Keep collection preserved?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Nov 4, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Me and my uncle were talking.... I was telling him how I got a bunch of new transformers and he said if your going to collect them and keep them forever.... How are you going to keep them in good condition though out the years....
    So my question is how do I keep my collection preserved with out putting it away in boxes....

I figured you just clean them off once in a bit when rearranging my collection.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I do wonder if there is a way of avoiding discolouring.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Meh, I just keep them all on shelves in my collection room, dust them off every once in a while and not throw them around the place.

I mean, G1s and their boxes have survived this long, I don't see why they won't last the rest of my lifetime.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I leave them out in the open. My top figures (Optimus Primal, Megatron, Dinobot), I dont have to worry about dust much. I do checks on them every two days. The others I just use a air can during the start of a new month.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't bother to try that hard. They won't keep "forever," and I don't plan to keep them "forever." If you don't play with your figure, they'll of course last you longer than if you do. Keep them relatively clean, try to avoid long daily doses of direct sunlight, and you should be fine. They'll be fine for as long as it is that I keep these guys.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

This would be an interesting episode for that TV series Life After People. What would happen to our toys when we're gone?

7. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL I was just thinking that.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Seal them in vinegar-filled bottles.

9. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Formaldehyde? Seriously, I've contemplated this for some time and finally came to the conclusion that they'll get me through my second childhood. After that, best of luck to them.

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I don't think that far ahead or think that hard about preserving my TF toy collection. I try to live for today & not 50 years from now.

11. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I mean, I am going to display my transformers as long as they look cool or hold my interest. Throughout, I will occasionally dust them off and do my best to display them in the best environment that promotes their longevity. But the sad thing is, sooner or later, the paint is just going to fade/chip due to age. It doesn't even have to be because I did a poor job taking care of them. I just hope that I lose interest in transformers before then so that I can give them to my children or nieces and nephews so they can get some enjoyment out of them.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    :lol 

Besides displaying them in a pitch black room that never sees any sunlight (that's no fun), What else could you do to protect them? Wrap them one-by-one in bubblewrap? Yeah but that's no fun either... :lol 

13. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I just wrap mine in non-acidic plastic bags, pad them with bubble wrap, stick them in small plastic tubs, and stick those into larger plastic tubs, nesting doll style. :) 

14. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my son will probably keep them if he grows up nerdy like me. if not, he'll probably give them away or sell them for cheap. i don't mind either way. (by that time, i can't, even if i want to)