King of Fighters discussion..!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MidnightBliss, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this so..........

I pick up KOF XII today. I have to say it is a mixed bag. I really like the graphics. I like the fighting engine, even if they need to loosen up the controls to compensate for the 360 pad. I played a few games online and I really hope they fix the netcode. It was like playing a slide show.

I don't need a game to have 30 or more characters. Blazblue is awesome with only a few characters. I do wish the characters were more fleshed out. They need opening intros, more win poses, and character interactions. Some characters animate really well, others are only ok. I really hate when they recycle the same walk animation for forward and backwards...Clark, Ralf I'm looking at you.

I like the critical counter system. Nothing like getting a close up of the ass kicking that ensues.

As much fun as I am having it seems really un-polished. They need more modes. I usually play 1-on-1. Yes, even in a KOF. I liked the challenges of KOF XI, 98UM, and 02UM. No boss isn't really a big deal to me as they are usually over-powered.

It feels like they go so far into making a game and needed to get some revenue to continue. They didn't finish the Ash story but, kept things that were supposed to be in it. Iori losing his flames and Kyo's biker look. Then they go back to Terry's old outfit?

I wish the character roster was a little different. I wanted some Nests characters.

All in all a good "step" towards a true next'gen KOF game.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Meh, I just want to see Mai's tits bouncing. That is all...

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i do want this... but i never really got into king of fighters when i was younger, i didn't know anyone who played it. same goes for all the snk games actually...

4. TheInformation

TheInformation The ghost of an automaton

As someone who is REALLY INTO KoF, I was already hesitant about this title. But the more I hear about it, the more MEDIOCRE it sounds. Which is better than I was expecting, to be honest.

I really think that tweaking the engine took a back seat to the facelift. Which is ALL RIGHT. It's not terrible. The graphics are getting the series a lot of attention, a lot more than it ever had in the US. Still, I wish that it showed off the balanced gameplay that the series is known for a little better.

I'll be picking it up in the next few weeks. I seriously suggest getting a fighterpad for 2D fighters on the 360. I got one a few weeks ago, and the difference with BlazBlue alone is astronomical.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually have 2 fight pads. It's still harder than normal to consistantly pull off moves.

6. smangerbot

eeeeh.... good luck with that :( 

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I'll wait for the Euro release ¬_¬:

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I had heard this game was out, but I can't find it anywhere and no one on my friend's list is playing it yet.

I sincerely hope if there is an issue with the net code that SNK will fix it.
    I know this sounds crazy, but in spite of the lack of modes I have no problem with purchasing this game.
    SNK spent a lot of resources in overhauling the series and Street Fighter IV is a hot property right now, so this is a good time for them to strike.
    I may sound hypocritical if they come out with a version next year that is not polished as well, but I really love fighting games so I will buy this one even though it is a little bit of a victim of "get it on the shelves now".

This. They gave Terry an unexpected make over in Mark of the Wolves and then ten years later change him back to his original design?
    Why? I wish that maybe that had done some type of amalgamation of the two looks; putting Terry in the Way Back Machine is just lame.
    In regards to Mai -why is she so prominently featured in trailers and has a fresh character design on the web site if she is not in the game?

I used to spend a lot of time and money in the arcades.
    I played KOF a lot, but whenever I really got into it there would be a new version of VS, Alpha, or III that would steal me back away.
    Another problem was that the arcade would always keep Bubble Bobble or something like that in the same MVS machine so by the time I could spend a little time on the machine I was always about done and ready to be somewhere else.

I could see how the MVS was a good idea and it got overall exposure for a lot of different games, but it never really got them a lot of my money.
    It was one thing to walk in and see that this machine is Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact, but then I had to look at the MVS unit and go, "Okay, this was Bubble Bobble, Baseball Stars, Magician Lord and KOF 99 last week -but today it has Art of Fighting 3, World Heroes, Bubble Bobble and King of Monsters 2. Darn." It was too much work.

I really hope Live provides a good venue and good players.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Allegedly PS3 got a patch to fix netcode already. I would expect something similar on XBox if there is discrepancies between the two still.

10. smangerbot

lack of modes is not concerning, the fact its straight up arcade, versus and online (more or less from what i hear) is all you really need from a fighting game imo... oh and regarding online, QUARTER FUCKING LOBBIES.

oh wait, i find practice mode quite useful too.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Is KOF12 3 vs 3 or 1 vs 1?

I'm hoping for a team mode at least.

12. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Wait...what? Earlier games had it. Don't tell me ESRB is behind it.

13. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I've got this game as of Friday.

It's not for casual fans. The game seems solid and very complex. Netcode should be fixed as of Tuesday or Thursday, until then it's unplayable.

I'll post more thoughts after I get in some sessions with friends today.

14. smangerbot

she's not even in the game B....

not sure if i can handle being a scrub again :lol 

15. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im gonna pick up SF4 first (cause of price drop) and get some of them game pads. Later on I will definitely be picking this (and BlazBlue) up.

How does Iori play without his fire? I'm sad to see his legs aren't tied together for no reason anymore.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I blame additional revenue from DLC, actually.

17. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Damn...

The patch is 772MB.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Is that what your Scouter says?
    I can't imagine that there is that much Netcode in there.

Mai's sprite maybe?
    All I know is that if the Xbox needs a nearly 800 MB patch I will need to do some memory management again.
    Stupid 20 GB hard drive.

19. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    From the Ignition forums:

Update 1.01 Change log:

- You can press Square now to invite a friend.
    - People you have fought appear in PLAYER MET now.
    - Menus are faster.
    - FRIENDS MATCH appears now in the Online section (no need to go through XMB method, but is still there PS3 ver that is)
    - Installation is not OPTIONAL ANYMORE, the Patch technically is the Installation of the game, try to install the game and it will prop you that it's not necessary to install since the patch has the installation in it, that is the reason it's 772 mbs.
    - Netcode is BETTER, yet NOT PERFECT, we aren't sure if the dedicated servers are up already or not, so we will have to wait till then to know if the patch fix the lag with the dedicated servers.

20. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I'll pick this up. Two 2d fighting games are more then enough, plus no Rugal:banghead: !