Kanji: need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnicronHound, Feb 1, 2009.

1. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey there, I need to know if someone here actually know the Kanji symbol for God, I don't trust the internet because it's likely to say "I'm gay" instead of God, and I don't need a false statement on my body until I could afford laser removal. Any help would be appreciated

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't be that guy.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, isn't it the symbol on Goku's back when he trains at Kami's lookout?

5. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    That can be right too, but sometimes it also means "sky".

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry, no, not you. I was attempting to slyly warn the OP not to be the guy that doesn't read Chinese/Japanese/Whatever is trendy at the moment who gets a tattoo in that language. May as well get a tribal pattern tramp stamp while they're at it and perhaps a butterfly or dolphin on their ankle.

7. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    llamatron just so that you know I wanted to know the God kanji is because the meaning of my name is God. I ain't doing something trendy, I'm not some fool who falls in line with everyone else, also if I was get Native American styled tribal(no I don't have tribal tats) it would only be to show pride in my Native American ancestry.

8. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Kanji for God is the same as the Chinese equivalent. Actually, you coulda just checked on Wiktionary.

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
  10. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

Just make sure you do full research on the concept of the character you're tattooing on your skin because of your name. The term "kami" and it's Chinese equivalent is a very different concept from "God" or most of our ideas of the "gods". It's just a loose translation. I think "kami" in Japan is most associated with the Shinto faith, and kami exist in everything. In every individual tree, in every individual rock, kami exist. Stuff like that. It's just not enough to know the character and its closest translation is all I'm saying.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ahhh. So kami can be pronounced as shin as well?

I've always wondered about that because I do know that kami means god but then I've seen the same character pronounced as shin as well like:

[​IMG]

So how do we know when it's supposed to be pronounced shin or kami? Are there ways to tell?

In Mandarin it's strictly pronounce shen so I've always had the habit of pronouncing it shin in Japanese all the time.

12. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

That's something that confuses a lot of people just starting to learn Japanese or who just look up words in the dictionary and whatnot. In Japanese there's different readings for the same kanji.

"Shin" is one of the On-yomi for that kanji. On-yomi readings are usually readings borrowed from Chinese (don't ask me which dialect, this stuff's ancient anyways, I don't know) . Notice its similarity to "shen". Another reading is "jin" (which is "shin" changing shi to ji). In most cases the on-yomi is only used in combination with OTHER kanji to create words. You generally don't use it when the kanji is alone.

"Kami" is the Kun-yomi. It's the Japanese reading. Kun-yomi is almost always used when the kanji is stand alone. So if you're referring to a spirit/god you say "kami" but if you're referring to a shinto shrine (made of two kanji, one of which is the same as "kami") you say "jinja".

So when it's on its own you should generally pronounce it "kami". There's still things like "kamikaze" (divine/god + wind) that are correct too so the rules aren't set in stone.

Another example is the kanji for "mountain". I think in Mandarin mountain is "shan"? The on-yomi reading is "san" and sometimes "zan". The kun-yomi is "yama". So mountain is yama and is written with one kanji while a volcano or "fire mountain" is kazan (ka being an on-yomi for "fire") and is written with the kanji for fire and the kanji for mountain.

Edit: and when all that just gets too confusing the Japanese tend to write the pronunciation down in small font next to the kanji anyways

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ahhh. I get it.

I've always wondered what the kana next to kanji were for too.

Thanks for clearing that up!