Kid friendly DOTM toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've just been wondering, what figures in the Dark Of The Moon line do you guys think would be fun for kids below 10? Of course, we know the toys are meant for kids in the first place, but I think a lot of figures nowadays are a tad too complicated and fragile for kids to play with.

What are the most solid, easy-to-transform, durable, kid-friendly toys out now?

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Laserbeak is pretty much all of those things, but I feel like he's not terribly kid-appeal-y.

Deluxe or Voyager Prime? I honestly have very few non-Cyberverse figures, and I feel like those aren't the best for kids.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cyberverse? Cheap, simple, and way more character variety along with play sets and stuff.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yep, all DOTM Primes are fun and easy to transform. Cyberverses should also be super fun for kids; quick transformations, playsets, and they look great to boot.

Some HA Basics are fun and simple too, and the human companion gimmick might appeal to some kids.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Deluxe Bee.

6. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

for kids below ten, i say stick with Cyberverse. Even Deluxes like Jolt and Crankcase will probably frustrate young ones and will be torned apart quickly if they want to play with them.

But i read Leader Ironhide is quite playable toy with an easy transformation and lots of gimmicks despite the size class.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're selling kids short. 4-5 year olds? Probably. 8-9? I think the DOTM deluxes are perfect. Hasbro did a really good job with balancing collector appeal and kid appeal with this line.

8. Soundwinder

I actually think Cyberverse is a bad choice for kids. The figures are smaller and less impressive, and the small weapons are easier to lose. Plus, given that they're sculpted with open hands, that key part is much more fragile.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    What about Leader Ironhide? I'm just asking because Zellers is apparently selling them for 15 bucks due to some sort of pricing fuckup, and he seems like more of a sturdy brick than most others.

10. Soundwinder

... you should buy that. Go. Just... go.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just about anything Cyberverse works. I think Ultimate Optimus could work too (it's not hard to transform, but not patronizingly simple either, clips into the trailer without trouble plus lights and sounds), though it is normally expensive.

12. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    W/O having even opened it, i would've thought Leader Ironhide would be fairly popular with kids a little below the 10 years age group?

Big, not too complex, and hopefully fairly sturdy(?)

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't think 10-year-olds should have ANY problems with any current retail figures, ranging anywhere from Deluxe to Leader.

If they do, then I don't think the issue is with the toys.

14. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This. I would get Cyberverse for kids because of three main reasons:
    • simple transformations
    • wide variety of characters
    • bases/playsets

15. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    You've probably seen a few stories floating around the board about kids having trouble with some ROTF toys.

I'd rather have more complex toys myself...but if kids keep having trouble with them, they'll look elsewhere. So Hasbro have to yield a little on that one.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we can give an exception to Leader Sentinel Prime, though. Even when you know exactly what you're doing, the toy can be legitimately frustrating to transform at times.

17. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

My 4.5-year old son enjoys playing with Laserbeak. He calls it his "bird jet."

18. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Dark Steel.:) 

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Guzzle and Hatchet have a good mix of kid appeal and durability. Skyhammer is OK for an older kid but a younger one would get confused by the weird Transformation perhaps.

DOTM are not as kid friendly as something like say Universe Hound or Cyclonus is.

I would say Dlx Prime is OK, Ratchet's fairly durable, Nitro Bumblebee is OK but the way he can't hold anything much in his hands is a bit lame.

In all honesty though most DOTM toys have something wrong with them. You might find some worth in the HA Basics but they suffer from the massage of parts issue sometimes.

If you made me pick one I'd say Cyberfire Bumblebee as he's got a terrific paint job. Voyager Sentinel Prime is OK if a bit boring.

But some of the exclusive repaint are OK too like Scanning Ratchet or Ironhide, Target Jazz, Rally (sidearm) Sideswipe.

It's hard for me to recommend Starscream simply as he comes across like there is something wrong with him as his wings don't sit right.

AVOID : Jolt, Skids & Mudflap.

20. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

i'm not saying they can't transform or enjoy them, just saying cyberverse is a better choice for them overall with cheaper price, many character choices and sturdiness of the figures. even i'm afraid of my Crankcase's dreads will just fall off when i twist his head or fitting them back into the car mode. and i dare not to tansform Leader Sentinel for the 3rd time even though i frequently and easily transform notorious Rotf Leader Prime.