Kick-Ass

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Deefuzz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So who is reading this?

I picked up issue #3 on a recommendation Hulk made in another thread, and I must say I think it is fantastic!

I never had heard of the book before, when I saw Millar and Romita Jr's names on the cover in the store I thought to myself "nice".

The book was full of laughs and "oh shit" moments, it was a real nice balance. Definitely something out there that I wasn't expecting and a refreshing change of pace from other comic books out there.

My buddy is actually picking up the first two issues that I missed for me today (his shop has months of backstock) so I can be filled in on the entire story so far.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Yeah, its a great book. I only got about half way thru issue 3 last night, it was a rough night at work.

As a kid, who didn't think about being a superhero? I know it crossed my mind at least once. This book shows you what would have happened :lol 

3. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's Mark Millar doing Mark Millar work. Pretty decent for that.

4. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

this book is called kick-ass?

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Yep, thats the name. Read the first issue but haven't been to the comic shop in a while so I haven't gotten any more.

6. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

i was loving it right up untill the end of issue 3,i wont mention anything incase it spoils it for anyone, but the bit with the big dudes head was friggin stupid.I'll carry on buying it tho as i liked most of it. Also Kick-ass is a terrible superhero name

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Got the first issue and thought it was fantastic, but it didn't...grab me. You know? Great, but somehow missing something. So between that and the current length of my reserve list (damn TF movie stuff), I'm probably gonna wait for the trade before reading anymore.

8. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

I read the first issue and I hated it. I know I'm in the minority but I thought it was stupid and the structure was terrible and I couldn't even try to give it at least a full arc.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I was hooked right away. I wasn't going to get it and actually on the way home the day issue 1 came out, I stopped by another shop and got a copy. Read it and loved it.

I'm a huge fan of realistic books. Superheroes are great but what about more realistic based ideas? That's what appeals as a great book.

10. monkeydluffy

the realism aspect seems to disappear at the end of issue 3 tho. i dont buy a small girl weilding a katana

11. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I love it.

"I'm the guy with the starter cables on my balls"

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Read a friend's copies of all 3 issues, and my God next chance I get I'm picking these up.

Best.Comic.Evar.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I disagree, she is probably a teenager like the main character, maybe she learned martial arts from an early age.

I've followed some of Millar's work, and have definitely been following this series, and I actually learned about it just a short while before it came out. I'm glad I bought it. The story is great and the dialogue is hilarious. The 3rd issue becomes completely random towards the end, you will literally be like "what the fuck?!.....".

I would not mind buying a Marvel Legends figure of the main character.

14. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I second that. :D 

Gotta love Kick-Ass.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I third it.

16. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

A part of the reason people think that the sword-weilder is a kid is just going by the solicitation for next issue:

Since Millar and maybe Romita Jr own Kick-Ass you probably won't see it in Hasbro Marvel Legends... But considering Millar's talking about movie deals and stuff like that it wouldn't surprise me if a figure will be made somewhere down the line.

17. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movie deals? Hey, maybe then it could be like Wanted and have almost nothing to do with the source material.

18. monkeydluffy

Yeah as mentioned above it was the fact that it mentions she is nine that bugged me. It was mainly the part where she sliced through the guys head. I just figured that it would take quite a bit of power to slice through a skull, but having never done so myself i wouldnt know.
    I just dont really want her to be Kick ass' sidekick like it looks like she might.
    I wonder if the film will be as violent. If so i cant see it doing too well.
    Even tho i'm sounding a bit negative i do love this comic. Theres only the new deadpool comic in september that i'm looking forward to as much as issues of this

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just being anal, but a decent katana can decapitate. and heads aren't as tough as ya think.
    they're like Klondike Bars...break the chocolate coating and all that is left is creamy goodness...

awkward....
    didn't DC or Marvel do something like this a few years back where they took ordinary slobs and put them in the capes and cowls of the big leaguers? like a fat fanboy became batman?
    i love the concept of reality blending that way.

and it is seen in lots of films (even old ones) that at first glance you don't notice.
    and kick-ass as a superhero name? dayum. better have the rocks to back it up, lol.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Picked up the director's cut of issue 1 today (still need to find a copy of issue 2, but I digress).

The included script is a fun read, gives a nice insight into what goes into scripting a comic and how things are planned out. Also, just a note, the script contains some spoiler-ish info in it, so if you want to avoid that, I'd suggest not reading it. The art is another nice little bonus.

If you already have the issue, not sure if I'd say it is worth picking it up a second time at a higher price. However if you didn't I'd say go for it.