Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Looks more serious than some of the previous attempts with masked rider and other series.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That actually looks really awesome. I hope I to remember to watch it.

4. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

:O

I've read about it, and because of the fact that the CW4Kids is making it, I can't help but feel epicness.

If it isn't as awesome as this, I'm suing them.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Can not wait! I'm excited about being able to get Kamen Rider action figures for less than $10.

No they're not. It's just being shown on the 4Kids block. They had nothing to do with making this show.

6. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Wait, CW4Kids is gonna air something THIS EPIC!? My god, 4Kids finally does something right!

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd love to see them air Ultra man Nexus and just dub it. That was a good series that would work well over here.

8. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Henshin Justice Unlimited is putting up special KRDK stuff all week. So far, they have interviews with two of the lead actors, plus the head writer, and the first 2 minutes of this Saturday's episode.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They showed the first episode this morning as a sneak peak. It was great. I'll post it once it's uploaded somewhere.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I forgot. :( 

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanna see this- I don't think it'll be as great as Ryuki but I really am happy that they're not trying to replicate the Ryuki story word for word. Acting looks hammed up so far but eh, it's a saturday morning kids' show (and Kamen Rider is no stranger to hammed performances). ;) 

*edit*

If you have a facebook account, here's a really nice-quality clip from the episode:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103664115623

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  12. Aberration

News Credits:
    A low-res VCR version has been upped to YouTube:
    YouTube - condenetwork's Channel

Just a warning, this episode has a lot more setup than action. Which I actually liked, but you may want to lower your expectations accordingly if you're hoping for a lot of Rider fighting.

I'll post my complete thoughts once more people have a chance to watch, but overall I'm liking what I'm seeing. Plus, I never expected to see a certain SNL alum on TV again, much less this show (still don't think she's funny though).

13. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ryuki was the first Kamen Rider series I've seen completely, and what got me hooked into the current shows. I've been looking forward to seeing how this version was going to turn out, since it was announced a couple years ago. I saw the pilot for this series a couple months ago. It was alright, my biggest complaint was the music. Anyways, after seeing that clip Vangelus posted, I'm looking forward to the changes they made since the pilot. :) 

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Aberration posted a link to the whole episode.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't get why they'd have started off bringing Kamen Rider back to the US with Ryuki.

Personally, I'd have preferred if they'd have imported Kabuto. And for the love of all that is good, fixed the last half of that show.

Plus, you know... I could finally get myself that Gatack Zecter belt!

16. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

They started this project before Kabuto was even announced. :) 

17. Aberration

News Credits:
    Alright, here are my thoughts on the episode, highlight for spoilers:

- Title sequence is kinda uninspired, with the still photos of the Riders. I liked the theme song until the lyrics kicked in.

- That bit with the dad at the very beginning was kinda daring for a kid's show. Your standard show would've put a hazy border around that scene, and Kit would say, "Dad, is it really you? I've missed you so much, you've been gone for so long!" But by playing it straight, and then hitting you with the fact that it's a dream at the very end, that was cool.

- I thought the first scene with Kit in the police station did a great job of establishing the character. I like the idea that the hero is a troubled kid whose world fell apart when he lost his dad. (It reminds me a little of Ryan Steele, although that didn't occur to me until after the show was over.) I'm not completely convinced that Kit is innocent of all of the stuff he's been accused of, but we'll have to see about that.

- Things I Miss From The Good Old Days Of Power Rangers #1: Filming in California. No offense to New Zealand, which is beautiful too, but all the Power Rangers shows filmed there have a different feel for some reason.

- As I alluded to in my last post, I was a bit shocked to see Victoria Jackson in this show. I didn't really think she was funny on SNL, or this show, but at least they didn't get Rob Schneider.

- Things I Miss From The Good Old Days Of Power Rangers #2: Having a lead actor who's a martial artist. It's nice having a hero who can kick butt without having to morph or call on some contrived superpowers. Matt Mullins doesn't seem to be a strong actor (so far), but that didn't stop me from liking the original MMPR cast.

- I liked that Kit failed to save the girl this time, it gives him some room to grow, instead of making him the shining hero from the get-go.

- It's funny, once they get into the ADR booth, Mullins becomes a better actor than Stephen Lunsford.

- The Riders actually sound like they're talking while wearing a helmet, that's kinda cool!

- The ending felt kinda rushed, it could've used some breathing room between "kill giant spider" and "run from giant dragon"

Overall, I was impressed by the show, it definitely feels a little more mature than Power Rangers Jungle Fury. I'll be interested to see if they can keep this level of quality throughout the series.

18. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Where can I watch KR Dragon Knight online?

So far I've only watched bits of Ryuki, and completed Faiz,Blade,Kabuto,Den-O,Kiva...

19. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

That is probably because that whole sequence is still in the first episode of Ryuki. But you're right, it did seem to stop quite abruptly.

Overall I enjoyed the episode and cant wait to see what they do with the series as a whole.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like they followed the first ep of Ryuki pretty well if it ended on such an abrupt cliffhanger. :D 

As for why Ryuki went first, this is my theory:
    I think there were two points where a lot of non-Japanese internet-based folks got into Kamen Rider, and the first was Ryuki (second was Kabuto). Ryuki seemed to be a lot of peoples' first fully-watched Rider show, and I suspect at least one of the guys behind Dragon Knight are among that crop. So it was probably a case of their starting point being the first series they wanted to try bringing over.

Also, Ryuki has the whole 13 Riders thing and was a big departure from Kuuga and Agito, so as a standalone property it might've been easier to localize. That's all just guessing on my part though.