Minor/Repaint: Kitty Truck -Complete!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Well, last night I received my Kitty Truck Reprolables set in the mail, and promptly proceeded to apply the stickers to the figure! For all intents & purposes, he is finished!

As requested below, I've edited this first post to add a picture of the original Kitty Truck. This was the semi that my family fondly remembers from my great-uncle's family business "Annis Trucking". His brother (my grandfather) drove the rig the most, and for that I'll always equate Kitty Truck with my grandfather...

But, I'm sure you all want to see pictures, eh?

BEHOLD! The "Kitty Truck"!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only issues I had with the Reprolabels set were that the orange was a bit brighter shade than the paint I used on the figure, but it's not as noticeable in person... Also, we (or I, since I was the one who traced out the template to make the match the stickers up to!) miscalculated the shape around the semi's grill... I had to snip the sticker that was supposed to go all the way around the grill and fit some leftover orange sticker above the grill... I think I may go back and re-do this though, cut the left-over stickers to fit a bit better or MAYBE even go back and completely remove the orange from the stickers altogether w/ an xacto knife... It looks good enough for me though, so I'll be leaving it alone for now! Definitely a successful project in my opinion, and my first 'finished' repaint!

Attached Files:

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Very cool, I've been watching this one scene the digibash.
    Nice to see it completed.:thumb 

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    awesome! They turned out beautifully. Excellent job all around. You have just one thing left to do... spray a clear coat (I'd say semi-gloss from the look of it) to protect those labels so they never peel off. :)  The silver doesnt' look out of place at all!

4. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

That turned out really awesome. Congrats on your first 'finished' repaint, especially one with such meaning.

:thumb 

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Dude, your grandpa would be proud. its a very badass looking custom some work like you said but still its awesome, so congrats on the completion.

6. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Congratulations! That looks really cool. Would you mind posting that pic of the real-life truck in this thread?

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job man! I love it and so would your gramps.

8. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Very cool. What's the significance of Kitty Truck?
    Also, it would be great if you could get some real smoke-stacks for at. A3U has some, I believe.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I don't know all the details, but I remember him saying that his grandfather used to drive a truck exactly like that, so he wanted to pay tribute to him. If I remember correctly, he also posted a picture of the actual truck.

I think it turned out great, Methusalen! I've also been watching it for a while now. Nice job!

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Yeah, I'd say this is probably one of the more anticipated customs on the site. That is so cool. Great story, fun custom. Good job!

(Does he have a bio yet? If not, allow me to suggest Wildcat, Autobot Transport Coordinator. He's in charge of keeping the Autobots' equipment and personnel moving from place to place.)

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You should b very proud of this one, bro. The paint is very smooth, and the decals look great. Congrats!!

12. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I hadn't known that this would have turned out to be "probably one of the more anticipated customs on the site", that's pretty cool to know! I edited the first post to add a couple pictures of the real-life semi (well, we've all assumed that this particular semi was turned into a 1' x 1' cube by now, that's what great-uncle Eldy wanted to happen to it after he passed away anyways)... If anyone would like to look through my Photobucket account with all my Kitty Truck WIP pics follow that link to check them all out... They're out of order (basically starting from the bottom and working up to the finished product), but all the pictures I've taken/modified/etc are there in that folder... Otherwise search for "Sentimental Digibash Request" and "Sentimental Digibash Request... Continuted", those were two threads I started up regarding this project.

I've got A3U's website bookmarked at the page for the repro-stacks and think I'll be ordering the set eventually. They definitely do look pretty nice! It also means I'll be pulling out the metallic paint again though... Can't be putting shiny chrome on it after I painted over all the rest of it!

I'd thought about putting a clear-coat on him (and I know the reasons for doing so), but am leery to do so. The last time I did a clear coat I ended up ruining the paint job of the Armorhide trailer... Give me a little more time to finish up the touch-ups to him (fixing that orange sticker), and touch up his elbow, where the pieces are rubbing and wearing the paint away. Then I think I'll give it a touch of clear-coat! I assume I'd be disassembling him again to do that?

I am proud with how well it's turned out, and believe that I will be going ahead with my original idea and eventually make a few copies of this figure to give to my mother & father as gifts in months/years to come...

I'm sure that if anyone wanted to use the 'whiskers' sticker set on a project of their own, feel free to contact Dec0y13 or Delta. I'm sure they'd be able to modify the color scheme of the stickers to match whatever color you'd want to use on your own figure! This one's based on a real-life paint scheme, it's just different enough from the regular stripe on Prime to stand out, and it looks damned good (IMHO anyways), and to tell you the truth, I'd love to see other Primes with this sticker set!

13. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Cool, and very interesting! Nice work dude

14. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

That turned out great! :thumb 

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

Your paint has had plenty of time to be fully cured, a clearcoat will not damage it. You don't have to take it apart to give it a clear coat either. :) 

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that came out great!!....I love it.

Sentimental bashes are always the best. Top shelf work man.

Grandpa would be proud :thumb 

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

That is absolutely SOLID. Very clean looking on all apsects. I really like how this guy turned out. Glad you got him finished. :) 

18. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

Hey, Methusalan! Glad to see it complete! Looks great, man, congrats.

19. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Hey, I believe Dec0y used YOUR digibashes to base the stickers off of, especially since the first sticker set had the whiskers ending together (just like your digibashes did)...

Thank you again for the help Jimmyjimjim, I know it gets old to hear, but if you hadn't shown that it could've been done, I don't think it ever would have come to fruition!

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

THat is amazing!!!!!!