Knockoff KO Deep Cover from KOTOYS.com

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by dragon516, Jun 15, 2011.

1. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My experience with knockoffs have been very limited where I had bought one KO wonderfest prime from somebody here on the boards and gotten KO Henkei Thundercracker and Yellow Sunstorm from lots that I have bought off of ebay. The quality on those had always left very little to be desire for me since I had always felt the plastic was of lower quality and the paint job a little shoddy for the price tag that they warrant. I was disinterested in KO's from those three pieces that I have.

I was recently enticed though by news of a KO Deep Cover made from the Universe Sideswipe mold as I am a sucker for the Lambo Twins. I have all of the Lambo mold official figures to date and was interested by the idea of a KO Deep Cover of the mold so I preorder two of these from KOTOYs.com. I ordered a red window and a clear window version from them.

Customer Service:
    The customer service was very good. Shipping was fast and the packaging was a little ad hoc but nicely put together. There were issues with the gun not fitting in car mode and required shaving of the gun to make it fit, but they were upfront about it and notified me of it before shipping. They even offered a 6 dollar (for two figures, I bought both the red and clear versions) refund due to the gun deficiency. I decided that a shaved gun was something I was willing to live with and decided to get them anyways. I think like a lot of people on these boards say, that the customer service you will get is going to be different from time to time and I guess I lucked out on my experience this time.

The Toy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse my pictures as I am not a very good photographer so I decided to do the best I can and show whatever I have to you all. I can try better pictures on another day.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this purchase and it mainly comes from the quality of the figures themselves. The figures looks great in car mode and fits together very nicely. There were some minor scratches on the plastic that looks to be coming from mishandling during assembly but I have come to accept that level of quality from KO's. The mixed feelings I have mainly come from the robot mode as some of the flaws does show up in robot mode. The flaws may be minor to a few but is somewhat of a deal breaker for me.

Plastic Quality:
    The figures are CHMS products and are of better than ordinary quality KO's. The plastic is nice but still feels a little cheaper and more brittle than the Hasbro stuff. It feels a little cheaper than even the seeker CHMS stuff which was a little disappointing seeing how somebody mentioned on a YouTube review that they were better than the seeker mold in terms of quality. I do see some weird bubbling on the surface of some areas of the black plastic. The black plastic does bring out the worse in the bubbling to me. There are also scratches on the plastic that is mainly from mishandling during assembly is what I am guessing, but I have to come to accept that as part of the quality that I will be getting from a KO.

Painting:
    The paint scheme is very well thought and makes for a very nice looking figure. The metallic blue on the chest, face and waist area are very nice and seems to be fairly scratched/rub resistant. I was a little disappointed though that the arms and thighs (all the white pieces you see for the figure) are painted with a white paint that suffers from heavy paint rub issues in the transformation. The figure as a whole is casted in all black except for the hood, headlights and sideview mirrors which are casted in clear. I would have preferred if there was a different color plastic that is casted for these areas as they are very heavily rubbed during the transformation and the paint has already worn off quite a bit after two transformations that I have went through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would have been best if the figures had casted colored parts to minimize the need for paint on these heavy use parts.

I have also noticed that the handling of tampo areas on KO's tend to be a little carefree as on the wonderfest prime and on these Deep Covers, the Tampo has had damage. Here I am showing the damage on the tampo'ed badge on the doors for Deep Cover. This came like this to me and was not done after I have receive them.

[​IMG]

The Fit

This was probably the most disappointing part of the toy for me. The arm joints are very loose and can come off if I had just left the arm dangling in air for a short while. It is almost ridiculous how easy it falls right off while just holidng the figure in robot mode. I guess a thick coat of nail polish would help but it is really more loose than the usual loose joint that I have encounter in the past.

[​IMG]

The hood is also super loose also and makes for very loose figure as you are transforming it from car to robot. The hood doesn't line up quite right either, but this is a very minor thing and wouldn't be notice on a normal basis.

[​IMG]

The pins that are on the chest on the Deep Cover does not push all the way in. Don't know if the pins are too large in diameter or is it too long. See picture above and look at the silver pins above the Autobot Tampo. Both of my Deep Cover are this way.

This toys looks best in car mode as the toy fits together very nicely in that mode.

I forgot to mention earlier that the foot has some issues too. It was fairly difficult to pop the foot out from the car mode into robot mode. I have 25 pieces of this official mold and not one did I have this issue. I am looking to replace the foot pieces on this toy too.

