2008.

1. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

I am really curious as to how many others notice their friends or relatives playing World of Warcraft day in and day out?

I certainly do, a number of them, I don't play though.

I didn't find any threads regarding this, and its certainly not game discussion so I'm not going in there, and I checked, it doesnt break any rules. :) 

discuss anyone?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No.

3. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I have a few guildmates that in my opinion need to take a break.

Me? I'm taking a break from raiding due to said people. Nothing fun like them blowing up over a heal or two (i wasnt assigned to heal them anyways... yeeesh!)

4. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

When I first bought it.....my friend who was gonna play online with me, couldn't! I quickly got sidetracked with my school and lost interest!

My little sister on the other hand, needs a life....a REAL LIFE! She would play 24/7 if I let her, shes even bought enough game cards to get her thru the end of the year!! One morning last week...I caught her playing at 2am, after she started playing at 6pm! Its a good thing that its my computer... I bought it... I just let her use it to keep the peace in the house...and she does understand that if I need it for school she does stop playing for that....but damn! Whats really bad....she has started reading the WOW books, when shes not playing!!

5. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    oh man i remember when one of my roomates was really into that and then he actually turned down sex for warcraft! he sold his character on eBay after that though! So he learned his lesson.

6. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    go to the lan cafe, internet shop in ur neighborhood

you will see some ppl live in those places

7. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Considering this thread is based on the result of playing a video game, it is more appropriate in this forum. Carry on ladies and gents.

8. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

I probably play far too much than humanly reasonable. I don't know how many hours a day though. Some days it 1-2hrs, other days it would be 12+hrs. But I also work shifts, so I have alot of time during the week to do nothing. And it's not like I neglect anything, I still spend time with my wife and kids on a daily basis, and do the normal husbandly stuff like yardwork, etc. etc. But with that said I have 4 level 70's, and 5 others characters at 26-62 level range. Some would say that is alot, but unless my wife starts bitching at me for not spending enough time with her, then I'm not too worried about it.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

The stories you hear about WoW are crazy. I've heard of urban legends of people being found dead at their computer screens because they forgot to eat!

It really is an addictive game tho. Very addictive. They should do more studies on video games and their addictive nature. I hear Dopamine might be involved in establishing the addiction. If thats true, they need to monitor this so people don't become addicted to it.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I used to play this game around 10-12 hours a day, sometimes more, when I was unemployed for a few months. Trying to get full Beastmaster set was gawd awfully hard (never got the chest piece btw). After taking my Druid to 70 and gotten the Drake mount I decided to have a brief hiatus of about 5 months. It's now almost a year since I played and while I do miss from time to time I know my time is better spent on my family. But when the expansion comes out I will give it a try and see if I still like the game.

11. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes! i have lost 2 friends and one boyfriends to that dame game its evil lol

12. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I know someone who plays a minimum of eight hours a day. Excessive in my opinion. Not to say I don't play video games, I do have all three next-gen systems.

13. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I know many that need to stop playing, they play it in between classes at college, they play it at home, one of my friends dad even plays it. Though I got a story about wow that kind of stuned me

One night me and my friends were hanging out and we were planing on going somewhere to get something to eat, my one friends bf was complaining cause apparnetly he had a raid he wanted to join that night, but he was forced to come out. Anyway as the night went on the raid drew closer till finally he just left his gf there telling her he has to go raid in wow. Now his gf and a friend of ours didn't have a license then, so I had to drive them to the resturant, not so bad till what could of happend

I live farthest away from my friends, and at one point it was looking like i'd of haven to driven one person home then drive the guys gf home too. Which would of killed my gas going home. Thankfully another friend of ours said he'd take the guy home. Otherwise I'd of probably walked into his house drug him out side and put his face on the window of his car asking for gas money for what I did. I didn't mind taking her home but the fact he ditched her with a possible no ride home to play a game really pissed me off.

I know I'm sounding like I'm winey and such explining this trying to expline this the best I can may be one of those had to be there things who knows.

For those wondering the girl is still with the guy and they both still play warcraft. I'm pretty sure part of there not coming back to college is due to the WOW addiction

14. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i used too. first time i was hooked it was nearly 6 hours a day minimum. then my guild broke up and i had a 2 month break. this time? well i was playing like 2 hours minimum per day but the dailies felt more like a job, guild fractured and i decided 2 months ago that i wasnt going back to it again. all my other friends seem to have weened themselves off it again too.

15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This. I used to hold down a full time job, get home at around 5pm then play through raiding til 11 - 11.30pm. Plus from around 10am - 11pm weekends.

Only reason I stopped was cos I got bored as hell. I still talk to all my old guildies on MSN actually, a lot of them have quit too, but some still play :) 

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Anyone currently subscribing and logging on is playing too much :3

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

:lolol 

i was going to say that :) 

18. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recently bought it and played my free month but I can see how it is addictive so I've taken a break already - probably pay for a month at a time so it's easier to quit if I want to.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I play it alot, but if my game time runs out and I can't get more for a while I don't start curling into the fetal position, break out in cold sweats or vomit my guts up. Its a game. I'll devote as much time to it as I see fit and anyone that tells me or my fellow players otherwise is going to get a nasty response.

The problem isn't truely the game. Some people have what I've heard are called 'addictive personalities' which allows them to easily fall into habits that do produce the same signs as addiction. These people are generally going to fall into that trap in many different ways and as far as harmful to the body, mind and wallet goes, WoW isn't exactly one I worry about compared to say, alcohol or heroin.

Though curiously (I've misplaced the article though) I read that they discovered WoW addiction vicariously through a sudden influx of young men aged 17 - 24 being admitted or admitting themselves for stimulant addiction to detox clinics in Europe. The detox workers found that the only reason otherwise non-drug using or possibly cannabis only users suddenly began to use stimulants was to stay awake to play WoW.

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I used to be massively addicted to WoW. I had to move my characters to a new server and away from my raiding guild to actually let myself quit.