Kiara had a weird episode have any of you with children had the same

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Ok my little one is 2 and half or so. We have a new baby in house and it has thrown her off a little which is to be expected . but tonight she started crying in her room after she had fallen asleep. i ran in there and she was sitting up crying, mumbling and would not wake up or react to us. a couple minutes later she was out again. Im very scared

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Could be night terrors, my little sister had them forever. Nearly sleepwalking in a way, but just this manic fit of mumbling and haste until she would finally wake up and realize that yeah, nothing was up.

Bizarre and frightening to watch at first, but once you realize it's just their brain doing funny stuff - kinda get a giggle out of watching. Although my sister never stuffed any couch pillows in any ovens ;) 

3. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

It's night terrors. My oldest never had them, I had them and my youngest (who shares my birthday oddly enough) has them... Don't be scared but do get used to it, some children NEVER grow out of them.

4. Rumble02

any advice on what you do for them. should i rush her to the doctor?

5. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    No need to rush. Schedule an appointment with your gp/family doctor and she might need to go in for some tests to make sure it's nothing worse, but it's mostly a harmless affliction (assuming it's night terrors - which is also a name which sounds a lot worse than it really is) that'll make her tired in the morning - so have lots of patience. GW is right, you're probably just going to have to get used to it. My sisters never went away either.

6. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

No, nothing the doctor can do.

Night Terrors are a combination Nightmare and sleep walking. It's possible she doesn't and won't remember them. They will scare the bejeezus outta you though...

7. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
  8. Rumble02

is normal for it to take place all night long? anything i can do? is she hurting?

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Like I said it's very possible she doesn't even remember it happening. There isn't any pain.

10. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I used to sleepwalk as a kid. One time in particular, I dreamt I was being chased by some monsters, I awoke outside my house, in the back yard.

11. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Had a couple similar episodes with my 3y old. Scared the hell out of me. Usually he just laughs while asleep, which also scares me but is not so terrifying. I wonder what's he dreaming about...

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's just dreaming, while the body's half awake. It's no more hamful than just dreaming.
    Can look creepy though, like a zombie baby speaking in tongues or something

You could record some video of it, then when she's older you can show her all the silly things she did as a baby.

I hope your 2 & a half year old's taking to the new baby well, it's awesome they're so close in age

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

*que kira's theme*Eliminating all the scum on the earth and then when the world is populated only by those he deems just he will be the "God" of the new world...

14. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

My brother used to do this up until he was 10--he would just freak out & cry at everything, until my mom would come up to talk to him. Then she just got fed up with it and basically made him tough it out, which wouldn't be so bad except we shared a room so you can imagine how much sleep I got.

It's nothing you need to rush to the ER for, but just monitor it and let your kid know everything's all right.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    i was gonna say she was possesed by the devil and we need an excorsist but let's go with Night Terror or something has your daughter watched any scary films in the last couple of weeks......

16. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

While horror films MAY cause Nightmares, they won't cause the jump from simple REM sleep to Night Terrors. Horror films, however, aren't really the things nightmares are made of.

17. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

One of my colleagues has a son of 13, who has sleepwalked as long as he has been able to walk. Apparently he will go into his parents' room at night and have an almost normal conversation (eyes open), then walk back to bed and remember nothing of it in the morning. Must be freaky, but it's not a treatable condition, or causing him any harm.

Personally I'd take the child to the doctor anyway just to be certain, and on the safe side.

18. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My both of my sons also had them. If your concerned definitely schedule an appointment with their pediatrician.

What worked for us was to rock them gently and talk to them in a calm soothing reassuring voice.

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I did quite a bit of Sleepwalking when I was a kid, but fortunately no Night Terrors.

Just hearing the descriptions makes me see that it could scare the hell out of anyone experiencing it for the first time. (and probably quite a few times after as well.)

Hopefully your daughter will snap out of it, outgrow it (whatever the term is for this) and have peaceful sleep once again.

Being a Sleepwalker, I too can tell you I remember nothing of it. My parents make sure to remind me of the time I came out of my room trying to be a Power Ranger. I ended up knocking the Coffeemaker off the counter.