Overall
    Overall I have mixed feelings on this toy based on the issues that I have pointed out. I think for 20 bucks a pop, the KO was very good in trying to imitate the real thing and is probably good as a display piece, but ended up frustrating to me because of how loose it was. I am trying to replace some parts in the figure with parts from a real Universe Sideswipe to give it white arms without the floppy arms issue and to get rid of the paint rub problem altogether. I tried changing out the piece that holds the hood to the robot also but found out that this was a different mold than the Universe Sideswipe and the parts were not totally interchangeable without some modifcation. I think if you can get over the issues that I had with the paint and floppy arms, the figure definitely looks great on the shelf as purely a display piece.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    can these be fixed via nailpolish?

3. dragon516

News Credits:
    I think for the loose joint pieces on the arms (all the white piece feel a little loose) a thick clear coat could definitely help. Like I said before though, they seem unusually loose. I tried plugging an arm from a sunstreaker on (connected after the black shoulders) and it was a much better fit. It seems like all the pieces on the arms were a little undersized. I am going to find a junker sideswipe to do some part replacements instead of going for the clear coat. I was never a big fan of having too much paint application on a figure. I was really hoping that minimally the white parts that were painted to be casted in the right color instead. Is this generally the case for CHMS products? I don't own too many of the jets and never paid too much attention to them so I don't know. I looked at the yellow sunstorm and it does seem like it was indiscriminately molded in yellow with all details added on through paint apps. I was actually very much looking forward to this until I saw the loose floppy arms and paint apps on things that have a lot of heavy transformation usage.

4. rodimus147

rodimus147 Active Member

Does the figure come in any type of packaging? and if so would it be possible to see pics of the packaging?

5. wingsaber86

wingsaber86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi, there is a misassembling problem on the arms: the biceps and the lower arms don't have the opening side for plugging facing in the same direction like sideswipe and sunstreaker <:( 

6. dragon516

News Credits:
    No packaging for these yet as they are the first of its kind to show up. From what I have read there aren't any plans yet for packaging. There was an accident on the mold that has put further production of the mold back a couple of months and in a bit of a limbo.

7. dragon516

News Credits:
    Part of the reason I am writing this review is because I was interested in the KO's of non mass produced character but was always a bit on the fence about the details of the figure. Most reviews that I see on new KO figures are very good looking pictures of the toys but never discuss the downsides of it. The downside for me here was the loose arms and painted parts. I bought them thinking that if anything I can mish mash parts from official products to create something that I can happy with. I think that is the route I am going to take to get this to be more on my standard. Anybody with Junker Sideswipe, Sunstreaker and Red Alerts let me know. Mainly just the arm and thigh pieces and maybe the foot too.

8. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I was curious about those guys and a few of the other similar KO products. This will definitely help me decide, or know what to expect.

The price seems alright for the toys on their own. How much was shipping to the U.S for just these 2?

9. dragon516

News Credits:
    I think it was 60 bucks total shipped. I figure instead of showing only pretty pictures of the toys, I would name the flaws that some people will want to know about. This way you won't be buying this base on some photos that are meant to make you want to just buy it. The figures are decent and I bet if I can take the shell and the head on these and put in the guts from a real Sideswipe that I would be much happier. Looking for that junker sideswipe now.

10. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wouldn't a Red Alert work? I assume a brand new one would cost less than a junker Sideswipe.

Thanks for the info and thanks again for the review. I've been especially curious about these Deep Cover guys. The unique deco makes them more appealing to me as a custom piece rather than a straight up knock-off.

I'm glad to see that the customer service was good and the shipping fast. I had read some reports from a while ago that made me apprehensive. I assume the $20 shipping will be a bit more to reach the east coast here.

I'm still not too sure since I was planning on ordering a few items to make the shipping seem worthwhile, assuming their shipping works that way. It looks like they've got a CHMS Ramjet coming soon, which would be ideal as a temporary solution to complete my seekers.

11. dragon516

News Credits:
    A red alert would be fine as long as you don't want white arms and thighs. I swapped the arms and doors today and the floppy arms are gone. Much nicer feel. Figured out I wasn't going to be able to swap out the thighs though as the mold have some issues that would require some slight modification to make it work. I cleaned up the thighs instead and it looks good. The last thing I want to try and fix now is the floppy hood. The fit of the hood piece to the connecting piece is not very tight. I am a bit happier with the Deep Cover at this point now. I too was more interested in the Deep Cover because of the custom potential and not just straight KO. I know if I had to pay close to 30 bucks for a KO Sideswipe from this mold, I would rather buy the real thing for a little more.