KMart Price Increase

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smashs, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So I stop by KMart today after work to see what they've got. They have been bone dry for months. I figured one of these days I'll get lucky. Well that was today. 2 vehicons, Kup, Rumble. What I wasn't expecting was the price tag. $18.99. For a deluxe. I know this happened at some Targets, but even target here hasn't jumped that high. Walmart across town is still pushing Prime deluxes for $12.99.

Anyone else see this at KMart yet? I couldn't bring myself to buy them.

Attached Files:

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Deluxes are 16.99 or 17.99 here in Canada (the latter of which applies to FOC in Superstore), but that extra 2 dollars would probably slight me as well. However, we haven't seen anything past wave 1 in regards to the prime deluxes, so I'm willing to bet that people who haven't already bought shit online would jump at it, especially with Vehicons being among em.

... however for product that's already abundant & readily available for less, not so much haha.

3. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro clearly has jacked up the prices on their deluxes starting with the DVD wave. Charging us 3-4 bucks more for a DVD no one wants is really egregious. I think the places where the deluxes are still 15 or less are merely still working through their orders from before the DVD case revisions, so they paid less and can still offer the "regular" price point. Once the market is clear of those, I think $18-19 is going to become the "regular" price across the board.

4. Xzbit

Xzbit Well-Known Member

Yup saw this at my local kmart a few days ago deluxes $19 and weaponizer prime $32.99.It's really getting to be a joke with this mark ups.

5. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought a Vehicon at K-Mart for $18.99, so after tax it was over $20. I had never seen one before, so I was in shock. If it was ANY other figure, I wouldn't have bought it. The Vehicon is a good figure, but a $20 retail price for ANY regularly released deluxe is too much in my opinion.

6. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Yep, this was the case at my local K-Mart too. Ironically, voyagers are still just $21.99.

7. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Don't tell them that. Price would change instantly.

8. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Oh, I have a feeling they will probably sky rocket once they get another case of them. Price didnt go up on deluxes until the restock.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Smaller toys, a DVD nobody wants, more Bumblebees (and I'm a Bumblebee fan they have ruined him since the first movie sadly) and higher prices.

Sounds like a formula for Success

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    The DVDs shouldn't have any impact on the price. Hasbro did free "mini-DVD" with the first wave of Cyberverse Commanders at the same price as non-DVD, and in years past, Hasbro has quite often packed in DVDs or CDs as promotional items.

That's the same case here, the DVD's cost are basically being written off as part of the line's marketing cost. Hasbro also traditionally doesn't alter their priceing mid-line either.

It is worth noting that these "price spikes" occur practically every year...right before most retailers start running Christmas sales where they'll probably sell deluxes for $12, and it'll look like a deal compared to the "usual" $17.

Further, this is KMART. Kmart is NOTORIOUS for high prices, especially since the corporate merger with Sears. If you don't like their prices, shop elsewhere.

11. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yikes. that's crazy.

12. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Ouch...just makes me more likely to go online or 3rd party

13. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've done much work as a video editor, so I'm well are at the negligible cost of DVDs. I also know that it is common practice to charge 2-5 for a single DVD. I'm not attributing this price hike solely to the DVDs, but I bet you it is part of their justification to retailers.

Also, I am fairly certain that BBTS announced that Hasbro raised the price on their deluxes and voyagers to retailers, which is why prices are going up everywhere. Target, Walmart, not Kmart. Toys R Us will go up as well as soon as they start getting the new waves. Watch.

Whether there are legitimate reasons for Hasbro raising the price is anyone's guess. Cost of production could have gone up due to the price of resources, a broad employee raise, or many other factors. Or it could just be greed.

14. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I can see myself just buying stuff from people on here pretty soon, hunts are becoming useless and prices continue to go up

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I haven't been to Kmart for 6 months and they've given me another reason not to visit anytime soon.

16. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    If the both of us went to K-Mart, they would have a total of 2 customers in the store.

17. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    At least Weaponizer Bumblebee is still $29.99

I plan on using my $10 Bday coupon to get that for $19.99. 1 Dollar more then a Deluxe!