Minor/Repaint: Kitty Truck- placed 3rd in the Dairycon Art Contest!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I feel a little odd starting a new thread for a figure that's still a WIP, but so be it! I took a few more pictures of the parts today after the touch-ups I did yesterday (or two days ago since it's 1:20am on Wednesday now).

The first one is everything pretty much lined up with where it should go when he's reassembled...
    [att]3395[/att]
    A friend & I sanded (and in some cases stripped) down a lot of the parts and reapplied another coat of paint to them... They turned out extremely well. I ended up picking up a new can of orange Krylon (*NOT Fusion*) to use on the chest piece that makes up the front windows. I'm very satisfied with how well that turned out, the paint is adhering to it very nicely, and I haven't seen any chipping (as of yet)!

When we touched up the sides of the grill (after I'd accidentally stipped some of the chrome paint off it when I was removing the Pepsi Prime colors), we found out that the 'chrome' marker pen we were using wasn't exactly 'chrome', I decided to repaint as much of the existing chrome was we could. The only pieces we left as-is were the wheel rims and the robot's thigh pieces (since they'd have been a bear to tape off, and disassembling the front axle was out of the question). -Although, I think the 'metallic' paint did very well, and looks rather nice, if not as shiny as the chrome was anyway...

While my buddy was working on painting the chrome pieces, I was busy trying to get the feet to take some black paint, but no matter what I did they just didn't want to... Between the paint spider-webbing as it dried, running, or just not taking any paint at all; I decided to go back to the drawing board and use an old idea of mine... Why not paint the feet the same metallic color as the 'chrome'? Back when I'd originally stripped Pepsi Prime of his paint, I noticed his die-cast feet and thought they looked pretty eye-catching! -And since the black Krylon Fusion wasn't taking to the metal (duh!) very well, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to go with the flow and use that idea I had way back when...
    [att]3396[/att]
    [att]3397[/att]
    -I don't know what you think, but *I* really like that look!

Finally, we added some paint to the head (which has been seen already, but I thought I'd repost it anyway)...
    [att]3398[/att]
    -Alright, on top of the black paint, we've added some silver to the mouthplate and his head crest, a metallic green paint was used for his eyes (visable better in the light), and the same orange paint used on his die-cast chest piece was sprayed into a receptacle, and then brushed onto the figure's 'eyebrow'. -It looks like I'm going to have to touch up the eyebrow a bit (since we don't have enough paint on it at the moment), and quite possibly the mouthplate as well- it looks spiffy in person, but the photos show that the paint there could use another coat or so...

Finally, I have no guarantee as to when the Reprolabel set shall arrive, but that's my own fault for not letting Dec0y know I'd like it by this weekend until a week ago. To his credit, he wrapped up the final design for them and sent them to the printer PDQ after my request though! -It's all a matter of how long it takes the printer to get them finished and in the mail! If it weren't for him, Jimmyjimjim's digibash artwork, and all the kudos & support from everyone, I sincerely doubt this project would have ever hit the ground running (at the last minute before I enter this thing into an art contest at Dairycon)...

Oh, as for that "Second-to-last thread" bit, I plan to keep this thread as the last WIP thread, the only images I can add to it at this point are the assembled figure, the touched-up head and still consider it a "WIP"... As soon as those sticker sheets get here, applied to the figure, and he looks like THIS:
    [att]3394[/att]
    -this guy will be DONE!
    :thumb 

Attached Files:

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Starting to look really good. Glad to see it's almost done. Been a long time coming for this guy

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Can't wait for you to get the stickers man.

4. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Neither can I sir, neither can I...

5. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I like the chrome/silver feet. Just make sure you take your time placing each of those stickers on him when they finally arrive. It might be tempting to slap them on and get the instant gratification, but the payoff will be much bigger if you put a little extra time in to get them just right.

Man, if I'm excited about this custom, I can't imagine how you must feel. :) 

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good man :thumb  Glad to see you moving forward with this project....look forward to the end result :D 

7. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, I'll be assembling him sometime today (since we'll be leaving for Dairycon tomorrow), so I'll be sure to get some pics of him up for you all...

