Kinda Bummed About IDW RiD

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ReximusPrime, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ReximusPrime

ReximusPrime Well-Known Member

The crowning jewel of my IDW read through has definitely got to be MTMTE and RiD (read from beginning to Dark Cybertron). MTMTE has its niche and is definitely getting the love it deserves, very good writing.

However, I'm surprised how many dismiss RiD, at least the Pre-Dark Cybertron stuff (from what I'm seeing from RiD 'Season 2', it looks pretty boring, especially with Combiner Wars and Titans Return events intruding)

I think early RiD had just as much promise as its sister comic. As I read it , it really was a constant emotional rollercoaster and very investing:
    I was constantly at a loss of who to route for with people like Arcee and Prowl around and the NAILS having extremely legitimate points but also being massive dicks, Starscream's characterization + friendship with Metalhawk was really out of left field but also strangely satisfying to see growth in the character, Bumblebee's constant struggle as leader was certainly something to hang on and something I wanted to see since watching G1 and best of all no Optimus or Megatron hogging, monologging or quoting the '86 movie for the upteenth time

Overall, I think its the best representation (and to my knowledge only) of a post-war cybertron and what would actually happen. What the characters faced here was much, much less straightforward and thought provoking than their four million year old war.

However, with reading Dark Cybertron and seeing whats coming after this, it looks like that little golden period is over, and with the series being rebranded as 'Optimus Prime' now, I don't think it will ever reach those heights again honestly. I'm just really upset that this series has been constantly rebranded and its premise changed from something relatively new to Transformers, to another kinda generic transformers on earth premise. I will hopefully, find some merit in it as I continue to read.

Really, I just want to know if anyone else really thinks there was something special in pre-dark cybertron RiD? It just feels really underappreciated, but I kind of feel it may just be because (and theorize this is why MTMTE gets a lot of understandable hate too) is because its not really G1 anymore despite being marketed as such, and I kind of wish these two series would just be disconnected from the main series and do their own things.

tl;dr did any of you enjoy pre-dark cybertron RiD and dislike the changes that came afterwards?

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I prefer it after DC.

3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I'm the same, honestly. Post DC RID was, more often than not, set up for Combiner Wars, and then further set up for Titan Wars. Hell, even after Combiner Wars it was kind of a generic instance of mindless fighting between a macguffin wielding Galvatron and a group of Autobots that didn't really have that much going for them character-wise aside from Cosmos and Arcee. Even Prime's annexation of earth leaves much to be desired. It feels like there should have been dire consequences, but we're only really seeing those consequences in a multi-way crossover featuring GI-Joe and ROM.

I was definitely more interested in Pre DC RID when it came out. Mainly because nothing about it felt mandated or forced.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I absolutely hated it before Dark Cybertron. The story was just the 'Cons come up with a plot, Bee fails to do anything, Metalhawk whines, then Prowl and Arcee go and thwart the plan, over and over again. I hate the fact that everyone was either an ass hole, completely useless, or both. There wasn't a single lead character I actually liked. Worst of all was that none of the leads were 'Cons. Well, Screamer was a lead, but he aligned himself with the neutrals, and started acting less and less like a 'Con. I mean, you had Ratbat, Shockwave, and Soundwave, and none of them ever seemed to do much of anything. The 'Cons only existed so Barber could show off how horrible the 'Bots are by constantly killing them.

Then there's the plot twist. It happened years ago, so it's hardly still a spoiler. After 14 issues, 4 volumes of the 'Cons being utterly worthless death-magnets, suddenly it's all revealed to be a big masterplan of theirs. Prowl is revealed to have been under mind control. The main character wasn't actually the main character. Now everyone who liked what the comic had been doing just got slapped in the face, well after people like me would've given up on the comic. I only bought volumes 2-5 when they were on sale, and only so I could read the crossover with MTMTE (and seeing where that comic went afterwards, I regret it even more). The twist could've at least been the start of a new beginning for the 'Cons, but they were beaten in a couple of issues.

After Dark Cybertron, I decided that since I'd read that far, I might as well keep reading a bit more, to see if things improved. They did for a bit, with Galvatron and Soundwave becoming lead characters. Then the plot got stuck on repeat again, with the threat of a new war every few issues, that always got averted. Then the comic was derailed by Combiner Wars, and shortly after, the announcement of Titans Return, and a third Prime Wars Event, so I just gave up. With the comic being sidetracked even more with Revolutions, I feel I made the right choice.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I just bought the book to have something transformers related to read while waiting for mtmte's next issue.

6. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same.

7. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about the use of the WfC designs? That was pretty clearly the first sign of corporate synergy with the toyline.

8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Yeah i didnt like the cons being easy victims all the time and i still dont.
    I didnt like how the comic is a fanfav parade and i still dont.
    PreDC could have been great cause it was all about Cybertronians and it could have had real politics that fueled interesting stories, but Barber messed it up and all we got was Starscream, Arcee, Bumblebee being as one dimensional as they could and reducing politics to a threeway fight between guys who want to be king.
    Its sad that the stories only became intresting when the went back to earth, but thats when Galvatron entered the fray and when Prowl really started to shine, those are what really made the interest of season two for me.
    There where other things offcourse but those two where the main event.

9. Noxex

Noxex Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Season 1 rid was awesome. Season 2 is just "Transformers as usual." I wonder sometimes about whether the different reactions comes from comics fans vs toy fans? Ie - my connection to Transformers is 100% based on the IDW comics, and what I remember of the original cartoon. So when I mean Transformers as usual, I guess I mean "reminds me of vague childhood memories and what I'm guessing the Bay movies are like.". I bring no "baggage" to these books. I'm just looking for good comics. Am I on to something here? I guess I dont even know who are IDW fans vs general TF fans here.

10. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I really loved the pre-DC RiD too. Post, I also quite liked, but it's a different book to an extent, and the cybertronian stuff moved off into Windblade and now TAAO.

11. CaptainButtocks

CaptainButtocks Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think season 1 is an interesting premise that suffered from pacing problems. Read all in one I enjoy it. Waiting month after month I'd lost interest by about issue 8.

I hated DC so gave up on the book after that, sadly.

12. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    For those who liked the pre-DC stuff in RiD and want Cons as main characters, I suggest checking out Till All Are One if you haven't already (I'm loving it).
    I like RiD but the main reason I read it now is for Soundwave. Mtmte and TAAO are my favorite titles right now.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly both seasons have been meh to be overall. They have some good elements but a lot of the time, the characters can be pretty unlikable or uninteresting.

I feel the characters most of the Transformers have gotten more likeable and interesting in the second season but the humans drag it down.

Season 1 had better more unique ideas than Season 2's let's go back to a place that literally hates our guts.

14. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I liked the ideas of pre-DC RID (and as I said before, wanted more 'Cons), and I've got to say I'm kinda liking TAAO. Scott's definitely improving, but she has a long way to go before she writes really good stories.

15. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Preferred the set-up/premise of season 1 RiD but much preferred the execution post-Dark Cybertron.

I would go into a lot more detail but I'm actually not feeling very well at the moment ... Good idea for a thread.