Minor/Repaint: Kitty Truck -Updated 3-24! Head painted too!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Well, I figured that the paint was definitely dry enough to handle by now, so I thought I'd see what it looked like put together... Now, I just did a mock-fitting, nothing is held together by anything more than friction (and the fact that it's lying on the floor on a napkin).

I've noticed a few pieces that need to be touched up still, and will be taken care of in the near future (tomorrow probably). I'm going to have to touch up part of the cab (not the shoulder, but where the shoulder pivots out of) because it has a little of the black overspray on it still. Also, you can see that the paint on one of his feet should be redone, although it will ultimately be covered by a sticker like the regular G1 Prime. Of course the grill still needs to be repainted completely, since the black bled through the tape and ran all over the orange beneath. Finally; does anyone have any tips on painting onto die-cast metal? I guess that I should have left the original red paint applications on it, but live & learn, right? The paint is chipping off of it, especially where it hinges out to reveal the seats behind it... Now, I'll probably do a temporary fix for the time being (remember, Dairycon is this weekend), but would go back to do a more permanent fix later on!

Anyways, here are a couple pictures of him together!
    [att]3303[/att]
    [att]3302[/att]

And of course, this is what it should look like when it's completed...
    [att]3304[/att]

Attached Files:

2. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I take it you're using more Fusion on the metal? From what I hear, some sort of enamel paint is what you want to use, as it'll be able to stick to the metal better.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    removing the paint off the metal was a SMART decision, not a bad one. That would've just made the parts that much thicker, and would've required grinding and sanding to eliminate/reduce wear from transformation. Painting metal isn't the same as painting plastics. Krylon Fusion is made SPECIFICALLY for plastics. Enamels are a good choice, but you COULD use other more common house-hold paints as well.

4. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    It's great to see your custom progressing. That's a tangy shade of orange, me likey! :thumb 

5. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Alright, so I'll take a closer look at Ace Hardware & Walmart for a regular can of Safety Orange Krylon. I think that'd be my best color match anyways, who knows if the other brands' "safety orange" are actually the same color?!?!

6. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Hello again everyone! I got together with a friend of mine today and touched up all the pieces that needed it, as well as doing a few things I wasn't anticipating...

First off, the front of the belly piece that the grill fits into has been sanded down to bare plastic and repainted orange.
    [att]3355[/att]
    It looks wonderful, if I do say so myself!

We then touched up most of the black and orange pieces, sanding them smooth & in some cases back down to the bare plastic...
    [att]3361[/att]
    Any sign of the black overspray on them is gone, and all the black pieces are now nicely coated (with no signs of blue showing through, like I noticed on the 'vents' on his legs).

We touched up the grill, using a silver marker pen, but the colors didn't quite match up as well as we'd liked... So, we spray painted all the chrome with a some non-descript "metallic" can of paint we found in my father-in-law's garage. The only original chrome left on the figure are the wheel rims & the legs themselves.
    [att]3356[/att]
    [att]3357[/att]

It was at this point that I decided to do something I'd originally thought about when I stripped off Prime's paint. When I originally did that, I had the bare metal on Prime's feet showing, and thought it looked pretty spiffy... So, while we were painting the rest of the chrome pieces, we painted his feet silver as well! -This also helped with the paint chipping off when I applied the Krylon Fusion on the metal, since the paint we used was good for metal as well!
    [att]3358[/att]
    -Sorry, I think it looks pretty spiffy again & can't wait to see what it looks like assembled! I think it might tie in the 'chome' to the whole piece!

Finally, we managed to get some paint on the head! We painted up his mouth plate & head crest with the same 'metallic' silver we used on the chrome parts, added the orange to his brow ridge, and painted his eyes with a metallic green Testors paint...
    [att]3359[/att]
    [att]3360[/att]
    For some reason, it looks like we got some orange specks on the head with the flash, but there's no orange on it at all as far as we can tell... it's odd... But it looks pretty spiffy in person... The orange paint application could be a little cleaner, but good enough for us!

Once again, I can't wait to get this sucker together and see what he looks like! -only thing that I can think of that might look 'off' would be the original chrome on his thighs, but I can't do anything about that without either 1)taping the hell out of the rest of it, or 2) somehow removing the axle that holds the whole bit together... So, I'll make do with what I have and go from there! I still think he'll look killer!

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Its all looking good man. My only suggestion would be to put another coat of paint on the headcrest (the orange part) and his face (the silver)

8. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I probably will touch them up a little, we only had time to do the two coats on the brows. The paint wasn't really going on very well, and the two coats were enough to make it visible. -Of course, the head's probably 1/3 of the size we're seeing at in those pictures, so it shows the sloppy work a little more... It's just so small that we didn't want to get any MORE paint on the antennae or anything...

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Oh, I understand completely. :)  Remember, I repainted LOCs for a couple years when I got started! hehehe I'm just saying because I see streaks of the plastic color through the silver, and the orange as well, that's all.

10. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Oh no, I see what you're getting at, and appreciate the pointers! I'll try to get back and touch up the parts you mentioned, I'm just not sure when I'll really be able to (busy the next few days), but probably Thursday... That'll leave me a day before we pack up and leave for Dairycon...

But, outside of piecing him back together, I'm just waiting on the Reprolabel set to (hopefully) arrive in time...

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well those two particular paint aps can be fixed up even after you've reassembled him, so no biggie :)