*humming happily*

8. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, look at that, it looks like the Kitty Truck's been assembled! The only things missing at the moment are a new windshield -cut from a CD case with a Dremel tool (which I will be making as soon as my wife wakes up from her nap) and;when they arrive, the custom sticker set...

[att]3460[/att]
    [att]3461[/att]
    The only things I noticed were:
    -you can see a little red bleeding through his right headlight/cuff
    -the area immediately below the grill (where I'd taped off the black to paint the orange) has a little orange on it-guess I didn't put the tape on far enough forward. No biggie though, I'm ok with it!
    -Joints were a lot tighter than I anticipated, especially in the shoulders & elbows! Although he's able to transform, I doubt I will be doing it very often for fear of paint rub! If I make another one of these guys, I'll be sure to take that into account next time!
    -Next time I'm going to pay a little more attention to where each screw came from. Not a big deal, as he only has three different screw sizes, but it was annoying either way...
    -Still have to touch up the head as well... For the time being I'll be limiting myself to painting the orange onto the brow, the 'metallic' paint I'd used is over at my father-in-law's and I won't be able to get access to it for a little while...
    [att]3459[/att]
    He's no longer Pepsi Prime!

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I take it you didn't sand any of the joints before you painted it all up, did you? :lol  It looks really nice man, I hope you get your stickers soon. Have fun at the 'con.

10. Methusalen

News Credits:

I actually did sand the ankles & the forearms (only not much in the way of the elbow), but the shoulders I had completely spaced... As for the window, it's been cut, fit, & glued into place! Only thing to do is touch up the brow!

11. plowking

News Credits:
    That really looks cool bud :thumb ....cant wait to see him all "decaled" up!!

12. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, I touched up the brow a bit more, but it still looks a little 'sloppy' up close, but at arm's length, it looks darned good! I'd also taken the flatbed trailer he came with, removed the Pepsi stickers from the upper supports & painted the dollies/arms black (to match the figure).

I brought him with to Dairycon to enter into their art contest and took 3rd place (out of 20 or so entries)! Even though this was taken early on (before all the other entries made it to the table), here's a pic of some of the entries). Even though he's missing his whiskers, he did better than I anticipated! There were some pieces there that I didn't think I had a chance against, like an Alt. Soundwave made from a Swindle & a Wheeljack from Cyb. Downshift...

I think I may go and figure out how to make a tanker trailer for him, since the Kitty Truck hauled whey to cheese factories, at least as far as I remember anways -although I do have pictures of it with that matching flatbed trailer (used to haul crushed cars)... So, I have to figure out how to turn the Pepsi flatbed into one like this tanker trailer without hacking up a Scourge or Laser Optimus Prime trailer (since they're out of scale IMO)...

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    just get a model trailer, 1:43 I believe. Congrats on getting 3rd place, btw :) 

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Congrats on the win man! :thumb 

Dairycon looks like a lot of fun!

15. plowking

News Credits:
    CONGRATS on the win man :D  :thumb 

And yeah, what Redline said, just find yourself a tanker trailer already made....unless you wanted to scratchbuild one....

16. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Scratchbuild, eh? Go out and get myself a 24oz can, fill it up with some sort of hardening filler, sand down the existing trailer, apply painted can onto flatbed, *POOF!* tanker trailer? Nah... it's all wrong...

Yeah, an assembled model sounds like the way to go, it'd be a heck of a lot easier on me than scratchbuilding something... and even then, it shouldn't be too difficult to modify the top portion of a model kit to fit onto the base of Prime's trailer (the Pepsi Prime uses the same wheels, dollies, & peg as the G1 Prime- only with a flatbed instead of the box trailer).

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I wouldn't change anything on the trailer, other than to modify it with a cut piece of tube styrene so that it can peg into the hole on the back of prime's legs. no reason to graft the top onto his trailer, especially as his trailer is guarranteed to be too wide.

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Congrats on the win!! It was well deserved. The chrome is spot on!!

19. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Alright, consider it advice taken! I'll start looking around for a 1:43 tanker trailer for him...

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Congrats on the winning third place. I hope to see this custom when everything is finished.