Kiss Play Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Cheebs, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Three main points to get out of the way first:

*There is no die-cast. I know this is a deal-breaker for many. If you are in the no-diecast = no-sale crowd, I understand and won't try to change your mind.

*This is by far the best release of this mold. It still retains the Binaltech attention to detail, and blows the Hasbro release right out of the water in the looks department.

*Mellisa on her own isn't that creepy. If this was a BT* release and didn't have the obscene box art and illustrations, along with the sexual overtones the story implies, I don't think anybody would have had a problem with the Melissa figure itself. It would have been tossed aside and forgotten just like the other BT* women without any uproar. Unfortunatly, the creepy box art and illustrations do exist...

So, about this Convoy fellow...
    Right off the bat, every square inch of the red plastic is painted. It appears to be the exact same paint as the roof of the Alt release. This does a WORLD of good to not make the truck look like such a......well....toy. First of all, it's shiny. Second, sculpted details come through better. Finally, and most importantly, light no longer shows through the plastic. Having light shine in to the top of the Alternators truck bed lighting up the side panels from the other side really made it look cheap. No such problems with Convoy.

This toy also goes the extra mile in the detail department for the truck mode. Obviously, the wheels and front grill are chromed where they are painted silver on the Alt release. I will admit that I miss the black wash on the front grill that the Alt had, but it still looks fantastic. Then there's the less-obvious details that add up to make the truck shine. Details like the mold change to the roof to add the brake light. The intierior has also been fully painted (painted gauges, stereo, etc). The brake lights are now accurate with red paint around the individual lights. The back window also has black trim now where the Alt release was totally clear (that looked really cheap). Finally (as far as I can remember off the top of my head), the front fog lights have a silver backing instead of the totally clear lights the Alt had. In all, it makes for a truck that looks a million times better.

The 'bot mode is a totally different deco. We all know about Convoy's astounding color-crotch technology, but aside from that you'll just have to dig up photos to see the difference. Personally, I like both Prime and Convoy's 'bot decos equally, so variety=good.

In the end for me the biggest factor is that the red plastic is totally painted. I can't over-state how much better it makes everything look.

Yes, it's an expensive toy to not have die-cast...but even with the plastic they still went the extra mile with the details and crush the Alt in the visual department as a result. And you get a surf sword. You really don't feel ripped off when you hold it in your hand and examine the fine details. Especially when you put it side-by-side with Alt-Prime.

And let's face it...it's not THAT much more expensive than Alt Prime. You can say Prime is $20 all you want, but the fact is the only way most of us will ever get him is to pay BBTS $30 plus shipping. He's just not in stores. Anywhere. So I say Alt Prime is a $35 toy.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm as puzzled and turned off as the rest of you by the whole kiss-play thing, but at the end of the day I can cast it aside when the main Transformer toy is as good as this.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cool review cheebs.

to bad no evil chicken sound effects. maybe you couldve done a smoochy smooch sound effect. thats actually scarier.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well, you know... A toy as awesomly odd as BWII Galvy just makes me all giddy when I write about it. :D 

4. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Great review! Kiss Prime sounds really nice. But double the price is a very large margin.

Is the domestic price of Kiss Prime really that high? Or are we getting screwed by online retailers?

5. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with all of that. I sucked it up and paid for the KISS Convoy and I am not in the least disappointed with it once it was in hand. Sure, no die-cast, but for as much as that does suck it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I own all of the US only Alternator releases as well as my BT's. Cheebs is totally right about how much better the red paint application makes him look in truck mode. I will say that I personally found the bot mode color scheme to be among the best in the entire Alt/BT line up and I think that its light years better than Alt Op.

On a sour note, however, my KISS Convoy had some minor QC issues that I had to take care of. The pegs that held his bumper pieces together in truck mode were both slightly too big for the holes that they plugged into, causing the bumper to be imcredibly hard to seperate for the first time but completely impossible to reconnect when I transformed it back to truck mode. Same problem with the right fender peg that helps to hold the hood closed. Lucky for me it appears that the addition of the red paint was the culprit so I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to simply squash the globbed up paint until the pegs were the correct size. Everything locks together like it was meant to now. On the worse side, there's noticable speck of silver paint that dripped onto the blue of his knee guard area so I'll have to paint over that myself.

All in all, minus the few QC issues that I encountered, KISS Convoy was very worth the extra cost for me as a BT/Alt enthusiast.

Now if only I could find a place to store this pink box and its unseemly art work where my fiance' won't see it and have to ask me unsettling questions......

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Pics please? :D 

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Damn I want that sword that comes with it, it'd look so good with Nemesis Prime.
    Off to Ebay I go!

8. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

if you don't care for mellissa can you please make a mini vid of her burning to a molten lump of plastic. PREETY PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSE

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Eh I have seen alt Prime in stores about 6 times now and got Two for retail, which still comes to almost $25 cheaper then One kiss convoy at the going $69.99 rate at BBTS.

10. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Convoy make Alt Prime look like an unpainted Prototype. Seeing the two together side by side makes the Alt version look like pure junk. If you want to do this mold justice, you get Convoy. End of story.

Another thing I like about Convoy is that his shoulder things don't fall off every time you pose his arms. The fastening pin is very very tight. Thank goodness.

One of the doors came off right away which is common on these figures. I was annoyed, and then pushed it on hard, and heard a satisfying snap! And now it is on rock solid. Just wasn't assembled properly in the factory.

Yes we all know this figure is hella expensive. This is an expensive hobby. I had to resort to Ebay to find Alt Prime after spending about 80 bucks in gas hunting at the various stores and coming up empty handed, and being very frustrated. Same thing with Mirage.

So why does Alt. Mirage have chrome wheels, and Alt Prime doesn't?

11. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Does the paint scratch easily?

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

My theory is that Alt Prime was supposed to have been more expensive than the other Alternators but Hasbro decided to skimp on a lot things to release it at the $20 price. Such as no chrome and the unpainted crotch plate. Now this isn't meant as a stab at Hasbro that's just what I think they did.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Makes sense - offset the extra plastic of the larger form with fewer paint apps.

As far as wheels go, Prime's are painted silver, just not chromed. I don't keep track of exactly which car models use what, but just looking around it's easy to see that some cars have chrome-coated wheels and/or hubcaps, and others use bare metal, or silver colored paint or plastic. Those with the latter are more accurately represented with silver paint than with chrome. Chrome's shinier, sure, but if it's not repesenting something chromed or polished to a mirror-like surface on the real vehicle, it's not accurate (which some auto fans, and possibly some licensing auto makers are sticklers for)

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i'd buy that too, lesser paint apps to fit alt prime into the 20 bucks bracket.

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not so far...

And remember there's red plastic underneeth of the red paint.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thats...diabolical! score one for takatomy.

17. Magnus Convoy

Magnus Convoy Active Member

BBTS's price for Kiss Convoy is absolutely crazy at $69.99. I picked mine up from JRS Toyworld for $59.99.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I got mine yesterday. The paint applications just look great. I much prefer this colour scheme to Alt Prime's. But the QC is not so great. There are a couple nicks on the roof on my Convoy and a small scratch on the hood straight out of the box. The paint adds thickness making the hood not able to close properly on one side. The doors don't stay on very well because the paint thickness on the hinge. Both fell off during the first transformation, never have the doors fallen off on my Nemesis Prime. All in all, great colour scheme, so-so mold, satisfactory QC.

19. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Hm. bump.

20. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Why bump a feedback thread?