Digibash: Kitbash Idea- Need Help

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Ravenxl7, May 28, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. This is another kitbash idea I'm thinking about attempting, but I'm stuck on whether or not it'll be possible, and if it is, how I should go about doing it. I want to use Universe Heavy Load, and mod him into a Classics version of Scrapper, but don't know how I'm going to be able to get the alt-mode to go from a cement mixer to a scoop loader. I figured I would ask here before putting too much time into trying to figure it out, as there are plenty of great minds on here that might be able to help me out with this. Getting rid of the mixing barel, and replacing it with a normal arm is an obvious mod. It's more or less how I'm going to get the rest of the alt-mode to look right once done. I've already got an idea in my head, so I'm going to try and sketch it out to see if it would work or not. I've never owned the mold, so I only have pictures to go off of. Thanks for any and all help I get with this.

Attached Files:

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just added a really quick digibash of my basic idea for it. Basically I would use the cab to form a new arm, then heavily remold the legs so that the transform like in the picture. Then find a toy or something of his alt-mode in the right size and take the front scoop, then make it attach to the front of his alt-mode, and be a sheild or something in bot-mode. What do you guys think? Like I said, I don't own the mold, so I don't know if this'll be possible to do or not.

3. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Why would you make this guy into Scrapper over Mixmaster???

- Alty

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I want a nicely sized Scrapper to go along with my other Decepticon Gestalt Leaders. I would have gone with Cybertron Landmine, but I'd much rather have a Voyager sized Scrapper than a Deluxe one. That and this kitbash will be a nice challenge once I go to do it.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Anybody? Like I said, I've never owned the mold, so I don't know if this would be possible to do or not.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    imo, this isn't the mold to bash into scrapper. Several things make this almost impossible or extremely difficult to maek this happen.

- The vehicle is controlled by the cab in the front, which become the legs.
    - there's a cement barrel
    - no scooper

going this route, you're going to give yourself a headache, you might be better off almost scratchbuilding

7. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

what about using armada scavenger instead

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It can be moved from that spot (theoretically at least).

It can be removed.

There isn't one now, but that doesn't mean I couldn't attach one.

Honestly, the difficulty of this bash is something I'm looking for. If I was only going to do a straight up repaint, I would be using a different mold.

Honestly, if my only two choices were use the Armada Scavenger mold or completely scratch build it, I'd rather scratch build it. Yeah, the Scavenger mold has the proper alt-mode already, but the mold honestly sucks, imo.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just curious, does anybody actually like this idea? have any ideas on how this could be done? Also, I have another kitbash idea for another Decepticon Gestalt leader, but I can already guess that one's not going to be widely liked, lol.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't think this is the best way to go. A voyager sized Scrapper is cool, but working backwards from this figure is probably not the way to go. Headaches will result.

Scrapper's not a hard design to replicate. I would suggest you find a voyager figure with a basic form and good solid joints (Mudflap comes to mind) cheap, then buy a toy construction loader of the right size, and go from there... basically "shell" the loader toy around the transformer.

zmog

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would use Cybertron Landmine for it

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I'd agree. Plus Landmine is a nice figure, solid, easy to mod.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The more I think about it, the more I think I'll probably do this. Not sure what mold I'll use as a base yet. If I can get a Mudflap for cheap I'll use that. Next time I go to Target I'll see what different options I'll have.

While Landmine does already have the proper alt-mode, I'm looking for something bigger than a Deluxe (Voyager would be perfect, imo). That way he'll fit in better with the other Decepticon Gestalt Leaders.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm liking the Mudflap idea, actually.

The trouble is, you're shooting down Scavenger for having a sucky mould (not incorrectly), but making that mould better wouldn't be any harder than making Heavy Load into a payloader. Either way, it's a lot of work.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    so....basically you're scrapping the entire mold, to go with something this mold represents in no ways at all, other than the fact the are both construction vehicles?

And, there won't be much in Target...you're better off hitting up our Wanted section, or ebay. Trust me, I have too much experience hitting up many TRUs, Targets, and WalMarts, only to find I could buy something on (usually cheaper) and have it in 2 days.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't think there are enough possible mods out there that could save the Scavenger mold, imo. I'd much rather start out with a decent mold to work with.

Wait...what? I'm honestly going to say that I'm confused, but here's my guess at what you're saying. Basically that the base TF used for a kitbash has to represent the final product to a certain degree before any modifications? If I was doing just a repaint (aka no physical modifications at all) that would be true, but as I'm not doing a straight up repaint, it isn't. I'm not trying to argue here (sorry if I come off like that), I'm just trying to get my point across that just because a TF starts off with a certain alt-mode, doesn't mean that it can't be modified to have a different alt-mode.

Personally I prefer buying something in-person, though I'm not completely against buying stuff over the internet (as I have bought TF's from fellow board members). I'm going to try Target first, basically out of curiosity. I've had a lot of luck with finding stuff there, and I'll be going there anyways, so I might as well look around while there.

I'm probably just overreacting to your guy's comments, but, if feels like I'm being ganged up on here, and for no reason. If parts of my post sound a bit harsh, and if the mods want me to, I'll edit it.