Knock-offs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wazdakka, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

Knock-offs, KOs, the Chinese blood-money toys...you've heard many names. What I'm wondering is, is it worth it to buy a knock-off? For example, I'm looking for a Bruticus. But he's waaay expensive - however, knockoffs cost half the price of the cheapest complete one. I know that the quality of KOs really depends on the manufacturer, but in general, are knock-offs still decent quality toys?

Thank you!

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

bruticus G1 reissue isnt a knock off and its not that great quality, but i am happy with it. its not expensive either.

the one knock off i have is G1 devastator. it is pretty excellent as well. maybe better than the brutics reissue.

3. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

4. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

6. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This depends on what you plan to do with the toy.

A bootleg which you're only going to use for display would be just fine.

If you're going to play with it, take note that's it's not an original.

There's a couple of feedback threads in TFW about the quality of his services. He has delivered well for some customers, but be aware that he's also banned from TFW for a reason.

That being said, that site is a good resource for knockoffs and bootlegs.

7. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I wouldn't bother getting a KO, but then again, I love authenticity.

8. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

How do you really tell the difference on the outside from a good KO to a bad KO? E.g. how'd CVProwl figure out the good Menasor and the horrible Menasor?

By the way, thanks a lot for replying.

9. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I just ordered a few things from KOToys....I hope they turn out to be okay.

11. Hobbyist Prime

Hobbyist Prime Member

Ebay:
    I can only speak for myself but I only get the high end KO's that were never available as originals like my clear plastic G1 Optimus Prime and I love it to death! the only real stand out difference quality wise is the plastic for the trailer is just the tiniest bit rubbery and can make it difficult to open the halves but other than that it is all win!

BTW, I ordered from KOToys and had no problems but from what I have heard he can be quite difficult to deal with and if you piss him off instead of letting small things roll off you can end up going through quite an ordeal!

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    CHMS seekers are VERY fun.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've recently received my fourth order from KOTOYS and all have been excellent. However if your looking at classic seekers, get their CHMS V2 instead. Their V1 line up that has takara on the top are way too lose.
    Anyway, KOTOYS is a great place to shop. Knock-offs can be both good and bad. The good ones are great fillers for when the price of an original is too much.

14. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing the price can tell you alot. Dont get the big lots ko items. Those are junk. Get the high quality ko which is the ones that costs just as much as the real loose items. Those are very good quality ko items. Anything 10.00 to 20.00 for a full tf ko, is normally junk.

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Big!Lots has a cheap $6 KO Devastator giftset. Apparently it's not exactly all that durable. But if your Constructicons are missing their guns it's worth it just for the weapons, considering what the legit ones go for on eBay.

16. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's a matter of personal opinion, me, I think they are ruining the market.

I also think that they are attempts to basicly con people into paying alot of money for what they think is an original. I mean you wouldn't be happy ifyou paid a hundred million for the Mona Lisa only to find out it's a poster of the mona lisa, not the best of similarities, but you get what I mean.

To some people that won't matter though, it might just be a poster, but it depicts mona lisa...

It's also a moral desision, do you want to buy a knock off and support forgerers or do you want to support the people who develop the original toys?

Then it's the quality issues. some knock offs are the toy equvilant of this picture:

[​IMG]

whilst some are almost just as good as the original.

If you feel ok with putting a knock off amongst your genuine transformers then by all means go for it. It is a cheaper alternative after all.

There is no right or wrong in this issue though, just a matter of personal opinion, some like a poster, others would do anything to have the original mona lisa.

17. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

Huh? Isn't that the Simpsons when it was on the Tracy Ullman show?

Wouldn't that be like comparing a G1 figure to the 'CHUG' version of the same character?

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

price can you a good clue to the quality and on that KO site it actually describes the quality of many of the KOs.

The bruticus you were looking at is made of inferior light plastic, breaks easily, has loose joints, is missing many points of articulation on the figures.

i am comparing it to a similar devestator i got for my son at big lots for 8 bucks. it falls apart if you look at it funny. the devastator i got from the KO website (about $70) is very hard to distinguish from an original.

there are threads on this site on how to tell the difference in many of the KOs that are nearly identical.

19. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i dont think the big lots knock off devestator comes with the little guns. it has most of the parts to make devestator but they are pretty horrible looking. especially the forearms and head.

20. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

Thank you for all of these wonderful opinions (and facts)! Either way, the only Bruticus's on KOToys are for like $14 bucks, so I don't have many options. They look OK, but I don't want to spend a ton of money for a real bruticus.