Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Team Jetfire, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bryan must have no life whatsoever. He doesn't work at the store, he just hangs out there all day. Show is pretty fake though. Notice there is no one ever in the store except for scene changes? Just like Pawnstars, they close down the store and only let the sellers in. And some guy who owns a Batmobile allows total strangers to drive it around? Would have taught him a lesson if Ming was the worst driver ever and crashed it.

I have heard about this store for several years. It doesn't quite live up to what I was thinking in my mind. It is a tiny little place wedged between other stores. In my mind I pictured it as its own separate building & decently sized due to Kevin Smith's involvement.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, here's to it picking up in the future, especially since I'm really failing to understand Supernatural's scheduling which airs at the same time, but randomly inserts older episodes every 2 or 3 weeks. If nothing else, maybe they'll do what Pawn Stars won't & show interesting shit involving buyers too? Like, not just haggling, but tweeked out nerds freaking the fuck out over shit & then being driven away by their mothers. If they were to rag on people like that, then I'd totally get behind it.

Also, lol@ Ming being the one to crash the Batmobile.

3. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

More people need to watch the show.

Too much cynicism. There are far worse shows on television.

I want to see more people on the show from View Askew.

Brian O'Halloran/ Dante Hicks

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Agreed. More people need to watch this show and put two & two together when they see my neckbeard buying transformers at TRU.

Seriously though, I really am hopeful for this in the future. I just find it hard to argue with what's been posted in here because in all fairness, it's pretty spot on to what my own thoughts were, be it in a more expressive fashion.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is how I feel exactly. I'm certainly free to evaluate only what's in front of me. In order to become a fan of this show, I shouldn't have to go back and listen all of the podcasts or anything else first. It is what it is. I don't like it, and I even admit my own biases when evaluating it (I don't really view the "comic book community" as "great"). Also, . . . .

Yes, there are certainly far worse shows on tv, and I don't watch those either. My remote has a tendency to stop on AMC, since I avidly watch Mad Men, Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, and the Killing. While each of those shows certainly have their faults, they are well-made shows.

I will say that I did enjoy "Jay" showing up. I'm just not going to stick around for more of that either. My tv schedule is already full up (see above) in addition to Justified and American Horror Story. I watch TF: Prime and Rescue Bots, too, but mainly because I'm a Transformers fan.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    The commercial ep was actually pretty good IMO.

I feel like they should just drop the who buying comics angle and focus on in store shenanigans.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Comming in late on this but,,,

See I kinda like this show, and here's an odd thing MY WIFE DOES TOO!

This is how all comic shops used to be, back before "the great expansion" of the 90's when there was a comic shop in every mall.

Yes the owners were usually ellitist, frustrated former literary/art majors who never wrote the Great American Novel. On the other hand they were ALWAYS interested in some obscure trivia and you could have some facinating conversations about all sorts of stuff. Where as your average co-worker probably talks about the stuff they saw on Entertainment Tonight or a mag in the checkout line.

There's always one NOOB. (Ming) Nothing to do with race, it's usually some kid who's "new to the whole thing" and gets picked on for it. It's the kid who talks about the greatness of Power Rangers but was too young for Godzilla or Voltron.

And I swear every good shop has a (Bryan), I don't know what they do for a living, or why they hang out there (some say a recovering Alcoholic who in his 40's needed a place besides a bar to go to between work and home).

So if it was a "casted" show, Kevin did a good job.

As for what comics are going for these days? Well everyone knows what an Overstreet Price Guide is, but apparently few people know what "MINT" means. Those were some fairly poor condition comics from what I could see. And the days of Dot.com instant millionares looking to pick up a piece of their child hood are long gone. If you want some of the older stories, people these days wait for a TP or reprint, or even go online where a lot of old stories have been summerized. So demand for the physical books is WAY down.

Unless a book is insanely rare (1st appearance of Wonder Woman) if you can get $20 for a book it's a good thing. Most collectables right now are limited by what people can afford to buy, I've got a weeks worth of NEW books being held for me at my shop right now because between the rent and the bills I can't afford them untill next payday. So I'm certainly not going to try to pick up the 1st appearance of Mr. Sinister right now. And a comic shop is going to have to sit on a book like that untill they can find a buyer.

One last thing, just the other week I placed an order over the phone for a hold. (I'm a truck driver, I can be out for 5-10 days at a time) and it struck me that my local comic shop has better customer service than 90% of the truck stops I've been to, 85% of all the fast food places I've been to, and most of the retail stores I've gone to. There's something to be said for a place where "everybody knows your (screen)name".

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well said, and I can totally relate to that with some of the hobby shops I've spent time in, one of which being the place I play Yugioh at on Sundays. Also, these guys seem to have gotten the message about how being dickbags is bad for business, at least when it comes to what's gone down so far.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Man has anyone see some of those REALLY expensive comics that came in,WOW.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, and it still amazes me how much this stuff can realistically go for, but I guess it's really no different from the high end shit that people can sell for the price of houses & whatnot.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ok, so I was a bit forced to watch this show again since my DVR missed The Walking Dead for the second week in a row (I had to catch the encore this time around), and I have to say that there was a glimmer of redemption for these guys and this show. Mr. Beaverface showed his human side a bit more as a dealer when the collector came in with the Joe B. Silver Surfer artwork. While he still bartered with the collector, he didn't just outright try to get a steal - the same for the female collector who came in.

I still don't like the show enough to watch it on a regular basis, but I'll make fun of it less :) 

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Those were some sweet comics that the lady bought,but $1600 ....yowch!!!! I'd be afraid to take them out and open them up.Who carries around $1600 in cash?

So that Silver Surfer artwork that Walt bought,was that for the store,or for him personally? That's a lot of coin to drop for a guy that works at a comic book store.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    ..and made a TV show about it. :) 

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't wait for this coming sunday. Anyone looking forward to the show coming up this weekend on sunday.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm looking forward to missing out :) 

I'm glad you like it and are excited about it, though.

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Not gonna lie here. When I saw that this thread had a new post, I immediately looked at the clock, noticed that it was after 3 am, and then thought for a second that it was sunday & that I'd missed The Walking Dead.

... but then I realized that Walking Dead airs like 10 times to ensure that people can't miss it all together, and then that it was only Friday. In that order.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Aw! *gushes* :) 

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    ... and of course given when my post was made, the fact that the 2nd line makes no sense & that it took me like 3 reads to realize that I didn't write that shit to begin with are both perfectly canon. Sleep well, TFW

(and Comic Book Men)

19. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority here,but I actually look forward to this show.Not at all for the guys on the show,but just to see what cool stuff is going to come into the store.

I love seeing all these old comic books.It makes me want to go downstairs and dig through my collection from when I was a kid to see what I have.

20. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I am. :D 

More old comics or Transformers. Dig through your collection and post them here. :thumbs2: 

I wish they could have gone through her comic box.

I'm not sure. I think it was for the store.

Things like that needs to be in the comic book museum.