Keep G1 or CHUG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by King Henrik, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    KEEP G1... depending on condition of course... Harder to find even harder to replace. Unless your G1 collection is limited to popular figures that will be reissued every 10-20 years, then it's a matter of taste.

2. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

Like most 30+ collectors, you grew up with G1. The toon and the toys defined your childhood like the rest of us. Nostalgia is a huge factor in collecting and Classics just don't create that connection on the same level. (But they are neato) Keep in mind, you can always buy the new stuff, fiddle with it a bit, then sell em off.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've thought about the same thing a bunch of times. I don't think Classics will ever be fully complete the way a G1 collection can be. I just don't see them remaking every single figure that came out in the 80s. Sure they'll hit most of them, but when you get to things like the Triggerbots, Firecons, deluxe insecticons, spychangers... I just don't see it happening, even with 3rd party fill ins. So that's something to consider. That's part of why I haven't sold off my G1 stuff.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you really want to get rid of one, get ride of the Classics and keep the G1.

5. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:

money and space are of equal concern really, i have 3 huge wall mounted shelves and an entire bookcase for transformers, basically containing my g1, chug and 1 shelf for the really big expensive figures (masterpieces, unicron and primus and a few favorites). and then i have 4 huge crates of everything else(RiD, Alts, AEC, Movie, etc) packed at away in my moms attic, but she's in the process of selling her house so that space won't be available much longer.

So basically buying new figures is not only a financial burden, but then i have to figure out how to squeeze them into the shelves, or what to take down to make room. i've already decided not to buy prime figures and i barely bought any movie 3 figures, but i still enjoy going to stores "hunting" for figures. My g1 collection has slowed as well the last thing i bought was nightbeat at least a year and a half ago if not more... my g1 set is by no means complete, but i have most of the characters that are important to me, so most of what i would be buying for g1 would be for completions sake.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you are 30 the same as me and I would never sell of the G1. Of course I only collect g1 so I dont have to decide. The G1 are a part of me, it was the toys I was brought up with, the cartoon I followed. I love the toys and think most of them are brilliant. I would never ever sell of G1:s in favour of Classics.

But if you like the update look more and that is asthetic appealing to you then the originals then sell fo the G1, just think hard if you do. Hunting down good G1 figures (if that is what you have) will both be hard and costly if you regrett yoursell later on while classics still dont cost much more then retail.

7. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    It really depends on what you will regret getting rid of. I value my Classics more than my G1 and both are last on list if I had to get rid of something. Stuff that I wanted to get rid of I'll place to the side and ponder if I get rid of it, will I miss or regret it? If I do, then it stays. If not, off it goes.

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Dump anything that isn't chug.

9. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would say keep the G1 like most collectors are age we grew up with G1. I sold some of my G1 at one time and ended up buying them back. Either way if you were to decide to collect both again Chug would be cheaper and easier to find in the condition you want. I ran into the same problem as you and decided to stop collecting third party.

10. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This..:) 

11. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't get rid of your G1. I gave all my old Transformers to my little cousins when I was about 12 and had stopped playing with them. Huge mistake. It was cool visiting my old collection at their house every once and awhile. A few years later, they were all smashed and broken. Not even going to start trying to collect those again. Just started collecting Transformers with my son and the new ones are so much more fun to play with. So, if you are going to keep them in a box and sit on a shelf on display, I would keep the G1 stuff. If you are going to play with them with your own kids one day, stick with the CHUG stuff. Can't comment on the Animated stuff because I don't know anything about them.

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

This, times a million!! Keep the G1's and get rid of the G1 wannabes (classics) and the Pokeformers!

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    from CHRISR291

Classics feel like toys........ G1's feel like a piece of history

That pretty much says it all.

Do you want a toy collection or a piece of history. When you decide that you will decide which to lose.

14. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Keep your G1's, they will be so much harder to replace if you regret the decision later. Classics not so much.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    A related question.

Currently while skimming through ebay I have noticed the price on G1's being a lot lower than I recall. It also feels like most Classic figures have gone up in price, soem to ridiculous levels.

Obviously G1 will always hold value due to being the first/ the roots of TF lore. But do you all think Classics will hold value in the long run or are prices high now just because of the hype it has carried for the last couple of years?

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Keep the classics figures and those G1 figures you don't have a Classics replacement for.

The only Transformer I regret for not having anymore is my G1 Grimlock. If you don't have Masterpiece Grimlock, and you have G1 Grimlock. keep him as well. And a Powermaster Prime should not be given away.

17. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I couldn't have said it better myself. G1 is what brought me to the dance. If anything I would ditch everything else and keep both lines. A majority of my G1 collection is boxed so I leave those alone and use the classics figures when I need something to mess around with.

If you have to choose between classics and G1, keep G1. If later you regret your decision, it will be far cheaper to repurchase the classics figures than G1 (this assumes you have a fairly sizeable G1 collection).

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I disagree. I always wanted the toys to look like in the cartoon and Classics do. The original toys don't. Some look even superior to the original design. Only Rodimus could look a bit more like in the cartoon. But look at his G1 toy, that looks really shitty. Only Hot Rod looks somehow ok.

19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I really think that you should as some say, box up either the G1 or the Chug collection and keep them.

I know they are growing in size and all, but I think you will regret it if you sold it.

I fell in love with G1 recently and I am trying to get what I can. At the same time, I am still collecting Classics and MP/Alt/PP line.

I plan on doing a pic of G1 with Classics and MP Style. I think to appreciate history, you need both the past and the present. So by having both G1 and classics you have both. The MP is the pinacle of the whole thing. MPs are the size of the toy as we remember them when we were kids.

That's just my two cents. But if you decide to sell your G1 collection, please drop me a line. I would be happy to take any off your hands.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

If I was given the choice I would keep the G1 and make some nice coin off the overpriced CHUG figures.