Customs: Kitbashing an Avatar RDA Gunship?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by jorod74, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the RDA Gunship from the Avatar line yesterday and it's okay.
    [​IMG]

but i have had this idea in my head of getting a second one after they go on sale and trying to mod it to look more like a real helicopter.

At the top of the toy there is a lot of space for a shaft so that a large main rotor could be put in.

my questions are basic:

1. I want to keep the project simple, so would it be easier to make it a standard chopper -main rotor and tail rotor- or a coaxial chopper like the Kamov:
    [​IMG]

2. Any suggestions for the parts? I didn't want to use the rotors from the Gunship. The rotors from the RoC D-hawk are about perfect because the 2 aircraft are almost the same size, but that toy has been damn nigh-impossible to find in this area and I didn't want to bust up a great $25+ toy for this.

3. So is this a pretty basic, simple, easy project? I don't want to do anything fancy other than have spinning rotors. *they be spinnin'!*

Any help here would be appreciated. Thnx!

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say the first thing to do is try and find out what scale that Avatar Copter is made in, or at least close to it, and then you can start to hunt down a model kit that has the look or parts setup you want, and you could then use that for the parts. I'm sure you can find a kit a lot cheaper you know?

If you know the scale, that'll eliminate a lot of trial and error/test fitting.

3. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! I didn't consider model kits.
    i guess i was thinking of getting parts from a KO/off brand toy helo and going from there.

we have a decent hobby shop that may have a junk parts box. they have one for R/C planes and copters, so that may be a way to save even more.

4. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I know you already have an idea in mind for this, and I've never seen the actual toy, so this may not even be possible, but I look at that first pic and all I see is what could be an awesome ROTF Springer custom. About how big is it?

5. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    ..............why don't you just buy a helicopter that looks the way you want it to?

Seems to me like you're just going to go through a lot of unnecessary trouble, buying a toy you don't like... then buying another toy you do like... then tearing the one you do like apart in an attempt to make the one you don't like... into the one you do like.......

- Alty

6. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Roughly, it is the size of Ldr Jetfire's alt mode. Wingspan is about 1-2" wider than JF's.

Now i would love to see a Springer kitbash, but i have none of that kind of skillz, lol.

Looking over the plane again, the tail fins are too thin and bendy for a tail rotor, so i will stick to that Coaxial (that kamov) idea.

I like the gunship toy. That's why i am buying another one to bash. it's just that i see a truly bad-ass attack helo that could be a mid 21rst century chopper or something that could fit in with my Joe collection.

and the only real work i am doing is building the gunship out of te box, without putting on those ducted fans, drilling a central dorsal hole and mounting rotors that spin freely.

last time i checked at WM and TRU, etc, they didn't have a helicopter that could look that good, lol. well, not armed to the teeth like that either.

I am heading out to TRU later today, gonna look at some cheap True Heroes or some off brand toys for the rotors.