Customs: Kitbash/Custom Question re: Markers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Crobot91, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Hi all,
    I've decided to re-colour my extra Pretender Classics Bumblebee as Pretender Classics Cliffjumper. An example of this toy can be found at this link:
    http://www.tfu.info/1989/Autobot/Bumblebee/bumblebee.htm

I'm not a big fan of re-paints 'cause chipping always occurs after I transform the figure. I've decided to use a heavy-duty red marker to change the yellow into red. Any suggestions as to which type of marker will achieve the following goals:
    i) Permanence (i.e. no wear over time)
    ii) No streaking (i.e. nice clean uniform colour)
    iii) Most absorption into the yelow plastic (if possible)

Black sharpies usually work well for surfaces that need to be re-coloured black but I don't think the red ones are as successful.

Thanks in advance folks!

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the best thing to do to avoid chipping is to sand down the places that wear can occur, whether its an actual joint, or a part that during transformation goes through a point of really low clearance. Sanding these areas down to allow for more room for the extra thickness that added paint increases, and you'll avoid the problem.

That being said, you can ALWAYS tell if something's been painted with a marker or not, even a black sharpie. Tilting the toy around to get the right angle to your light source will give it away as its an ink, and the shade will change.

If you must use a marker (I do sometimes) use a paint marker and not a "normal" one. Metallic paint markers can especially be pretty.

3. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Yea as redline said sand down high wear areas use the smallest grade sand paper. and I would use primer and a red Testors Paint marker as they don't leave streaks like you'll get from a red marker and clear coat it.

No matter what kind of Ink marker you use the oils in your skin and the plastic will allow the ink to wear off over time.

4. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! :)