Kentucky Meet-up

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Weirdwolf, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking of maybe trying to get the ball rolling on a Kentucky meetup/swapmeet. I'm looking at maybe either the first or second Saturday in December, or maybe even early January. I'm open to suggestions as to where we could meet up, preferably somewhere central that is somewhat easy to get to for all or most of us.

Activities would involve buy/sell/trade, a group TF hunt if the meet city could accommodate it, possibly a lunch/dinner and general talking TF's.

Let's see what we can get going here, a KY TF meetup is long overdue! If we can maybe PM as many TFW2005 KY members and direct them to this thread (if they haven't noticed already), to more the merrier!

Suggestions welcome.

WW

2. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally speaking, I'd attend one in KY, unless it was out at one of the far-reaching corners. Not sure if December is a good date for me (with holiday season and all), but I don't have plans on those days yet.

3. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

How about Lexinton, that is the most central part of the state?

4. Weirdwolf

I was thinking of Lexington or Frankfort, although Lexington would probably be the better choice due to the number of stores we could hunt at; TRU, several Walmarts, a couple Targets and Meijer's, even a couple Khol's. I'm not entirely sure about Frankfort, I've only been there a handful of times.

5. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well, not just because I live there or anything.....but I think Louisville is actually more centered horozontally speaking. Were almost dead center. Plus, alot of the indiana guys could get here too. We also have a whole lot of Meijers, Wal-marts , etc. Not just here but across the river in Clarksville/Jeffersonville.
    By my best estimate, in a 25 mile radius of here, we have 13 Wal-marts, 5 Meijers, and 5 Targets. I'm pretty confident that no place in the state has more. I bet Cincy doesn't have more than we do.

So Louisville has my vote.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Even though I live in Lexington, I would have to agree with this. Well, most of it. Sure, Louisville is in the center horizontally, but not vertically. It's not even close population wise. If you factor in the population centers, Lexington is more central. There isn't much out west.

7. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    We have talked several times about doing this. I have even stated I would help host and get exclusives together for the event. The interest just was not there. I am still interested but would need a commitment from others. I think we even had a name for it "BluegrassCon" or "KentuckiCon". I would need some help folks....
    Oh and take it from someone who lives very close to Cincy, Louisville or even Lexington would be better. My first pick would be Louisville.

8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, Louisville would be much easier. But I'm not a Kentuckian, so I kinda have no say ;-)

9. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    True, but you can't beat our selection of stores. Although, we will only have 12 Wal-marts now. They're closing one. No matter, it's a shit-hole! lol

10. megamus

News Credits:
    Here we go again!!! Someone brings up the idea of a meetup and gets my hopes up then....
    Nothing... Can we please get together on something?

11. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Ok then, what would we be doing at this meet up? I'm guessing it would not be a convention type thing with dealers, so we wouldn't need to book a convention center. Where would we actually get together for this meet-up?

12. megamus

News Credits:
    Well, usually at meetups there would be trading, buying, selling, and generally getting together and talking about Transformers.

13. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What these things needs to get off the ground is for someone to say "I'll do it." When it's a bunch of people saying "Yeah that'd be cool!" (like it is now), nothing will happen. Someone has to decide they're going to organize it. They figure out a good spot, talk to people to find out when and where works well, listens to ideas, then set the date and place.

A friend organized one in Knoxville a couple of times several years back, he found a comic book store that had a big back room, he and some local buddies hauled in tables, he had a projector, and we put on Transformer cartoons while sifting through each other's "for sale" bins and just in general shooting the shit. Made some good friends that way :D 

But unless someone decides to spear head the endeavor, this thread (and I"m sure there are others like this too) will always just be speculation. Most of us have work and families and all that, so it's hard to find someone willing to commit the time to get the needed information, do all the set up and prep work, get the supplies (tables, projector, etc) that may be needed, find the place, and (and this is VERY important) - hound the living crap out of people to come. Advertise in every forum known to man, put up some local flyers at comic shops or such. The first one we had in Knoxville had about 20 people or so. The second one, he just left it "word of mouth", and had like 5-7 (he didn't have as much time).

14. megamus

News Credits:
    Well I offered to help but was wanting someone in the area to find a place. I figured we could get pizza or something. If we were going to plan ahead we could collect money for pizza. I am setup to accept payment if that would help. I do not have tables so if someone had those that would definately help. Does anyone in either the Louisville or Lexington area know of a place? Give me some suggestions and I'll take the time to try to organize it.

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    My post a couple up from here was my starting the "spear head". I was trying to find out what you guys wanted to do, then I was gonna get started on it.

Let's start with a date and location. We'll put it far enough out that people can plan. Let's say February? Since I will be doing the leg work of putting it together, we'll do it in Lexington. Louisville may be better because of all the retail locations, but I don't live there. Unless someone in Louisville wants to head this up...

So if everyone will let me know what Saturday in February will be good, we'll start there. If you are free any and every Saturday, just say so. I'd also like to put together a list of everyone that would like to come. As for Pizza, we don't need to collect ahead of time. Just order it when everyone shows up. :p  They don't need a massive amount of lead time on a couple of pies.

16. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can do Lexington, and I'm currently free any weekend in February. If the city is nailed down, then a local can see about finding a spot we can hang out (like I said earlier, comic shop let us set up for free in Knoxville, probably hoping some of the attendees would purchase comics and such while there).

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I would be that local. I guess we need a role call. Anyone that is willing to meet up, post in this thread saying so. I need to know how many people will show so I know how big of a place to plan. I'll start a list in this post and edit it as more people sign up.

Insane Galvatron
    Weirdwolf
    xZAOx
    Blue Death
    Megamus
    TaterX
    Galvatro
    Admiral Thrawn
    MikeTSI ( maybe )
    DeeJay

18. Weirdwolf

This is exactly why I didn't jump in and do it either. About the only stores I know the location of in Louisville are the Walmart and Target on Westport Road, and that's only because that's just down the street from where my sister used to up until a month ago. I'm all for a Louisville meetup too, but since I'm way more familiar with Lexington, I can assist Insane Galvy in getting something going.

I'm not sure if he's even still in business, or if he even remembers me, but getting in touch with Russ at A+ Comics may be a starting spot for getting together. It's an idea, anyway. Also, it's right off of Nicholasville Rd., which is pretty much the main drag when it comes to TF hunting as TRU, a Target, a Meijer, and a Walmart are just down the street.

I'm also good with February as a meetup. Financially it's shaping up like early Jan. won't be so smurfy for me, so Feb. would give me more time.

We need some good suggestions for getting some grub as well. :) 

19. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well im deffinitley up for doing this ive been wanting to meet some of the other local collectors anyways. Its about time we got something like this going.

20. megamus

News Credits:
    Well here is the bad news... Due to Botcon being in California I know I will not be setting up. The good news. I have a lot of new stuff to sell / trade. I am so up for a meetup. I also have something special in mind. If this meetup goes well I will have something special for the next meetup. We can get together periodically as some of the other areas do. Liokaiser has a meetup in Philly that is regularly held and has a great turn out. I think we can definately beat them in attendence. So how about it. Let's pick a time and date. Get together and have some fun.