Customs: Keeping things to scale

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thebigdb, Sep 25, 2012.

1. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Hey guys… I have another question for ya. I’m still working on a few of the guys that I have been working on, & I don’t have pictures yet… but I had a question about scaling. Or model scaling. I am working on making a masterpiece combiner, & I was wondering what would be the right scale choice for aircraft? I am assuming 48 or 72 scale. Most Alternator & Masterpiece cars around 25 scale. So roughly 8-8 ½ inches long. Since I will be doing limbs, I want to make sure that they are about the same size. I don’t care about things like tails & wings because you can always split/fold that up… but my main concern is the main body of the craft is about the same size as the other figures so body parts aren’t grossly out of whack. Can anyone help me out with this?

2. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I'm actually in the middle of a full scale tutorial so I've got some images on hand.
    If you're talking about working with the MP Seeker molds, you'll find they are very close to matching up with 1/48 scale aircraft.
    In the first image below, I have the F-15 Skywarp scaled up against a 1/48 Fighting Falcon (Dreadwind) which is slightly smaller as this type of jet is a fairly small aircraft. On the left, I have a 1/48 F-14 Tomcat which is a HUGE aircraft. In both cases, a direct re-shell is iffy but that doesn't mean the parts cannot be used.

Image two presents a 1/48 GNR4 Panavia Tornado (Darkwing) which is an exact match in size.

I'll have a complete tutorial with measurments up this weekend if you're interested.

Attached Files:

3. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Hey Kid!

Thanks for the post! That actually kind of helped! Just because of the fact that you brought it up, how does a 32 scale (aircraft) measure up against a 25 scale car? I’m not going to mess with the seekers, but seeing the kits next to 1 gives me a better idea of size.

What I have been working on for the last 2 weeks has been reshelling an Alternators Prowl with a 1:25 Chevy Impala mold. It almost fits the body type. The rear is a little longer than what the figure naturally is, but it almost fits it. I did the knee mod on the figure itself, & the transformation is almost 100% like the G1 transformation. The next trick I have to figure out, is how to attach the car doors to the arms, but still make them able to open & close in car mode. I pretty much figured out how to do the combiner footplate. I’m trying to eliminate all the robot kibble that I can. Either in individual or combiner form. With the police car, since the inner portion of Prowl’s legs are pretty much empty space, I am working on making the back of the shin/calf the foot plate for the combiner. That & maybe able to get the robot foot & rear windshield part of the car to turn into a ball socketed ankle joint. Something along the lines of MP-1 Prime. That way the combiner foot has some pose ability, & not limited to movement like the FansProject Bruticus foot.

I was looking at getting a 1:72 (48) JayHawk for the helicopter. It’s about 10 inches wide (because of the rotar blades), & roughly a little over 9 inches long nose to tail. I just have a concern of how long the cabin of the copter is. Measurements don’t need to be exact, but fairly close on. I’ve spoken to a few model shops, & 1 actually gave me the contact information to the model producer. So hopefully they can give me some answers. I’m thinking that I might be able to hide the combiner hand in the nose of copter… but I just want to make sure that the lengths of van, car, motorcycle, & helicopter are about the right size. Been a little hard to figure that out.

And lastly… would you mind me asking how you disassemble a MP seeker head? Not that I am going to it… but I would like to see the inner workings of it so that I might use something similar for my copter head. A happy face, & an angry “I’m going to kick your butt” face.