Kids who have no knowledge of Transformers at all.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GibsonUSA, Jan 21, 2007.

1. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Well-Known Member

I ran into a group of 14 year olds who had absolutely no idea who Optimus Prime was. They weren't being sarcastic....they kept calling him "Octopus Prime" by accident.

Though this is merely a single example, to me it shows how G1 impacted its generation of little kids more than subsequent series did to their respective youth audiences. In fact, I'd think a good % of the audience for Beast Wars, Armada, etc. simply comprises the old G1 audience.

Despite TF being around, kids of the 90s were raised on Power Rangers and Pokemon. "Optimus Prime" and "Megatron" seem not to be as meaningful to them. (I know...heavy generalizations, but these are just my personal observations.)

This will be very important in how the new TF movie needs to be promoted.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You can't expect everyone to know Transformers, though. The TF Movie will thrive regardless of if people know the characters or not, as it is a big budget action movie. It'll feed off the adrenaline of the audience if nothing else.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    well I was born in the 80's and I didn't know who Optimus Prime was until Beast Wars came out and I was asking my friends at school if they knew the show and then one boy mentioned that Optimus Primal was named after Optimus Prime who was the leader from the original show. It wouldn't be until 2006 that I first found out who Rodimus Prime was :p  after I joined this website I decided I wanted to know more about G1 so I watched the movie.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I was introduced to Transformers by BW, as were everyone I know in my age group. Eveyone I know knows who Optimus Prime and Megatron are.

5. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

I try not to talk to children as I cannot stand most of them.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was raised in the 90's and despise both Power Rangers and Pokemon

7. Veritechnium

Veritechnium Well-Known Member

Well, perhaps G1 did have more of an impact. I mean we are talking about the heavyweight animated series of the 80s, ask anyone. The 80s is The Terminator, Wang Chung, Transformers and outrageous fashion.
    It was something new and different that influenced everyone, even my grandparents were familiar with at least Prime and Megatron (and they lived in Germany).
    Its to do with the way they are marketed. Today I see nowhere near as much about Transformers about the place. The TV series gets hardly, if any, adverts anymore, there are no TF toy ads on TV. They are a straight to DVD medium nowadays.
    They just meld into the crowd of other toys rather than stand magnificantly above them today.
    I'm not saying that everyone in the 80s was into TF, but they were so saturated with them, that they were at least familiar to them.
    I'm actually disapointed that they don't get the exposure anymore. I may not be a big fan of the 'new' style of TF and the directions it has gone over the years, but the last thing I'd want to see is that they fade into obscurity like GIJOE.

8. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

It gets worse.... they probably think rap is good music, too.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

I've known more than a few people who grew up around the time of G1 that couldn't tell you who Optimus Prime was. I wouldn't equate a couple kids, in one isolated incident to being indicative of an entire generation.

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm 15 (almost 16 yay!), and I had no idea who Optimus or Megatron REALLY were until after G2. I had the G2 toys, but they were just a tank and a truck. But Ultra Magnus? I knew who he was when I was 2. :D 

11. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

1.They're culturally devoid peasants with an aunt for a cousin and a brain about half the size of your average magpie's, who apparently don't own a tv, a computer or the wireless have no knowledge of pop-culture and are to pre-occupied with trying to get teh hot chics to care

2.Their parents hated them.

I could understand them not knowing about transformers but Optimus Prime is a bit of a pop-culture icon to not know about him just shows their blissful ignorance. I say you just ask them for all of their valuables chances are they'd give them to you...

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Well look at the way the world is these days. Kids these days have their cell phones, Ipods and game systems. So it's most likely they don't care, I mean I'm 28 and I'm a cell phone virgin. And I bet the average 14 yr old could take me to school on cell phone knowledge.

I mean in the 80's all we really had was toys, either action figures like TFs or outdoor toys like balls.

It has nothing to do with TFs not having as much an impact today. As it does with them simply not caring

13. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

i got in around RiD, that was like 5th grade for me! And toys aren't "cool" anymore.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hasbro has already said today's market is a difference place, and toys have nowhere near the appeal to the techno-savvy kids of today as they did when we were kids.

But without generalisation based upon a very small test group, how can a fandom person make a conclusion that supports his own personal beliefs?!? :p 

15. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

We are hitting an interesting point that the companies are taking advantage of, however: the generation that grew up on the classic bots is having kids~
    I'm 23, born in 1984 and grew up totally exposed to Transformers, drowning in them really. That has a bit more impact than getting into them and then growing out of them for a while. You name it, I had it (or still have it in some cases): lunchbox, radio, underwear, bed sheets and blanket, I got it every Christmas and Birthday (January birthdays are a biznatch sometimes though- all the good bots were sold!).
    What we'll start seeing more of, if they're not seeing it already, is that group getting their kids into it because its what mom/dad liked when they were little.

And yes, I can't tell you for how many years I wanted an Optimus figure. Interestingly enough, my mom found a family Christmas tape where I finally did: Powermaster Prime ^_^

16. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

my friend at work is 29 (im 27), and he loves transformers.
    but he still calls him "OCTIMUS prime".

i just :lolol  every time.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are... are you for real?

Most 13 / 14 year old kids these days have about as much chance of knowing who Optimus Prime is as they do knowing the intricacies of Dirac notation. Perhaps most would be aware of Transformers and maybe know that one is a big red truck, but that's about all.

18. A Lance

Maybe I do give them to much credit maybe I don't dive them enough credit.

However since we've both aired our opinions by making sweeping generalizations about 13/14 year olds without a shred of evidence to substantiate our claims other then hearsay and conjecture, I'd say we're both in the same boat just at opposing ends. Thus pointing out the flaws in each other's logic is really the same as shooting holes in the aforementioned boat, we'd both end up sinking into a sea of animosity and I for one have no intention of doing so tonight.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do we have any lifeboats on board?

20. A Lance

Yes, yes there is. But you do realize it would involve having to snuggle up with me for days or weeks until we're rescued?