Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by onesock, Dec 1, 2007.

1. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't see a thread about this game, so I figured I'd make one. I've fallen in love with this game. Great story, gameplay, characters, and the graphics aren't too shabby either.

Anyone else playing this game?

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
  3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

3rd person?

4. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Im boycotting the game over the situation. and stopped going gamespot....

so alas I wanted to play but Im not due that kind of shit.

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly he has been with Gamespot from the start. I am also hearing suggestions he might end up either starting a new sight himself or being the front man for a new sight. But these are rumors that might be bordering on wishful thinking.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i got the game, its quite good imo, but still has some big flaws, another case of a game being rushed out for xmas. it seems to be the case for a lot of 'blockbusters'.

the covering system/controls are a bit too loose, plus the cover doesn't always seem to actually 'cover' you. the radar - why does it dissapear?! it should stay on screen the whole time! this combined with the game not always being clear about where you have to go and what you have to do make it quite frustrating, add to that the fact its quite easy to die, so you will find yourself doing sections over again and resorting to trial and error.

and lastly, no online coop. the game is alot better in coop by miles, but the camera in some sections (the shooting out of the back of the van for example) screws up so you can't see anything! nuts. there are also some bits where you have to wait for kane to do something before you can, so you are waiting ages with nothing to shoot at.

that being said though, there are some epic gunfights, the last one on the way to the boat is fucking crazy, and the tokyo nightclub level is awesome.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Tokyo Nightclub made me say "Wow" a lot. True story, ask Smang.

9. smangerbot

true dat.

10. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Kane & Lynch has a weird impact on my roomate. She has no idea what the game is about and she is incredabily curious about it. She wants to play it so she can finally figure what's going on with it. Best I did to explain it to her, from what I understand, is "Bad guys in a bad situation"

11. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  13. smangerbot

there's a good post on penny arcade about the whole thing.

14. DaggersRage

I don't understand, what happened with this reviewer and gamespot?

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Got the game a few weeks ago. It's got some good stuff going out, despite having some flaws that can detract from enjoying the game. I have had some crazy fire fights thought. I agree with the Tokyo Nightclub. That was pretty intense, as well as that huge gun fight after you rob the bank towards the beginning of that game. That fight was on the same level of crazyiness like in the movie Heat.

16. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

It is rumored (and most likely true) that Jeff Gertsmann was fired over a 6.0/10 K&L review -- as GameSpot had a deal with Eidos where the *entire site* could be reskinned in a K&L theme at the same time as that review ran. Penny Arcade's comic sums it up nicely, and Joystiq's got pretty good coverage of it. 1UP staffers had an impromptu protest over it, and others are apparently planning protests at CNET HQ this weekend.

The one decent argument I've heard against the theory is that the review was posted 2 weeks before he was fired. An anonymous poster at Valleywag claims that this was on purpose, since many/most holiday games ship pre-Thanksgiving, and the management wanted all those reviews up BEFORE canning Jeff G., since they knew no one on staff would want to post reviews for ANYTHING afterwards.

It was an incredibly dumb move by CNET. Regardless of what may/may not have happened, they've effectively flushed the GameSpot brand down the tubes. As for Eidos ... does anyone take them seriously anymore?

-XCN-

17. DaggersRage

Jeez, if they didn't want to have a bad score they coulda done uhm... oh I dont know, DID A BETTER JOB!

18. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I've pretty much disregarded GS as a reliable source. They pretty much shot themselves in the leg. I guess people don't really put much thought into their actions before they do something. If GS did, they wouldn't be getting such a backlash from the community.

19. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jeff Whats-his-face got what he deserved. Hell, if you don't like the game, don't fucking play it.

He lost me at, "unlikeable characters". Bullshit. Lynch is up there as one of my all-time favorite characters in a video game.

20. DaggersRage

I've checked a few other reviews about K&L, it looks each review shares a similar ugly truth to the game, such as it's game mechanics being flopped.

Anywho, I'm going to at least rent it cause I want to know what it's all about.