Minor/Repaint: KITT-Bashing...Knight Industries Two-thousand Transformer

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JAFOPrime, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JAFOPrime

JAFOPrime All work and no play.....

I got this idea awhile ago. So I went looking to see if anyone else had done one yet and found that delta7890 had asked about it, so at least I am not the first to think about it. Delta7890 mentioned that we now have a Mustang for the newer version.

So I thought I would use Tracks as he resembles the original KITT. I think the face ended up looking like Menasor, although for the life of me I can not Mensors face in my collection to compare. Other than the blue to black and his face, I added some silver to his missles and left the rest as is.

But being made into KITT (Knight Industries Two-thousand Transformer) would not be complete without his signature light under his hood. I remember reading fschuler’s posting of his Electrified Alternators Shockwave v2.0 so I used it as a reference to help me out.

I have it wired to shut off when the hood is opened.
    [ATT]8326[/att]

Using a single LED light give light but it does not fill the area I cut out of the hood. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to make this effect better please let me know. A simple repaint but I like how it turned out.
    [att]8329[/att]

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You now have my eternal badge of fandom, JAFO. I loved Knight Rider as a kid, and that light inder the hood brings back some fond memories. Grade A!

I would have though Kitt would have had a face mask, though. :thumbs2: 

3. scouse--13

scouse--13 13

that alsome

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Funny, that's exactly what I was just thinking! :lol 

For the light, I'm wondering if you could either fit a second LED in the other side to fill the gap, or add some diffusing red plastic in the grille (maybe an old Tech Spec decoder rubbed with very fine sandpaper to frost it?), so the light from the LED is spread across the bar rather than just looking like an LED.
    Brilliant idea, though. :D 

5. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Oh No...KITT-Bash hahaha. I like the LED under the hood, works very well!!!

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

You could probably cut a piece of clear plastic, like from a CD case, into the right shape and use it as a crude light-pipe. You'd want it so one end is touching the LED and the other is cut to fit in the appropriate gap (and maybe detailed to look like KITT's ...whoosher, I guess you could call it). The biggest issues would be the thickness of the plastic and where it would end up in robot mode.

ETA: I'm not sure I like the Tracks head here - I think a Jazz or Windcharger or someone with a visor would be more KITT-like. Grimlock, maybe.

-hx

7. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Just an idea;try to find one of those rear-end red lights made for bicycles that have different patterns on them,(side to side,flash,stationary,etc.),and try to manuvere it under the hood and facing the hole you cut out.The only problem is you would have to find one small enough or just remove the LED's and the power source and hook it up under the hood.

8. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, since I am a huge fan of the original KR series, and so far am not too sure about the new show, I must say that I love this custom! I love what you did with the LED light to resemble the scanner.

I do also agree with Ramrider about the techspec plastic to fill the space to make it look more uniform. But otherwise, AWESOME JOB!!!

9. JAFOPrime

Thank you for the ideas so far. I'm going to have to try a few. Good thing I have a few extra tech spec decoders around. Keep the ideas coming. And I am going to look into a different face, I never thought of it, I was busy worrying about the light looking cool.

10. colley

colley Chou Henshin!

Awesome! I'd always thought the corvette mold woul dhave made a good base for an Alt. KITT. Nice to see someone else had the same idea.
    I gotta agree with the other comments though. He needs a face plate or a visor, probably both.

And as far as your picture saying a "Failed return," you did know the series has been green lit for this fall, right? :) 

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the new series is not KR to me, them using a Ford is blasphemy to me.

Nice job on the custom man, and I support the notion of a second LED and a piece of red plastic too.

12. JAFOPrime

I have to say I am fairly alarmed to hear that. I only watched some of the premier move because some was all I could take.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That is too slick JAFO!!...I am really liking what you got.

You can also try clear acrylic rod....thats what I used on Alt Bludgeon that REDLINE and myself made...check the galleries...RL added a video so you can see just how good the light passes thru the acrylic rod.

14. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

Very slick. :thumb 

15. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice, but the head is not it. You should at least use a head with a visor (to replicate the signature light)

16. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Hahaha, I was actually going to do this myself, one day! Make a KITT using one of the electrical hobby kits that has a sweeping led array....

I was going to either go with a Black Shockblast head with one glowing red eye... or a crappy David Hasslehoff head, a la Turbo Teen. :lolol 

[​IMG]

17. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, a Soundwave/shockwave head would seem more ideal... Maybe even a TFTM Jazz head, if you can light his visor red.

But I think any face with a visor, crown, and face mask would look fine...

18. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Amazing work. I too am a huge old school Knight Rider fan, so I;m glad to see this bash executed so successfully. I was considering doing something similar to a spare Classic Sunstreaker when he comes out.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    if you hit up a party supply store, they usually have lots of pins with LEDs on them, some with trailing lights (they will light in sequence from left to right like the real-deal)

awesome job on this.

20. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL That is awesome! Love the look.