Keep Classics Grimlock, or sell to another member?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Dec 8, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, I found Classics Grimlock last week, and I decided to sell it at the paid price to a board member here, because I'm basically getting out of TF collecting. However, now that I think about it and look at pictures online, he actually looks like a pretty good figure. Nice homage, nice mold, etc. But, then I saw the results of the "Rate Your Favorite Classics" poll, where Grimmy was consistently placed in or near the bottom of everyone's list.

Long story short - is Grimlock worth keeping, or would it be better to just sell him to another board member?

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Keep him! He's a nifty figure.
    He's in the bottom because Jetfire's so good and there's no Starscream in the poll, maybe.

Why are you getting out of TF collecting? :( 

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep him. He looks 10X better in person than in any pics.Yeah alot of classics are better, but Grimlock rocks too.

4. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Just because I'm moving on. I mean, I'll still collect the odd figure that I find amazing or really great (like MP-Megatron), but I was a mold-completionist with Energon, and I bought around 10 figures from Cybertron, and with the Classics, there are even fewer figures I find appealing (for instance, even though Prime looks great, I don't feel like I need another "homage" Prime after Energon/Cybertron/Masterpiece Prime). At current, I have about a third (perhaps even less) of my collection displayed, and I feel even that may be a bit overwhelming (in terms of how many I have out).

I guess, too, I'm just seeing a trend, both in myself and the community. Ie, Energon came out - "This is the best TF line EVER!" and I bought into it, and I still believe that Energon had some of the best TFs we've seen in the past 10 years (like the gestalts, Wing Convoy, Shockblast, and the Omni/Terrorcons). Then, Cybertron - "This is the best TF line EVER!" and I truly did see some good figures there (Optimus, Galvatron, Primus, etc). And now, Classics - "This is the best TF line EVER!" where I'm seeing some really stand out figures (like Jetfire), and there are maybe a couple figures I want just for the updated homage (Bumblebee, Grimlock, Jetfire, and possibly Megatron later on down the road)

I regret buying all the Energon TFs I did - a lot were cool, but some I just really did not need to get (Snowcat? Signal Flare?), and bought them on impulse because I thought Energon would be the be-all end-all. So, maybe it's not so much that I'm getting out of collecting - it's that I'm becoming an increasingly casual collector, to the point where I believe that after the movie, I may stop altogether (except for those truly great pieces).

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

If you already told that board member they can have it, that would be the 'ethical' thing to do.

6. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Actually, I didn't tell them they could have it. I offered it for sale on the Junkion, and they responded, but I didn't answer.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like Syd, I'm curious how come you getting out of TFs? A new hobby? Other priorities in life? IMO Grimlock's a niffy toy but could have been 'bigger'.

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Hey, hey, where ya been, man? I haven't seen you around, thefrozenred!

My vote? Sell it! Worst....Classic..yet....I REALLY don't like it whatsoever. Grimlock is a T-rex, not a raptor. Sell it, no, wait, buy another and sell it too, and then buy yourself Jetfire witht he money who is, conversely, the best Classic ever.

However, I'd be glad to buy Grimmy from you as I need 2 to complete some orders for other fans I have going.

9. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Yeah, sort of. Collecting just doesn't hold the same thrill that it once did, especially given that I see a majority of the figures I have out and say to myself, "Well, this really isn't one of the BEST figures of the line," but that I bought out of wanting a new fig or because I thought it looked cool at the time.

And, two, at my other house, I only have about 7 or 8 Alternators displayed, and a few ML Iron Mans, and with that many, I get to really see and appreciate each every day. At the house I'm currently at, I have around 30 or so displayed, and I know for a fact that I probably wouldn't notice if one of them was missing one day. I just can't appreciate that many figures in my everyday life, even if it's just casting a glance that particular way.

So, for me right now, downsizing is a good plan.

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

My vote is to keep Grimlock. I think it's an awesome toy. Could he have been a little better? Yes - as someone pointed out, his gun/sword would've been better with an extra handle to hold as a sword. But if you're a Grimlock fan (who isn't?) he's just terrific.

As for the earlier comment about him not being a raptor, he looks like a T-Rex to me. Bear in mind that, if I understand these matters correctly, we now know a lot more about T-Rex than we did back during G1 (appearance, how they walked, etc), and I think that Classics Grimlock is a reflection of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus_rex#Posture

11. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

i vote in favor of sell!

And get the G1 dinobots if you do not have them~.

12. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Nah, I don't go for the G1 stuff. Too difficult (and WAY too pricey) to find them in great condition.

And, given that I'm phasing out of collecting, the last thing I want to do is spend upwards of a hundred dollars on an old action figure. :p 

13. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

keep him

hes cool

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd keep him. I'm keeping both of mine.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd say keep it but I'm fairly biased.

16. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Grimlock's okay, but he's not the greatest. He's cooler than some of the recent figures we've gotten in years past, but he's not the super duper figure that everyone seems to be raving about.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sell (or trade) him to me :) 

Me me me me

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Sell it. If you have to look for reasons to keep it, then it's obviously not a toy you really want to begin with.

In my opinion, Grimlock is the worst Classic next to Megatron and looks nothing like his G1 counterpart. The engineering of the toy might be impressive (like Megatron), but that's not the point... as you already know.

There's no doubt that Classics as a whole is probably the best pseudo ongoing TF line next to Alt's, but that also doesn't mean you have to collect them all. I'm skipping Grimlock, the 2-pack Prime vs Megatron set and that sorry excuse of a Constructicon set for these very reasons. They might have the Classics tag slapped onto them, but it doesn't automatically make them good, contrary to what the majority of hardcore "whatever Hasbro releases with a G1 name on it rules!" fans might proclaim.

19. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

See, I feel totally opposite. He looked badass in the pictures, but when I opened him, he was a terrible disappointment. If it weren't for the Prime/Megs 2 pack and Hot Rod, he'd be my least favorite.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I understand, though I wasn't very keen on Energon except for Shockblast and starscream.
    Sounds like it's not just a matter of Grimlock,eh. I noticed you weren't posting as much as you used to, either. (But I don't visit comic forum or GD so you might've been just as active there, if that's the case, pardon me.)

Buying only what you like is always a good plan.
    It doesn't have to be "collecting", just buy whatever catches your fancy and enjoy them :) 
    I hardly display any of my toys, to me they are toys to be played with when you feel like it. Most of them are in plastic tubs.

But anyway if you like Grimlock the character and not interested in G1 original, Classic Grimlock is a nice piece. He won't take up much room, either ;)