Keep Weaving or want Welker back?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Soundatron, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

As we all know since March Hugo Weaving was casted for the voice-role of Megatron instead of original G1 voice-actor, Frank Welker. For Michael Bay felt his voice showed alot of aging and wasn't fitting for what he wanted.

Now a handful of us have seen the movie now and perhaps the late night clip. The question is did Hugo Weaving deliver justice to the role or does the fan-boy in you still want Frank Welker?

I admit I was slightly p.o.ed at the news in March but still felt Hugo was capable as long as he didn't sound like BW Megatron. But Welker not getting a role period is just...CRIMINAL! But when my g/f and I watched Megatron come to life and speak we both were laughing, enjoying the movie and were thrilled to here him just say "I am Megatron." I thought it was perfect it was deep, scary, evil and everything Megatron should be known for. I mean if the chance was given to replace Welker with Weaving in the cartoon as Megatron I'd be fine. Cause Weaving's voicing still made me think G1 Megatron, not BW, Armada or anything else. Overall, I say keep him for sequels and just hand Welker a role for someone please. Make it be Soundwave if we get him in the sequel.

2. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked Weaving as Megatron. He did a good job without sounding like Agent Smith or Elrond, but I would have preferred Welker. He did the voice for the game and as far as I can tell, he sounds the same. If it were up to me, I'd bring Welker back for the sequel, assuming, of course, Megs is in the sequel. I'm hoping he will be since I'd like more banter between Megs and Starscream.

3. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

Weaving's Megatron was very menacing and powerful. Welker's G1 Megatron would not have fit the new look. When you hear Megatron in the movie say "I am MEGATRON!" and the final battle, Prime transforms and Megatron goes "PRIME!" it was just pure evil.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I'd keep him, I liked his voice. I just hope Megatron is back in the sequal. I'm sure he will be but you never know.

5. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    The first time he said "I am Megatron" was the only big disappointment I had in the movie. The rest of his lines were quite decent, in a Frank Welker-esque kinda way. But that first line... it literally felt like a smack in the face from Mr. Bay. I hate what a dramaqueen fanboy that makes me sound like, but it's how I feel. Hugo did a good job, but he was NOT Frank Welker.

I'd keep Hugo if it meant we could get rid of Bay for the 2nd flick. Otherwise, bring on Frank. I'm sure after the treatment he got at the end of the movie, Megs WOULD sound somewhat older and different.

6. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

I liked Weaving. He was able to represent the pure evil that is Megatron.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Frank's voice as Megatron and was disappointed (extremely) that he didn't the part but IMO, his voice doesn't fit "movie" Megs who looks kinda organic in nature i.e. exo-skeleton-like...from such a design, I expect a really evil voice and sinister voice.

Frank's Megs sound like more more dignified and grand...hard to describe...and not suited for an "over-the-top" design like movie Megs.

8. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    I thought Hugo did an awesome job. When he told Sam that he would consider sparing his life to make him his pet I about lost it. To me, that was 100%, old school Megatron.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Actually, Hugo's Megs reminded me of BW's Megs especially when he called out Prime.

10. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Actually his voice reminded me of the voice actor for Ravage from The Agenda episode. That's who I felt as if I were listening to.

All in all, the voice acting didn't bother me at all. I thought I would be upset about it, but after watching the movie...I found that I could care less.

Personally, I'd rather have Kaye as Megatron.

11. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    I agree that Hugo Weaving should stay. He brought an "umph" to Megatron that I didn't hear in Welker.

Heather

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I have to check out Ravage's voice in BWs again but this megs reminded me of Kaye's BW's Megs! XD

13. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I dunno, I think he sounded a lot like Welker from G1, if it wasn't intentional then the studio did a good job reminding me of G1

14. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Weaving, definitely. Just listen to what he says to Starscream. Pure Megatron.

I've heard Welker in the video game, and he just doesn't do it for me in this setting.

15. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Hugo Weaving for me, I demand consistency! Besides, he did do a good job. This is one of the most menacing Megatron voices I've ever heard, totally fitting the image of the character. Weaving managed to perfectly lend an almost BW Megatron kind of sophistication to the voice, while blending in a few sinister and beast-like snarls and growls, which made me feel yes, this Megatron is cunning and downright scary at the same time.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weaving -is- movie Megatron. Welker's performance in the games was alright, but in terms of being in tandem with the design I felt Weaving's was more effective.

17. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I thought Weaving did a great job. I would love Welker to do a voice in movie 2 for sure.

18. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

When I heard about Weaving being Megs my only thought was "Oh GOD, he's gonna pop up and yell 'Give me the Allspark, Mr. Witwicky!'". Thankfully that didn't happen. And I was pleasently surpised and would love to see Weaving do the voice in the sequels and any future series.

19. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Welker could work for Megatron though in the sequel. He got overpowered by the allspark, blasted on and dropped in the sea and time passed on. The voice could work then. I'm not saying we should but it could work.

20. cms64

cms64 Active Member

I couldn't hear half of Megatron's lines. I think Hugo Weaving should stay. though.