KFCToys E.A.V.I. Metal Phase 9A: Stratotanker (Octane)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Make 'em for MP36's back, first!

2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    true that.

3. ibot

ibot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its going to have colored image in late May. Those skeleton back of the plane was corrected with real jet window details .so no need shapeways , lol.

We will get the color correct like toon .

• Like Like x 12
  4. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Hmm sounds like some kind of silver paint or toon grey but chrome would be pretty awesome as a limited edition.;) 

I imagine the mold has to be modified for chrome tolerances

Something about a a real tanker or unpainted shinny plane really is appealing. I'd display it at work and keep the toon version at home.

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure I ever saw him as shiny chrome. And honestly, an unpainted cargo plain or tanker is rarely that kind of gleaming shiny look. It's more of a brushed metal look - think Apollyon/Mightron/Despotron rather than full on gleaming chrome.
    I guess it's like the difference between the actual chrome parts versus the metallic silver on the "X" versions of the FT dinos?
    For me, I don't think I want even that level of silver. With MP-36 having such a nice semi-metallic grey colour, I can see a similar pearlescent lighter grey on this guy? Or just plain painted white or very pale grey.
    Military cargo planes are grey or camo, while civilian cargo planes (which this most likely is) tend to be painted white or very pale grey, similar to passenger planes, with the corporate livery on top. It seems uncommon outside of American Airlines for planes to be unpainted metal.
    And even tanker's tend to be at least evenly split between unpainted metal and painted.
    Can't remember what it was like in the 80's of course.
    For a limited edition though... I guess chrome could work? Wouldn't appeal to me personally and would stand out on the MP shelf pretty badly, but some might like it.
    Hmmn, to be honest I hadn't given much though to this guy's deco yet. He's been so far down the line and I barely even remember him from the cartoon. I guess a brushed silver could maybe work... you got me thinking now.

7. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Toy was chrome so that's where my comment came from
    Also I've seen many tankers that are polished metal and if the tanker is chrome some of the plane would have to be. Just thought it would be neat as a limited one once the mold is to be retired.

2.jpg

download (3).jpg

American-Airlines-737-800.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stygian360

Three little but important words.... NO -- CHROME -- PLEASE. I really don't care if the original toy had chrome. The original toy was also very limited in both aesthetic and engineering and I don't want that... and like that I also don't want chrome. It tends to cheapen the whole affair and although it does have its place, this figure isn't that. Thank you, that is all. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Slightly? Quick Google search and Maz's pic shows it's a little more than that lol

4kczu8.jpg

He makes mp Soundwave look insignificant, nevermind the even smaller MP seekers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm aware, I have them on a shelf together here and I generally like how they scale.

I want to ensure the triple changers scale well with each other first, and then with everything else. imho it would look better to at least have all triplechangers of generally the same size, than to have just one that's larger than the rest of the entire lineup.

+1
    I had the G1 toy when i was a kid and that's probably part of the reason I am so anti-chrome on Masterpiece figures. That thing tarnished and wore in a bad, bad way, just from general handling. Not to mention, entire panels of chrome is just asking for QC challenges. Scuffing, pinpoints, bubbles, etc.

11. Stygian360

Thank you--^ I couldn't agree more.

12. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    The original g1 toy of Octane didn't exactly blow my socks off. I hope today's 3P MP version will.

13. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm looking forward to Stratotanker. I could not get into Provider, what with the truck mode joined trailer and wheels on the engines for plane mode. Strato has a better truck mode, and there is a charm to the more G1 plane mode.

14. davidsix

davidsix Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Are you doing another version of Ditka with correct toon colors? Lighter sand color and purple a little darker?

15. engrpedro

engrpedro Well-Known Member

Like what nighthawkblack suggested - make a limited chrome edition for those who prefer this as an option.

To each his own.

16. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hah. You know, I get caught out by that every single time. I had almost no interest in the toy's growing up. I think the only TF toys I had as a kid where a battered old Wheeljack I "inherited" from a friend and Perceptor (and for the life of me, I still can't work out what possessed my parents to buy G1 Perceptor for me as a toy! They were normally pretty good about that sort of thing.) However as a result I have zero interest in toy homages, and I tend to prefer my MP's to veer more towards toon and away from toy (my issue with Takara is not so much the overall concept of "toon influence" it's the lack of the extra little details that MP's always had, wherever they happened to come from. It's TOO much toon influence)
    Needless to say, I don't really see much value personally in a chrome version. To have the entirety of the plane body or tanker trailer in Chrome would probably mean a lot of chrome on the bot mode as well, which would be pretty glaring. Not to mention fingerprints, scratches, chrome wear. Maybe a limited edition, but it kind of feels like Octane is a 3rd or 4th tier character who is going to struggle to sell a lot of even a primary deco. I suspect it would be a struggle to get enough sales to support a limited chrome edition.
    But hey, if enough people want it, and we still get a proper non-chromed version... go nuts KFC!! Chrome the bejeezes out of that sucker.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Or just include optional chrome parts in the box like Badcube did with Sunsurge. Boom. Problem solved.;) 

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And jack the price tag up by like, $20? Eh.

19. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

I feel like those massive wings need to hinge and fold in a bit to make them more manageable in bot mode. I know he had a big wingy backpack, but this is a bit ridiculous.

20. engrpedro

engrpedro Well-Known Member

Agree. Better to have like how FT have X version Dibots, and some colour variation I am not familiar of.

• Like Like x 1