Kinda dumb tech question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    So I have an essay that I need to submit online. The only problem is, it's typed (with graphs and data and such that I don't want to re enter unless I have to) and printed but not saved. I have a scanner that is functional. Is there any way to scan the pages (there's more than I'd like to retype) in to my computer as documents, or do I need to deal with them as JPGs?

It's fine if I have to deal with them as JPGs, as I've already established myself as the impractical one in the class. I don't think there's anything I can do that wouldn't surprise the teacher (except pass... I haven't figured that one out yet)

Thanks in advance
    SB

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Adobe PDF's are your friend in this case. Seriously.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Depending on the scanner and its software, you may be able to scan them into .pdf format. That's a document file, more or less.

I know I've done that before. Alternatively, you can scan them into .jpg format, then paste each .jpg onto a single page of an open Word .doc. Then just save that. It'll open in word, just like any essay with a single .jpg would.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could use adobe, or powerpoint. Either one would mean your presentation would be one file to open in a viewer, and viewers for both formats are easily available.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'll see if I have any kind of PDF thing, if I don't... I'll go with JPGs in a Word document. Thanks for the help.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes if your scanner came with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software, you'll be able to scan in your document and recover the text so you can easily edit it. Make sure to read over the docment carefully afterwards, the last time I scanned in a doucment like this it screwed characters randomely.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The jpegs in a word document is also definitely a good choice, I've done that and powerpoint before and never run into any problems with it. The only real advantage I've come across when using pdf's, is to send something to someone you don't want to let them edit(like a manual for something).

8. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned