Kitbashing rare figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nemisispringer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it just me or sometimes when you look at a kitbash thread and you see a rare figure beeing bashed do you cry out in horror honestly it really gets to me when hard to find figures are bashed especially when there is a cheaper and more easily obtained version of that mold. What do you guys think?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Only if they completely screw up the figure. No problem if they make it better.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree. Rare figures tend to cost more due to their rarity, so bashing one makes them more rare and therefore more expensive. Last thing we need to do is make pricey figures more pricey.

4. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    While I might cringe at the repaints of the very rare figure (as long as it wasn't a junker to begin with), kind of like a MISB fan cringing at a video of someone opening a rare MISB figure... It's honestly none of my business...

If it's a small mod (like a head swap or some such), then I feel 'better' about it... :D 

5. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    What does it matter to you, what someone else does with their figure?
    If you want to look at it another way, for every rare figure that is bashed.
    Every other figure goes up in value.

In the end, a figure is only "rare" to the person that is holding it.

6. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Fixed it for you...

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Wait till you see the custom I'm working on! I've taken a Botcon 2006 Megatron, and I'm gonna slap a new head on it and repaint it into... get this.... Classics Countdown! It's gonna be awesome.

After that I'll be repainting E-Hobby Astrotrain white, like a real space shuttle. Who wants a grey and purple space shuttle, am I right? Space shuttles are white.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    People can do what they want with what they buy.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Genius!

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Three scenarios for me:

- It's a figure I don't have and want to get eventually - Yes, a little. But it's the owner's figure and they can do whatever they want with it.
    - It's a figure I don't have and never intend to get - I don't care.
    - It's a figure I have - Definitely not! Kitbashing that one and taking it off the potential market reduces the already limited supply and makes my copy more valuable. In this scenario, I fully support people kitbashing as many of the figures as possible.

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    At most i cringe a little when they do a horrible kitbash, especially if it's a nice mold. But honestly and as many have said already, it's their figure and they can do whatever they want to it.

12. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Theres a gallery that someone made of some black "nemesis" colored g1 minibots.
    The gallery shows 2 Bumblejumpers painted black. They look pretty cool, which I guess is the point, but I can omly imagine how much $ was re-painted there. I know how much I paid for my g1 Bumblejumper, and whoa. To have 2 and re-paint both, is an expensive proposition. I did enjoy looking them, and in formation, the set of all the minibots looks awesome, I personally wouldnt paint them - the Bumblejumpers anyway. I didnt cringe or anything, but still.

13. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Saw a kittbashing of Botcon Clench. Made me go wtf as onslaught is(was) easy to get.

BB28

14. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    See its stuff like this and people bashing universe Nemesis primes and some of the rarer alternators etc that i really cringe at and i know its that persons figure and they have the right to do as they please but why wouldnt you just buy a cheaper version of the mold or just use a diffrent figure.Some people cant even offord to own the moldin the first place due to rarity let alone use it for customising.

15. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Most kitbashers are very good at finding deals & going after figure others would most likely never touch.
    I've picked up "rare" figures for less then the "regular" ones many times.
    9 times out of 10, it's the mold we are after, not a specific version of it.

Personally to date. I've used an SDCC Rodi, an Alt Swindle, 3 Ani Acree's, 1 BW Rampage & 1 Alt Sunsteaker. All for customs
    All of these are considered "rare" in someway. None of which I paid higher then retail for.

Hell, I just picked up 07 Gunbarrell, Reverb, E. Barricade & both FP upgrade kits for less then a ROTF Bruticus is going for on Ebay own now days.
    Deals are out there, you just have to look for them.

But I guess because you can't afford it, neither should we?

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What do I think? I find the outrage hilarious, that's what.

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    If there's a good reason to seek out that particular version of the mold (the rare one), there is nothing wrong with it. nothing. we all make sacrifices for our art.

Not to mention, it changes nothing about the rarity of a piece any more or less than someone who just buys it to own it. it goes in their house, end of story.

Granted, the bashed one can't go back out on the market as the same, but oh well. and if you're worrying about the price going up, what are you doing buying rare figures you have to worry about affording? the "general" you, not any one in this thread in particular.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must asmit I do that upon first sight but the transformer's fate is up to the owner. Plus some really cool stuff comes as a result.

19. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    No its not that at all its not about the money i just think its a shame is all. I dont mind you customed 3 animated arcees but why use an offical sdcc rodi when you could use the KO and why use alternators sunstreaker when you coul have used dead end. Hell you could have sold either figure and baught the other version with a profit.

Honestly i think i just care about the hypothetical "other people" too much evreytime i see a bash with a rare figure i just imagine someone who was looking for sunstreaker to go with his sideswipe etc im sure the truth is if people really want a rare figure they will buy it eventually

20. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    reminds me of the time I melted the foot of my junker Fort Max...not quite a rare figure, but...