Knock Off Cliffjumper Upgrade Kit warning

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Venksta, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys. Apparently there is a knockoff Cliffjumper Upgrade kit on ebay. Anyone interested in FansProject's items should be aware of this, as this knock off is like most, bad quality all around. The mold for the gun looks flimsy and the paint job is sloppy on the bumper. The seller is asking $90 for it as well. The real Cliffjumper kits were limited to 300 pieces with a numbered certificate indicating which number you got. This probably won't stop some from buying it, but you'll be dishing out a lot of money for something worth less than $5 at the most due to its quality.

Transformers Classics Cliffjumper custom upgrade set - eBay (item 370087524092 end time Sep-19-08 21:22:33 PDT)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So... they're even doing KOs of aftermarket customs now? :sly: 

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Well, for the price it's going for, it's a complete rippoff. I'd buy it for $10-$15, though. I't ain't that bad. It all depends on how it fits Cliffy,

4. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well call e daft but i bought it, i dont buy my stuff on value more on how much i want it. cliffy is one of my favs and the upgfrade set is twice the price and unlikley to be owned by me so te ko will do. i wont feel as bad painting it red to match my cliffy if its just a knock off. plus i have way too much disposable income lol

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW, I should look into the process of making custom Transformers parts. Could make some money off this stuff.

6. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

And people said KOs never harmed anyone. Let's ruin our ability to get more aftermarket customs by buying bubble-filled, Warped Cliffjumper KO kits. Kill the golden goose.

7. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    people are already judging this to be a bad KO but all i have seen is one not very good pic. besides if the real upgrade set was was so stupidly expensive id happily buy it. if it comes down to the choice not owning it or owning a knock off that is amost identical i know which option id pick every time

8. Venksta

News Credits:
    This KO maker for the CJ Kit knows the demand is high, and thus, is charging $90 for it, when the item was originally sold for $30. Hes not doing any favor for fans, just taking their money for a crappy bootleg. If they charged $20 or something, then whatever. But their definitely in it for the money.

Honestly, I'll laugh if City Commander ever gets bootlegged, the legs will break the instant you try to attach them to Magnus' feet. That is probably one of the best parts of the City Commander's design, that is the fitting is tight, but the plastic is super durable that you won't break it. However, knowing what knockoff plastic is usually like, people will break it easily if it gets bootlegged.

9. nkelsch

1. Blaming the cost does not justify KOs. You do not have the right to buy bootleg because you feel the original cost was 'stupidly expensive'

2. You do not have the right to own anything you want. If people support these KOs especially if the quality was the same and the cost is less you ruin the ability for the company to make *MORE* customs for us. So enjoy CJ and UM because if they get serious into KO those kits we may never see any new ones ever again which is ashame.

This is way more tangible than the ethereal discussion of hurting a non-existent sunstreaker or Mirage reissue... This is a company making real kits here and now and someone KOing those kits is directly able to harm that company in a very real way.

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    is there even any proof this is a custom, and not just someone selling off an opened set?

11. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:

i think you misunderstood, i was not trying to justify buying it at all. its my money my choice i dont have to justify it to anyone.

12. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    i have actually messaged to find out. it looks no different from the pics ive seen on the sent online. just without the packaging

13. Venksta

News Credits:
    FansProject themselves showed me this, that is why I created the thread.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow. KO's of a fan-created custom kit. Our fandom truly has come full-circle.

15. nkelsch

Are they going to take action? I am sure many of us in the TF community who want to support FansProject would keep an eye out for them to report KOs and help them remove them from ebay. Hasbro can protect themselves but it is really bad when it is hurting a small company trying to do something for the fandom.

16. Lumpy

News Credits:
    ah, okay...well, it sucks but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

still too high of a price for a KO, but i also think 300 for the real set is too high...and the way fansproject raised the initial price from 30 to 90 within a matter of days was pretty lame too...

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really coveted the original Cliffjumper set.
    It's a shame that the original was both expensive and difficult to obtain.
    I certainly wouldn't spend $90 for a bootleg though.

Fans Project has done much better on supply\demand with their newer kits.
    Maybe one day they'll rerelease Cliffjumper.

18. Venksta

News Credits:
    Actually, you are wrong about them raising the price. FansProject always intended the CJ kits to be sold at $30. But they themselves did not sell the kits. They gave them all to the different clubs in china and hong kong to sell. They had suggested to the clubs to sell the kits at $30 each. However, they didn't have control over some people being charged $90 or more. Since some sellers noticed the demand, they decided to make money off of it, then do fans a favor.

I suggested them to report the KO on ebay. Will have to see what happens now. They definitely won't be quiet about this issue.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  19. ricky503

ricky503 Well-Known Member

You snooze you lose. C'mon there were only 300 made and it was originally intended to sell in Asian Markets. When it became apparent that it was a hot commodity they went ahead applied the supply and demand theory and drove the price up. $90 is still a better price for a limited piece than the $200+ that people are selling them for here and on ebay when they were available.

20. Lumpy

News Credits:

well, i didnt realize they farmed them out...seems like it woulda been a better deal to sell them straight from the source...all i know is i emailed them, and when i asked for a shipping price, they upped the price on me...that's why i didnt get it...and i'm not complaining about not getting it, i think it looks OK, but wasnt super amazing...i'm gonna do the custom trailer head instead i think...but if they did rerelease it, i might be interested...