Knockoffs Getting Better?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dark Galvatron, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Hi there, the name is Dark Galvatron and now I'd like to bring to the table something very interesting in my own view: Knockoff Transformer figures. I'm a TF collector and I've noticed that KO's are being produced left and right, especially since the Transformers 2007 live action movie. At a time in my life, I would never even touch a KO figure because of the fact that it would fall apart when removed from its packaging, but in the past year, I've bought a few KO's which actually turned out to be well worth their money, which is sadly why I wanted to make this topic. Is it possible that KO Transformers could outdo Hasbro? Personally, I don't think they could since Hasbro is such a major toy corporation and they've been the leading manufacturer in Transformers toys for a good long time now. But now I present to you this question: With some Transformers, would you go all the way for a name brand TF, or would you go KO? Here's some pics of my latest addition to my TF collection, Optimal Optimus: the Knockoff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to BWTF, there was a KO made at one time of the Beast Wars Optimal Optimus, but from the size comparisions, the figure was almost a deluxe class, and was stripped of quite a few features as well as robbed of many things such as detailing and paint apps. Well, this figure that I have posted pictures of was just purchased recently at a Big Lots about 2 days ago and I must say that I am impressed with the work that was done with him. For starters, they had 2 color variants I could have gone with: the original Optimal Optimus colors and then the red yellow and gold version, which sadly I pretty much had no choice to go with, since he was the only one, but I did see the Optimal Optimus colors at one time. Still, I'm glad I went with the choice of the red and gold variant, since it looks kinda spiffy in my own honest opinion and I am surprised at how well they kept with the Optimal Optimus/Primal Prime design, just removing the electronics and missile holders on the legs.

These are pics of the first bootleg toy:
    http://www.bwtf.com/boot/bw/optimal/bm.gif
    http://www.bwtf.com/boot/bw/optimal/cm.gif
    http://www.bwtf.com/boot/bw/optimal/am.gif
    http://www.bwtf.com/boot/bw/optimal/rm.gif

This figure was pretty much accurate to Optimal Optimus as well, minus many things. For starters, the forearm armor that could break away gimmick was stripped and in its place, the armor served as the lower arms. Secondly, the fingers could not move like the larger toy. Third, the wheel piece for his ground assault mode was missing, and he lacked thrusters on the underside of his feet for jet mode and finally, his cockpit piece was just one solid piece of plastic. Pretty much, this toy was a sad excuse in my opinion to be a bootlegged Optimal Optimus, and now for the pros on the KO I just bought.

1. Forearm armor can be removed and placed at the shoulders in robot mode.
    2. Fingers move fine.
    3. The wheel piece for ground mode is added and can split for a backpack in bot mode, just like the first Optimal Optimus.
    4. Underside of feet feature thrusters for jet mode as well as sporting an opening cockpit.
    5. This figure is also the same height as Optimal Optimus.
    6. The toy is only $10.

Cons:
    1. The head section of the toy is in camouflage
    2. Right lower beast arm/lower robot arm has a slight bit of weakness if you place a gun in it or keep the armor attached to it.

This is my personal review of the Optimal Optimus KO figure. And also, it looks like Bandai of America has some competition as well. I picked up back in late September 2 KO versions of deluxe Megazord robots from Big Lots, running at about $10 each.

The first is the Wolf Centaurus Megazord from Power Rangers Mystic Force aka MagiRanger which was never released in the US but released as WolfKaizer in Japan...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secondly, the Phoenix Unizord aka Stedergon Fury Megazord in Power Rangers Mystic Force, aka SaintKaizer in MagiRanger....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red Titan combined with Catastros..
    [​IMG]

And Koragg with BrightStar
    [​IMG]

Finally, the result of combining a name brand Red Titan with one of these bad boys...
    [​IMG]

These figures truly amazed me, since they are just as good quality as Bandai's figures and they are even the same height and no color/transformation, nothing has been changed at all on these figures, plus the figures are somewhat interchangable with the name brand Zords. Well, this pretty much covers all of my review on 3 amazing KO toys. Hope you enjoy!

2. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

*SNIP*

If the knockoffs stick to the figures you posted pics of, we're all doomed! We need more G1 "US" issues!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  3. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

dude did u really have to quite him?!....op op looks bad to me no thanks.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah I saw Op Op and TM2 Megs at Big Lots! yesterday.

Gonna have to go back and pick me up one o' them black Megatrons when I have the spare cash (i.e. money I'm willing to spend on a $10 KO), looked real nice in those colors.

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Is Kos being just as good as their real counterparts that surprising? Back in 1992 I had a Daizyujin (The original Megazord) that was every bit as good and durable as the real thing. So was my KO Black Ox FX figure. The only reason they don't exist now is because of how badly I treated those toys.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the black WolfKaiser KO, not knowing what it was a KO of. I was just intrigued by it. Thanks for the info.

-Tony!

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't mind the idea of good quality KOs as long as the price is good. Like the cassette two-packs. KOs are the only way to get a Ratbat with ears at a non-idiotic price.

But that OpOp is ugly as hell.

8. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Well, at least the quality on Op Op KO is better than the first KO of him. And trust me, you think the color scheme is bad now, but in time, you'll want one, lol. But seriously, I guess the new Op Op colors do it for some and others they just don't.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Same here. That Optimal Optimus Looks pretty solid....but god, the colors...the goggles do nothing.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't really like K.Os.

11. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

booo hooo

12. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Don't get dissuaded just cause someone made a thread that attacked you.

Well, as for me, I buy $5 KOS. But when you're asking for $60 of a KO that's not so rare like the Dinobots, or trying to pass of a KO for as a vintage or re-issue, those are some big fucking moves sellers are making, trying to sell a KO for that much. Hope they value more important things in life than the money they grub off of.

I do, make acceptions to sellers though that are honest and come through.

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Avoid the RiD Megatron/Galvatron KO. SO not worth it. Many joints are removed. His bot mode is cool, his dragon mode is... passable (with a D-), but the lack of knees kinda really sucks... the jet mode is... well... uhh... a loose mess, nothing clips into place (and it's not just loose clips... they just don't clip). But if that TM2 Megatron is good... I may look into one of those.

14. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've gotten a few KOs over time. The TM2 Megatron is pretty decent, The Heinlad and Lio Convoy aren't good at all, Superion is ok, Defensor is probably the best the G1 gestalt KOs, Bruticus is decent but with wretched coloring, and I just got a Sixwing KO today that was surprisingly good.

15. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I might be able to mod a KO RiD Gigatron/Devil Gigatron into something. Or use its parts for a KO gestalt.