Customs: kitbashing questions, specifically joints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mweeuser, Mar 17, 2009.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am looking to try some kit bashing and am just in the planning stages. I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with.

1. About joints in general, are there places you can buy joints or parts to make them or do most people salvage them off other toys? I have seen some ball joint sets but what about the pins with the barbed ends that you can remove with heat, can those be bought outright? How about the ratcheting joints like in a lot of the MP's? Any thoughts on joints is appreciated

2. I'm looking at needing some pin joints in the center of a torso and was wondering if anyone has tips or thoughts on how to drill a whole for a pin to go in if it's 2 inches or more in lenght. I have a pin vise I'm just thinking about how to get something that long and small to be straight.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I pull all my parts and joints from existing transformers. I have them separated into boxes with "small" "medium" and "large" Most are remains of full TFs, many are just joints/arms/hinges/etc (anything I see potential value in)

I would suggest hunting down a "lot" of Transformers off ebay, typically, I've gotten 10 or more junkers for around 20 bucks. There's a ton of parts in every batch, good for everything.

I would also suggest not buying raw joints, they are pricey, and typically you'll find they are (a) not the correct size or (b) harder to integrate into your customs.