Kickback's Transformers Animated Thoughts/Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Kickback, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    So.

It should be obvious that I've been waiting for this for nearly a year now, after the very first images leaked out and more details leaked out. I knew that as soon as I heard the theme song, I would love the show, as for whatever reason the theme song seems to go along with how the show does for me (RID = Meh, Armada = Great, Energon = Horrible, Cybertron = OK).

But now we finally got to see everything in action. Let me first start off by giving a huge congratulations to the guys involved in the production at Cartoon Network and to my home slice Eric Siebenaler of Hasbro for putting together something that was more than just an entertaining hour and a half of television, but for bringing back the magic of the Transformers that seems to have been lost for well over 10 years (save this year's movie). For nearly a decade now we've been force-fed translated Japanese storytelling, so much that no one really cares much for the toys because no one really cares much for the characters.

I also want to give huge props to Tom Kenny. Wow, sir, I bow down to you. Filling the shoes of the fan-created-legendary-staus of Chris Latta is not an easy thing to do, but you did it with spades. Not only did you channel Latta, but you even took the time to see how he pronunciated certain words (Autobot, Megatron, etc.) ... and you nailed it. You took what was familiar with the character (a raspy voice to go along with his raspy personality) and managed to make it your own at the same time. You've now become a favorite, and I hope we'll be seeing you at a BotCon sometime in the future.

Now to the show.

Yes, the animation style takes a little bit of time getting used to. But hey, Transformers is all about change, so I don't see the problem with having the animation change now and then to keep things fresh. There were a lot of things that I enjoyed - the colors and backgrounds were really well done, and there were a few points of animation where you can tell extra amounts of effort went in to it (Starscream vs. the human piloted jets). Overall, the show itself is a very high 9 out of 10.

The characters:

Optimus Prime
    - It will take time getting used to the younger sounding Prime, especially when everytime he grunts I expect to see Beast Wars Megatron's face in the background somewhere. David Kaye did an excellent job though, and the character is easily going to be a favorite. I especially like the wrap up of the "hero" storyline ... "So this is what it feels like to be a hero..."

Ratchet
    - Did anyone else notice when he shouted "Come here, fly boy!" to Starscream, he sounded just like one of the (there was 2) voice actors for G1 Ratchet (the guy who also did Handy Smurf, or whatever!). After I made the connection, I could sense that it's almost like an aged G1 Ratchet voice. Very nice.

Bulkhead
    - Also a nice touch. Kind of that "tough guy, but I don't want to be" persona. His interaction with Bumblebee and Prowl are great. Look forward to more Bulkhead stories.

Bumblebee
    - Easily the second best character to Starscream. The humor, the witty remarks, the taking of Rattrap's persona but mixed with a Cheetor/Hot Shot/Bumblebee feeling works really, really well. You could almost feel the bond between him and Sari as the show continued on.

Megatron
    - Too early to tell.

Starscream
    - The best of the best. Everything I've wanted in Starscream since the days of G1 mixed with Armada.

Lugnut
    - Meh.

Black Arachnia
    - You're not Venus. Stop trying so hard to be Venus.

Blitzwing
    - Oh how I cannot wait to hear more of this guy.

Some details that we all heard, and some we didn't:

1) G1 Transformation sound! Except in the traditional "anime" transform scenes. Was backwards then.
    2) Megatron's fusion cannon sound is back from G1.
    3) Starscream's laser blasts have the "double pulse"/Decepticon sound effect from G1, just at a much lower pitch. Listen again as he fires his weapon.

Overall, everything I expected and more. The humor works great. Can't wait to see how this show progresses. And I can't wait for more Decepticons!

2. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    At one point I heard the sound effect from Ghost Busters Proton Pack.

Actually lots of sound effects from movies. :popcorn 

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the sounds are a large part in why I actually enjoyed this so much. I knew I was going to like this before I saw it, even though I really could care less about the art-style being used. I doubt I really get any toys from this line (well, I'll obviously get the seekers), but I will definitely be watching this show.

Tom Kenny = WIN

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh shit my bells be ringing now, that was handy.

heheh, handy smurf, thats funny.

5. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

QFT! My brother would say the same thing if he knew what QFT meant. That one sequence of cold-face/hot-head/complete-nutjob had him in stitches. He also like Prime's reaction to Sari's answer to his question about the 'smaller organics'.

I eagerly anticipate the rest of the series (hopefully FansOfTransformers will upload it like he did with the premiere, which is how I was able to watch the slaggin' thing despite being in Australia)!

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amen, brother

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Can't wait to dl this thing and see for myself. Come on 7 hours are suddenly not so short a time span.

8. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I agree with pretty much everything you've said Kickback. BB's character is awesome, love how he and the rest of the Autobots are so oblivious to most things on Earth. Breathing moment was great lol And though it was sappy the crying concept and bringing it back in the end was kinda nice.

One thing though, I would like to see a limit on the Allspark's power. If Sari can just run around on the battlefield healing all the bots, 1. Rachet won't have a job anymore, 2. The bots will be way too overpowered even though the Decepticons are apparently stronger, etc.

Blitzwing is awesome, love the second accent he has on when he swapped his head at the beginning lol

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Can wait to see it :) 

10. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    I liked it so much Sari didn't even bother me which is unusual as the humans generally annoy me to tears.
    So happy to have a TF cartoon I want to watch.

11. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    OMG,I don't even know where to begin.

1)G1 TFing noise=WIN
    2)G1 Megatron Fusion Cannon noise=WIN
    3)Tom Kenny's Screamer voice=FULL OF UBER WIN!!!!!!!(Can not wait to meet you sir!)

There was so much win in this new series that I cannot list it all here.

The whole Optimus' "So this is what it feels like to be a hero...." line made me really sad,it brought back memories of G1 Optimus dying in the G1 movie.

All in all these 3 episodes get a 9/10.

Oh yea before I forget,Bumblebee is great and all but I don't really dig his voice all that much,my fav line's from him was:
    BB:Hi I'm Bumblebee
    Sari:Hi I'm Sari
    BB:Oh don't be,I like my name.

That had me in stitches.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really loved the writing.
    The story line was awesome -there was just the right mix of self contained episodes along with hints of past storylines and foreshadowing of future events.

I have no problem with the story at all. It was a better beginning than I expected.

The animation was another issue. I have been a fan of this style of animation since Teen Titans but I just don't think it is very well suited for Transformers. People have compared the animation to Justice League and Ben 10 but this animation is way more wacky than either of those shows.

Just when I got used to the new look for the robots they would turn into vehicles which was fine until they would talk and be all wavy and distorted as they spoke. I really could not stand to see it. My hope is that the animators use that technique less (or not at all) as the show moves forward.

The human characters were a little too bizarre for my tastes, too. Well, I take that back. I can handle all the human designs except for the ones that had the corpse eyes -you know, the round white circles with no pupils. It was most disturbing on the baby who was apparently a member of the Soviet Communist Party based on his hat.

How awesome of a job did he do? I can picture him reading any of Chris Latta's lines. I really hope they work in "Oh, how it pains me to do this."

All of the VAs did a good job, but Starscream gave me chills.

Finally, I will never get used to hearing Peter Cullen announce Transformers is on during the bumpers and then not be a part of the actual show. Never.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    In regards to sound effects from other movies, during the City battle, when Starscream first transforms and lands, I'm pretty sure I heard the Star Wars Podracer engine 'whup whup whup' sound effect.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Was it Handy Smurf? Ever since I got my G1 DVDs I knew Ratchet had a Smurf's voice, but I had thought it was Papa. Good to know for sure.

15. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

LOL. I keep getting "Lugnut" and "Bulkhead" mixed up. Wow, go me.

Anyway... I agree with your review. LOVED Tom Kenny as Starscream. And you know what, with Ratchet, I thought the same thing. I did hear a similarity to the G1 voice. I thought I was just hearing things.

16. Big Prime

Big Prime New Member

Not to mention all the little things that tied back to the original show and marvel g1 comic. Looks like they got it right this time.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

watched half of it and i gotta say, way better than the A/E/C cartoons....way better.

i'll actually make it a point to try and watch it now.

Good job on the change, for the better :D 

18. DataCable

DataCable Bumbleholic

G1 Ratchet was voiced by Don Messick, who did also voice Papa Smurf (as well as the original Scooby Doo and several kajillion other classic cartoon characters.) Handy Smurf was voiced by Michael Bell, but I don't recall him ever voicing G1 Ratchet. Mebbe Kickback was confusing his Smurfs.

IMDb lists voice director Wally Burr as voicing Ratchet in S2's "Masquerade," uncredited, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

19. MF MooN

MF MooN Member

Was anyone impressed with the music? The first song right after the crew discovers the Allspark surprised me and whatever followed during the show. I thought there was going to be just cheezy songs.

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I would love for a downloadable soundtrack of this show. Some of the music. Did anyone catch the Transformers theme song but in an orchestrated sense when the Autobots all transform in front of the humans for the first time?

You can't tell what the song is until Bumblebee's transformation, but then it's awesome.