Keep CGI after TF: Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Apr 16, 2012.

?

Do you want the next Transformers cartoon to use CGI?

1. Use more high quality CGI like in TFP.

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Use cheaper, lower quality CGI.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Go back to Cel Animation.

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  4. Use another animation form that I haven't heard of.

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

After how limited Transformers Prime is, due to its expensive CGI, I'm wondering how many people want the next Transformers series to be CGI.

I don't want the same high quality CGI in the next series because I hate how restricted Prime is. However, I find the CGI in most series to be ugly. I did like BW but apparently, people hate that and I'm afraid that will put people off. Therefor, I want the next Transformers series to be standard cell cartooning.

2. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I kinda like the CGI, but I'd like to see a much bigger cast in the future, which would really only be feasible with a traditionally animated show. Cheaper CGI wouldn't look as nice and it would be a step backward, in my opinion, to do anything less than what Prime has given us (2D animation is NOT a step back; it's simply a different medium). Plus, I'm quite fond of traditional animation, so I would love to see a return to that.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Claymation. Make it happen.

4. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Real life. They put the robots in shows at theatres rand they fight destroying building which hasbro has to pay to repair

5. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

use both cel anime and cgi

6. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Just like Energon/Cybertron? Um. No thanks.

I prefer to stick to CGI. Makes it more... alive. Cel animation is good, but it have its... oddness. It doesn't feel real. Just a cartoon and they don't even have a sense of weight.

No, I prefer CGI.

7. ken8kuhletz08

ken8kuhletz08 JKC

News Credits:
    How about the one they did with "Amazing World of Gumball"?

:lol  jk

8. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really patience for traditional cel cartoons unless they have very high budget animation, so CGI

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd prefer a slick cel animated show, even if simplified a bit to make the characters easier to draw. But failing that, high quality CGI is good too. Would prefer a few more "every people" for humans in crowd scenes though.

10. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Don't know why people are saying Prime is so limited. If they mean we can't have a cast of 40+ characters I actually find that somewhat better. It really lets us get to know the characters better when it's limited to a smaller cast. And the CG is great. I really like Prime.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love cel animation, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen with Transformers again. Unless it's the cheapola flash animation look of something like Rescue Bots, which I can't look at.

So as long as the shows are likely to be CG from now on, I vote for high quality CG.

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Young Justice style 2D animation FTW.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If you mean the CGI for the TFs themselves then it still runs into the same problem TFP does by new character models costing to make.
    At least cel animation does offer a cheaper opportunity to populate backgrounds with crowds, but then on the flipside they have to be redrawn every time. At least once a CGI model is made it can be replicated and recoloured and used over and over.

Part of me does want a combination of CGI and cel, but it would have to be done in a way that the two mediums aren't at odds with each other on screen at the same time. So far I've not seen a combination that doesn't look kinda crappy.

I think for fully CGI to work better they'd need to start putting together model packs far sooner so the early stages of a series don't seem so empty. Have sets of bodies to mix and match parts to create more crowd variations. Same with vehicles and scenery and buildings. I would say buy in models from other companies but since each show has its own style and look I suppose it would make those items not match their surroundings very well and everything would look disjointed.
    Also CGI in telly shows rarely seem to be able to find a happy medium with lighting. It's either too dark so details get lost (or the darkness is used to hide limitations of the medium) or it's too light and everything then looks plasticcy and like early computer game FMV.

Given the ulitmate choice I think I'd go for a full-on cel animated show. I think it looks nicer and more can be done with it. With CGI models you're pretty much limited in what you have and what it can do once built. And I'm sure so many cool ideas will have been dropped from the TFP show because it would've meant building a new model just for that one idea. Traditional animation has something called Line Cost or Pencil Cost (I forget what it's called exactly) where it's costed out to determine how long it would take to draw an element, so cel animation does have limitations too, but those are easier to get around with modern computer processes to help.

I demand 'Transformers: Fingerbobs'.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    CGI, the latest and greatest as possible.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Go back to cel animation. When I look at how amazing DC animated movies look or Marvel Animated and Marvel Anime or the Thundercats Cartoon, I want something similar for Transformers and the rocking style from IDW and best would be, if they pen the stories as well.

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah, like Ghost in the Shell :) 

And you think CGI feels real? They all look like plastic. Cel animation at least looks like beautiful, animated art (if done right and not like a Cartoon Network show) and feels more worth it than CGI.

17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

If I knew a program that can add special effects like lasers and Green Screen, I could do that.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    No CGI.

The technology/budget just isn't there yet. It's why we've got ghost towns, lots of featureless locations, almost no incidental humans, lots of generics (Vehicons, Terrorcons, MECH, even the vehicles [How many times have we seen that beaten up pick-up truck?], etc.) no protoforms, extremely superficial battle damage, awkward running animations, and so forth.

Beyond almost anything else, nothing else has pulled me out of an episode faster than in a situation like in the episode "Masters and Students"; where Skyquake is clearly an Earth Jet, but it's a plot point that he doesn't have an alt-mode and can't transform until he scans a jet which co-incidently looks exactly like his alt mode kibble.

Cel allows for a lot more flexibility that CGI just can't offer.

19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Whatever they do, I want it to fit the mood of the series, the scope of the series and be done as high-quality as possible.

If they want to focus on a small team in one area - go high-end CGI, if they're making more of a large-world exploration show, go high-end 2D.

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the realistic feel of CGI in Prime, so yeah I'd love to see it be used again.