Kilts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 5, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

So... I have been debating wearing kilts now. Question... is it normal? Or... Does anybody else do it?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    On the rare occasion I see someone in a kilt, all I think is "attention whore." Unless it's ceremonial, there's no reason for it. I doubt modern day Scots even wear them.

3. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's tradition in Scotland for men to wear kilts on certain occasions such as weddings or funerals. It's not something you'd wear everyday though.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Dude, you live in the States. Expect to be catcalled and derided everywhere your kilt-wearing self goes.

5. TheDemonDzko

Well, the thing to bare in mind though is... I live in Vegas so... I'm hoping that the culture shock isn't -that- bad.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You have a point. :lol 

7. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

While it's true people wear kilts for weddings/funerals and the likes I sometimes see people just wearing them for a nice night out, normally to a fancy dinner or maybe some sort of grad ball.

If there's a football or rugby game on then yes, there'll be guys in kilts.

So in short, we only wear them for special occasions and even then it's mostly for tradition. Although, the few times I have worn a kilt I could totally see myself just wearing one out and about now and then. Especially to music festivals.....breezy and all that.

If you're going to wear a kilt don't make the horrible mistake of wearing it too low otherwise it'll really look just like a skirt. There's the kneeling test. Kneel down while wearing it. The hem should just JUST touch the ground and no more. Also remember it's worn pretty high over your waistband if you keep finding it to be too long. You may already know all this but it's something I see too often when guys over here wear a kilt and just look like a fanny.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got a kilt somewhere. We've got a bit of Scots in the family line and I think I was given it by a grandfather or uncle or something when I was a nipper. I can only vaguely remember the last time I wore it, for some big family event back when I still spoke to my extended family. I did take the opportunity to do the thing of not having underwear on beneath though. Breezy. Also you wear a kilt and strangely everyone tries to see what you've got underneath it. My wang got a good showing that day. :p 

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends, are you a catholic schoolgirl?

But seriously it's not normal in public, though it is becoming more and more prevalent at formal occassions (if you're actually of scottish ancestry or a member of the Canadian military).

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I have seen once an episode of Sliders where Gary Chalk plays a police officer and they all wear kilts. Wow, it was disturbing and I couldn't take them serious. I know a kilt is not a skirt. But... it still looks like a skirt and basically is...

On the other hand... this is just what we are used to see. If everyone always wore skirts, then no one would look at you crazy.

I personally would feel too naked in a kilt.

11. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I would never wear one for just a normal day out, but I wouldn't mind owning one for super special occasions. Though, to get a proper one with my Family/Clans Tartan is really quite expensive... yes, my roots are primarily Scottish. :p 

BTW, yesterday in the freezing rain, there was a man outside, in his kilt, playing Bagpipes for everyone to hear. He is a true man! *manly tear & a salute*

Speaking of Bagpipes, I really want to learn them >.>

12. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Unless you're Scottish and it's an occassion that warrants wearing a kilt, you'll look like a d-bag.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not if he happens to meet a pasty girl that's into a dude with long hair and a penchant for imitating Scots. Trust me, they exist. You can typically find them at Hot Topic, Renn Faire, and/or anywhere Johnny Depp fans congregate.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  14. seali_me

seali_me Dakilang Mandirigma

Apparently, it's fashionable nowadays. If you're comfortable in it why not? Just don't get mad if a passerby cracks a joke or two. It also depends how you carry yourself never the clothes you wear.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This. Scots in the British army don't even wear them to battle any more.

16. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

I wear mine every once in awhile, it's actually quite comfortable. Although if you care what people think about you, it tends not to be the best thing to wear, what with people attempting to make fun of you, and thinking that you're either an attention-whore or a douchebag just for wearing something.

17. TheDemonDzko

=P Celtic, Scottish. I think i'm safe.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

R:

And if you don't wear something, they get even more upset. There is no pleasing some people...

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Sportkilt.com is a great source for kilts and accessories.

I don't wear mine just on some random day, but for "special" occassions. Though sometimes the "special" occassion is just my fellow kilt-owning friends and myself deciding to wear them on a little pub crawl or something.

[​IMG]

20. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Yep, that's why in cases like this it's best just to wear something you like.

Dzko, If you like kilts, I'd say get one. :D