Kenneth Branagh in talks to Direct Thor

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This I wasn't expecting at all. Remains to be seen how they'll handle this one...

3. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By Odin's beard!

Didn't see that one coming.
    Could be interesting.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow. I didn't even know he really directed until I IMDB'd him just now. If he's really a fan, I wish him the best of luck. ^_^

5. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I can totally see him doing it. Considering all those Shakespeare and other classicial literature movies he's done, doing a movie about a Norse god with a similar speech pattern should be a snap.

I just want a toy Mjolnir made by Nerf, with one of those retractable strings attached to the handle.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This. Will. Be. Awesome.

If true.

7. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Upon verily viewing the the thread this thought doth be the one that entered yon noggin o mine.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

This would actually be very interesting indeed if it is true.

And I still say Branagh would have been the better Obi-Wan for the prequels than McGregor.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Verily I wouldst agree with thee, except that Branagh was a little too old for the role. Ewan looks like he's in his mid-to-late 20's in Episode 1 which is right in line with the SW continuity. But even with age make-up FX, no way could they have pulled that off making Branagh look that age when he was in his 40's (around the time they were filming Episode 1) without it being kinda obvious that they used de-aging make-up FX on him.

It would be very interesting to see how Branagh would handle Thor. He's one of my favorite actors, and I've spent years studying his methods and techniques. I really admire his intensity and his skill with character and dialog.

And he has directed some of the best screen adaptations of a few of Shakespeare's masterworks. And I thought his vision for Frankenstein (1994) was excellent as well.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

If they can bring back Harrison Ford from the dead to reprise Indiana, then they would most certainly be able to make Branagh look younger for the role.

11. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

McGregor was one of the few great things about the prequels, and Branagh would have been far too old, even ten years ago.

That being said, he can direct, so this is very interesting news. His Henry V is still one of the best Shakespearean films out there.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Not even close to the same scenario. Considering how much time passed in the Indy-verse between "Raiders" and "Crystal Skull" (long enough for his lovechild to be in his mid-20's), they wouldn't have had to de-age him that much to pass for being in his 50's.

But making an actor whose already well into their 40's look like he's in his 20's? It's one thing to do it for a flashback scene, but for a movie series? I don't think so. You can only expect the audience to suspend their disbelief so far.

And that's also assuming Branagh would've even been accepting of the role. Rumor is that he was "considered" for the role. That doesn't mean he even auditioned or was even offered the part. I doubt he would've signed on for a 3-film deal for such a huge commercial franchise. It's just not his style.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I want to be pumped, but I just can't see how this is a viable property to make into a film.

If he pulls it off, though, I'll be there opening weekend.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Does anyone remember the last attempt at making Thor into a live-action hero?

YouTube - Hulk vs Thor

It didth not bode well.

15. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

[​IMG]

... Would like a word with you...

16. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ghaaa!

I've tried so hard to burn that episode from my head. Although both Hulk and Daredevil movies were improvements over their counterparts in the "The Incredible Hulk" series, so Odinson hath got a shot.

EDIT:
    Well, that was a one-off movie as far as Branagh was concerned, unless they show a cameo of him at St. Mungo's in HBP or DH. The role of Obi-Wan would have spanned three movies, instead of one, and he would have played a central character to the whole series.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008